Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting, The Museum of Modern Art

About this Course

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

By CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

By KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

231 Reviews

By Leigh R. Hendry

Apr 18, 2019

Excellent course, very well taught. The instructor, Corey D’Augustine, was very low-key but inspiring. Really liked his teaching style and learned so much. He also has an exceptional voice that is easy to listen to through eight weeks of instruction. Hope that he will be teaching something else again soon.

By Karl Deacon Greene

Apr 17, 2019

By Hitomi Kato

Apr 02, 2019

This course was very meaningful to me. If you are interested in American modern art, I highly recommend taking this course.

By Gary P Heath

Apr 01, 2019

Super course. Really good. If you're out to learn something about Abstract Expressionism, or just have a general interest in painting, this course is for you. I particularly enjoyed the optional practicum element, and you should definitely try the exercises that are a fun way for a beginner to get familiar with oil paints and some interesting techniques. I started this course out of curiosity and became hooked; I intend to follow up with more reading and painting. A five-start effort by the whole MoMA team, I highly recommend In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting.

By Linda Bauer

Mar 27, 2019

Totally fascinating course that offered to me avenues to pursue with my own art, expression with materials, and compositions. I am extremely grateful for the time, the efforts taken to instruct, and inspire your students. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

By Clara Alejandra Susti

Mar 26, 2019

I loved this course! I really enjoyed it. The course content and flexible time management were great and ideal for me.

By DIEGO FELIPE BERMEO GASCA

Mar 25, 2019

Se aprende mucho en cuanto al arte abstracto y su implicación en la sociedad y la forma de transmitir los que se siente y lo que piensa. Muy buen material y metodología del profesor D'Agustine. Me gustaría que pudieran poner el curso en español al menos por los subtítulos. Gracias.

You learn a lot about abstract art and its involvement in society and how to transmit what you feel and what you think. Very good material and methodology of Professor D'Agustine. I would like you to be able to put the course in Spanish at least for the subtitles. Thank you.

By Jordan Whyatt

Mar 25, 2019

Fantastic DIY examples and a great look at several famous pieces.

By Nathan L. A.

Corey is the man.

By Michael Anzalone

Mar 13, 2019

Cory D'Auguestine is so adept in both his analysis and executions in the studio. I wish there were more courses like this. It allowed me to work in the manner of many artists that i admired growing in appreciation for the process and methodology.