Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

151 - 175 of 529 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Stephie T

Jul 31, 2020

An excellent course with both analytical and practical applications. The course has given me artistic techniques that I can use as a starting point to develop my own work, as well as the ability to analyse a painting regardless of the movement.

By Stacy N

Nov 14, 2018

This was a really great course. The subject matter was very interesting, the instruction was outstanding and the studio work was very helpful for technique and process. I enjoyed it thoroughly and have more appreciation for abtract expressionism.

By Apryl-Annette C

Jun 18, 2018

I learned so much valuable information from this course; information and ideas that I will never forget. I got an opportunity to expand the avenues of expression within my art and that to me is priceless. Thank you MOMA and thank you Coursera.

By Helen M

Apr 5, 2021

Really liked that Corey D'Augustine took us through the media and method that each artist used. It was very informative in my appreciation for what each artist accomplished and deeply informed my appreciation of their work and experience.

By Ida M

Jul 25, 2020

Very good course, I especially enjoyed reading about unconventional artists and the efforts they shared, their sacrifices through their artwork. An enjoyable experience, allowing me ample time to read, watch videos and do the assignments.

By Tara G

Feb 19, 2021

I have loved this course! Corey is an engaging tutor and I have learnt so much. It has inspired me not just artistically but who I am as a person. I will strive to be true to myself, create authentic work and always seek the imperfection!

By Ally W

Jul 6, 2020

I'm so very glad I did this course. It is exceptionally well put together and thought out. It is detailed, flexible, engaging, multi-media experience, and I feel more well-rounded for it. I will recommend it to my friends. Keep it going!

By Julie R

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved this course. I learned a lot about some of my favorite artists. I especially appreciate the "In the Studio" lectures as I believe this has given me a much deeper appreciation for the artistry in Abstract Expressionism.

By Patricia G

Feb 20, 2018

This has been an excellent course that I would strongly recommend. I have learned so much during the 8 weeks that it will now be approaching my new paintings in a completely different light. Thank you for this wonderful experience.

By Milene D

Aug 10, 2017

I really loved this class! Everything was explained in a way that was easy for me to understand. Through the artwork of the artists focused upon in the syllabus I was able to 'see', create and experience art differently.

Thanks!!

By Keti R

Sep 2, 2020

The most interesting and useful course for me. I gained better understanding of contemporary art.

I would like to emphasize that the videos showing techniques were interesting, short and informative. Thanks to Corey du Agustin.

By Cristina P

Aug 4, 2020

I learn a lot from this course. I could reach one of my goals that were to know different techniques where I could apply tom my knowledge, So, the results were made a really good painting that there are exhibit in a coffee shop

By Inge F

Jun 26, 2020

Anyone who is interested in any kind of art should take this course! I have gained a huge understanding of modern art that is astonishing to me. I never would have expected too learn so much ! and I have enjoyed every moment .

By Sedigheh N A

Sep 17, 2020

This course was wonderful and I had never have the same subject in my previous degree. All the Modules, Announcements, Discussions, Assignments were great and I have never experienced such a great course before.

By BEATRIZ M V

Jun 15, 2020

Amazing experience. I loved the course , I can not wait to start another one. The material, the resources, everything was just great. I really did not expect to learn so much as I actually did. I would do it a thousand times.

By Natalya S

Jul 19, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and course content. Lecturer was a knowledgeable and engaging speaker. Highly recommend to anyone interested in learning about techniques and concepts of well known abstract artists from 20th c.

By luca s

Jan 23, 2018

Please spend time on this course, it is not only about the artists' ideas, the practical side is how the different painters created their style very interesting. Even when it looks simple there is a lot of craft behind it!

By Jan P W

Aug 6, 2020

A very interesting course about the process of many famous paintings by the Abstract Expressionists. Its good to learn how these paintings are made and under what circumstances. I learned a lot and recommend this course.

By Phil D

Jan 2, 2021

Absolutely brilliant. The perfect combination of teaching painting techniques together with insight to the artists and their paintings. For those interested in abstract art, I cannot recommend this course highly enough.

By Cheryl

May 18, 2017

I felt it was really helpful to get to know and practice the artists' techniques, even if for the ones who don't paint and don't intend to paint. Contemporary art needs guide and explanation more than other kind of art.

By Ashley R

Jun 6, 2020

This course was incredible! If you want to learn more about art and really dive into specific artists' works definitely take this class. I've learned so much and can't wait to try some of the techniques in my own work.

By Ronald R L

Jan 16, 2021

One of the great learning experiences.I wish I had taken this finely produced course years ago .Great teacher fantastic choices of art and artists.Comprehensive education covering so many facets .Well done indeed.

By Andrew E

Dec 1, 2017

Excellent course. Material was concise. Videos were truly excellent and to the point. Easily manageable across a busy week and I learned much more than I anticipated. Heartily recommended. Look forward to the next!

By Lucía M E P

Mar 28, 2021

I enjoyed the course, I loved it, I learned a lot, I appreciate the opportunity given by MOMA to learn from them and grow. I put my artistic skills to the test. I learned from other people and got great feedback!!

By Smita S

Jun 13, 2020

Very useful and informative course on Postwar Abstract painting. Learning from the comfort of home and flexible timings were added advantage. Thoroughly enjoyed the videos and learnt a lot from Corey d' Augustine.