Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

CG

Feb 25, 2019

This is the best art class I have ever taken. It offers a perfect mix of studio art/painting techniques and art history. Instructor Corey D'Augustine is fantastic. Thoroughly enjoyed this course!

KG

Apr 17, 2019

I have thoroughly enjoyed doing this course. It has proved useful in boosting my confidence in studying, as well as providing me with inspiration for my own work, both in painting and ceramics.

151 - 175 of 243 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Patricia G

Feb 20, 2018

This has been an excellent course that I would strongly recommend. I have learned so much during the 8 weeks that it will now be approaching my new paintings in a completely different light. Thank you for this wonderful experience.

By Julie H

Sep 11, 2017

I loved this course and learnt so much by doing it. The resources, both written and visual, were first rate, as we're the presenters. I have developed an understanding and appreciation of abstract art and it has spurred me on to read more on this topic. I have no hesitation in recommending this course. Thank you to the MoMA team for producing such an enjoyable learning experience.

By BILAL A A

Aug 06, 2017

thanks

By adv1066

Jul 12, 2017

Great Course

By IJE

Aug 08, 2017

enjoying this, well presented, easy to follow; love the practical insights re painting & how/why artists used the materials /techniques they did

By Eduardo G D

Nov 22, 2017

Estou gostando muito do curso Parabéns

By Martijn d L

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent introductions, great teacher and very motivating course.

Highly recommended!

By Shane T

Jan 14, 2018

I am almost half way through this course and am enjoying it immensely. The videos are excellent and the lecturers are knowledgeable and engaging.

By Alberto A E

May 18, 2017

Wonderful Course. I have been recomending it to all may artist friends. It will certainly have an effect in my own practice.

By Amanda E

May 24, 2017

Amazing coure! Corey was an excellent professor and showed great examples in the videos. I learned a lot of new material! Would gladly recommend it.

By Iván M B L

Oct 10, 2017

Excelent!

By Peter J W

Sep 06, 2017

Amazing class. Excellent instructor and selection of artists in the course. Opened an entirely new world of art to me.

By Petra C

Apr 22, 2018

This was a fantastic course, so interesting with superb resources. I particularly enjoyed the painting demonstrations and the film clips of discussions about the art works. A first rate course. Thank you!

By Aaron W

May 20, 2017

Really wonderfully run, and such interesting subject matter - really ignited an interest in me to paint!

By Caroline G

Jul 02, 2018

loved

By Guilherme D

Dec 28, 2017

Amazing.

By carter t

Feb 01, 2018

Excellent techniques, context, and history. Very interesting and nicely put together course.

By Lais D

Nov 06, 2017

Amazing!!!

By AJ G

Jun 19, 2017

Loved it. Thank you.

By Rosa P

Jul 22, 2017

I loved taking this course. I learnt a lot about the artists, mediums and techniques. Corey makes it really interesting and easy to follow. I would definitely take another class like this in the future. Thanks!

By Dee A

May 18, 2017

Excellent resources, challenging enough to be worthwhile, great balance between practical and factual learning. I loved it. Wish there was another course developing out of this one.

By Elisa P

May 28, 2018

Outstanding course. Very complete in every aspect. It was fascinating learning about the NYS painters and having guided hands-on practice of the techiniques. Thank you!

By Joan S P

Feb 19, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. Very informative. I loved in particular the videos demonstrating the techniques used by each artist.

By lorna z f

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent! Not boring at all. Plenty of well done reading materials and interesting links. My favorite part - "In the studio", I think I learned a lot and got motivation to do more.

Curators' and Corey's videos are informative, professional, involving. I would highly recommend this course.

By Merissa W

Nov 15, 2017

This was my first Coursea course and I absolutely loved it. I wish I had a little more time to participate in the studio activities, but I really enjoyed just watching the tutorials and learning the different artist techniques. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in modern art.