Back to Particle Physics: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Particle Physics: an Introduction by University of Geneva

4.4

This course introduces you to subatomic physics, i.e. the physics of nuclei and particles. More specifically, the following questions are addressed: - What are the concepts of particle physics and how are they implemented? - What are the properties of atomic nuclei and how can one use them? - How does one accelerate and detect particles and measure their properties? - What does one learn from particle reactions at high energies and particle decays? - How do electromagnetic interactions work and how can one use them? - How do strong interactions work and why are they difficult to understand? - How do weak interactions work and why are they so special? - What is the mass of objects at the subatomic level and how does the Higgs boson intervene? - How does one search for new phenomena beyond the known ones? - What can one learn from particle physics concerning astrophysics and the Universe as a whole? The course is structured in eight modules. Following the first one which introduces our subject, the modules 2 (nuclear physics) and 3 (accelerators and detectors) are rather self contained and can be studied separately. The modules 4 to 6 go into more depth about matter and forces as described by the standard model of particle physics. Module 7 deals with our ways to search for new phenomena. And the last module introduces you to two mysterious components of the Universe, namely Dark Matter and Dark Energy....

VL
Mar 26, 2021

Way hard if you are not a science major! But the challenge is interesting. A quick advice : Refer to the slides if you find the accents too hard to understand.\n\nThank you for the great course!

MH
Aug 4, 2017

Challenging at first for someone with a non-traditional academic background, but thoroughly enjoyable and worth completing, if nothing but for the personal satisfaction of getting through it!

151 - 175 of 231 Reviews for Particle Physics: an Introduction

Jun 28, 2020

nil

By Arjun S

Jan 4, 2021

The course is thoroughly informative and engaging, however it does have a few downsides. First of all, the subject matter is of quite a high standard and due to there being no prerequisites listed, it is quite easy to sign up for the course and then subsequently be disappointed with the fact that the course content is difficult to grasp. As a high school student with a keen interest in physics, I was able to pass the course, however, I was not able to understand most of the mathematics involved due to them being of a significantly higher standard. Secondly, the accents are often quite impenetrable but that is not much of a problem due there being subtitles. Overall it was quite a positive experience.

By Jean S

Mar 5, 2019

Excellent course, I recommend it. You will need to review the material offline and do some outside research occasionally to understand the material, but overall, it is quite comprehensive. The optional videos are sometimes more interesting than the course videos, so don't skip them!! Martin Pohl is really fantastic as the main presenter and interviewer. Mercedes Paniccia has a heavy accent and intonations which make it difficult for us north americans, but she is obviously quite competent at the research level. I just wish the presentations were more interactive than static. Overall I give it 4 stars for the material covered and quality.

By Lane W

Aug 25, 2020

NOT AND INTRODUCTION

I feel badly giving this course anything less than four stars because the instructors put a lot of time into making it and I am VERY thankful that they offered the course for free to the world. I think it is a very noble thing.

There was value in the course for me for the first 2 or 3 modules but after that I hardly learned anything except some conceptual points about the Higgs Boson and Dark Matter because it was WAY above an entry level course. To get the most of the course you'd probably need to have either been exposed to it before or have a degree in it.

I am very thankful that they put it together though.

By Tyler C

Jul 18, 2017

Fascinating course covering the fundamentals of the standard model up to current research. The material is dense - I often had to look back at previous videos to remember terms and concepts. The key mathematics is provided and gone over, but was a little fast paced for me. Most derivations are left out except for a few optional videos which cover simple ones. You don't necessarily need to understand the details of the mathematics to pass the graded assignments which just ask a few questions covering the main concepts. Overall this course is challenging but incredibly instructive.

By Jana A

Aug 12, 2020

Very interesting course, but not for beginners. The information provided in the videos presupposed some knowledge in this field, which I unfortunately did not have. To understand the topics, I had to look for other sources. I would also welcome a terminological glossary explaining frequently used terms. A big problem for me was the English pronunciation of one lecturer. Otherwise, I rate this course very well. A number of things that interested me were clarified and I think it could be a good basis for further study.

By Samy S

Sep 17, 2017

It is a very nice introductory course which is supported with laboratory session which is an awesome idea, but the mathematics used in this course is somehow higher level to me, so I recommend if there is any source to learn the mathematics behind this lectures. last but not least I would like to thank all the staff working on this course especially Dr. Martin, Dr. Mercedes, Dr. Anna for their attractive and elaborating way of lecturing

By Somesh K

Jul 15, 2019

The course is very good in structure and content.I am now more familiar with physics and equations - how they describe the phenomena. The one thing about which I felt unease was that,I was not able to follow profs without subtitle and I also feel more explanation is required for some topics. But its all right they suggested many materials and videos from minute physics. The course is worth doing by aspiring scientists.

By KEVIN G A

Jun 14, 2020

It was a very marvelous experience. It provided me a wide variety of knowledge regarding complex and diverse phenomena. It sparked me in thinking about the fundamental and ' cause,' role of particles in physics. Really it has most scopes of pathbreaking and changing the realm of physics in future. The classes and optional experiments were very beautiful and informative , they often made us to think more and more.

By SAIKIRAN V

Jun 13, 2020

The course is very nice and after listening to the lecture videos if we go through the material provided we can easily finish the quizzes and graded quizzes of each module successfully.

They planned it very nicely and in the end, I felt like it is rushing but the topic itself is advanced so it is fine. Overall it is a very nice and useful course for the beginners in particle physics.

By gareth w

Jan 15, 2018

A whistle stop tour of particle physics at an undergraduate level. Electro-weak is covered in some depth and I would have liked the same depth on the Higgs mechanism. Not surprisingly due to U/Geneva's location near the LHC there is a strong emphasis on accelerators and particle detection.

Forum response to questions is poor.

By Arabindo D

Feb 17, 2020

The course is nice, but I give 4 stars because I prefer blackboard lectures more than that of only slides. The course is much descriptive. If it becomes more just like giving lectures with deriving some equations it would be fun. Overall the course is really good with a few self-studies and knowledge of bit advance physics.