Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

301 - 325 of 529 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Frode T

Mar 16, 2021

An excellent course with a fine mix of art history, colour and materials theory and practical exercises!

By Anna M O

Jun 17, 2017

Fantastic experience..emotions, technique, history of art.. a dream that came true. Thank you from Italy

By Aaron W

May 20, 2017

Really wonderfully run, and such interesting subject matter - really ignited an interest in me to paint!

By Ury L E M

Apr 14, 2020

Friendly, easy-understanding with a lot of useful information about Abstract artists. I do recommend it

By Andrejs V

Nov 12, 2020

Very exciting and interesting course, painters presented and their paintings and techniques described.

By Pantelis A

Jan 31, 2018

Very satisfied with the course. The highlight of the course is Corey D'Augustine's video instructions.

By Cecelia M

Jun 21, 2020

Changed my life! I feel so inspired and adept at talking about abstract expressionism now. Thank you!

By Donna F

I enjoyed this course greatly, especially the studio work. I would enjoy more courses like this one.

By Jillian L L

Nov 2, 2018

I throughly enjoyed this course and look forward to other MoMA courses in Art History in the future.

By Javier C

Jan 3, 2018

Interesting subject, carried out in a well and clearly structured way, which makes it easy to follow

By Ibikunle D

Feb 25, 2019

Most needed for the prospective, aspiring and experienced artists; skills and knowledge impacting.

By Anna W

Jan 8, 2019

I love this course! So informative and interesting. It feels like I'm learning loads. Thank you!!!

By Bryan B

Jul 6, 2020

Me gusto mucho este curso, aprendí bastantes técnicas sobre artistas del expresionismo abstracto

By Sophie f

Sep 6, 2017

Excellent course. Corey D'Augustine was a superb lecturer and coach. Cannot recommend it enough.

By Monica B

Jul 29, 2020

He aprendido mucho de historia, de arte y de muchos artistas. ha sido muy interesante el curso.

By Denis D

Jun 8, 2020

I learnt so much more than I anticipated. It was an insightful and thoroughly enjoyable course.

By Lily V G

Mar 20, 2020

Me encantó el curso ,los pintores escogidos ,y sobre todo las clases de como hacías sus cuadros

By mariam s

Mar 17, 2020

Exceptional course, I learned so much about modern art, I painted and Corey is amazing teacher.

By cian

Apr 19, 2017

Excellent all round course and the instruction videos are particularly good. Highly recommend.

By Andrea W

Sep 26, 2020

The instructor was excellent, but I don't like peer reviews. They add nothing to the course.

By Rachel C

Mar 20, 2021

Super, theory and practical. A+ The professor is great! I loved the variety of the material.

By Andrea J

Aug 8, 2020

It was a great course with a lot of practical painting idea and technique. Thank you for it!

By Noelia S

Thank you for this opportunity, I am thrilled with the class. Professor D'Agustine is great.

By Peter

Jan 16, 2020

I should say this is an excellent online course and well worth us to spend time on. Bravo.