Back to Particle Physics: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Particle Physics: an Introduction by University of Geneva

4.4

This course introduces you to subatomic physics, i.e. the physics of nuclei and particles. More specifically, the following questions are addressed: - What are the concepts of particle physics and how are they implemented? - What are the properties of atomic nuclei and how can one use them? - How does one accelerate and detect particles and measure their properties? - What does one learn from particle reactions at high energies and particle decays? - How do electromagnetic interactions work and how can one use them? - How do strong interactions work and why are they difficult to understand? - How do weak interactions work and why are they so special? - What is the mass of objects at the subatomic level and how does the Higgs boson intervene? - How does one search for new phenomena beyond the known ones? - What can one learn from particle physics concerning astrophysics and the Universe as a whole? The course is structured in eight modules. Following the first one which introduces our subject, the modules 2 (nuclear physics) and 3 (accelerators and detectors) are rather self contained and can be studied separately. The modules 4 to 6 go into more depth about matter and forces as described by the standard model of particle physics. Module 7 deals with our ways to search for new phenomena. And the last module introduces you to two mysterious components of the Universe, namely Dark Matter and Dark Energy....

MH

Aug 05, 2017

Challenging at first for someone with a non-traditional academic background, but thoroughly enjoyable and worth completing, if nothing but for the personal satisfaction of getting through it!

EP

Apr 23, 2017

Very interesting course. Quite difficult to pass week 6 due to a question on w boson quark transformation. Couldnt find answers in sylabus. Maybe just me. Overall excellant course.

26 - 50 of 184 Reviews for Particle Physics: an Introduction

By Shiyuan W

Feb 28, 2019

A bit too quick and doesn't go into detail about all the concepts, but overall a fabulous course!

By Deepanshu C

May 05, 2020

I personally had a lot of interest in particle physics due to which I registered for this course. This course starts to become quite boring as we move ahead. I feel this is because the professors are reading continuously. It feels like they are not teaching and explaining the things but only reading out the articles which they have. Of all the professors, Martin sir was good due to his varying tone but the other ma'am were continuously reading in a single tone due to which it seems boring. However, if one has the interest and passion for particle physics. This is a must do course for him

By Laura K

May 03, 2017

Course content is good, however, material is explained fairly quickly and the lady who is lecturing is almost impossible to understand (due to a very strong accent and a very mechanical reading), which made me want to skip all her lectures.

By Piero A P M

May 03, 2020

As my first experience with a MOOC, I must say it was phenomenal. This course provides a broad and careful introduction to the fields of Particle Physics and Nuclear Physics, thoroughly presenting both its theoretical and experimental aspects. While it naturally does not replace a more formal handling of the subjects, the videos, quizzes and suggested textbooks constitute a great way to familiarize an undergraduate student who wishes to specialize in these fields (although it would also be suitable to the curious layman). A sole negative consideration regards the language, whose occasional fast pace and difficult pronunciation may sometimes impair the learning process. In any case, I would like to thank Université de Genève and Coursera for the effort of crafting this great, highly recommendable online course.

By Orlando S F

Aug 15, 2017

I would like to express my gratitude for the excellent and delightful course on Particle Physics the University of Geneva made available to the public. It was a very informative and enjoyable course, very well designed and delivered. I also would like to congratulate Professor Pohl, Mercedes and Anna for their outstanding presentations. You enhanced my desire to continue studying Particle Physics.

Thank you again, and I wish someday I have the privilege of visiting the University as well as the LHC, and hopefully get to meet you personally. That would be a wonderful thing.

I wish you all the best.

By Devnath K

Sep 06, 2019

This course opened up the horizons of my mind about how the universe functions mathematically. Coming from a very conservative, orthodox Brahmin family ( a particular caste in Hinduism ) It's written in the scriptures that the universe is created from the Atma, the higher consciousness and then from the Atma came the five elements that support life. It's very difficult to understand or even believe it because science demands proofs and right now I have none. I know I have scratched the surface, just the surface but hopefully, someday we will know the origin of everything. Thank you!

By Md. R M

Jun 11, 2020

The course was so tough. There were so many equations and graphs and was too much hard for me to understand them. But overall it was a good experience knowing some key terms used in particle physics. Being able to understand the concept of cross-section, Feynman diagrams, knowing the names of subatomic particles, understanding some of their behaviors, their classifications, particle acceleration systems were much interesting. I think more mathematical explanation and explanation of the equations and terms used in those equations should be added.

By Pablo M G

Sep 03, 2020

Absolutely mind changing! I am very proud to have had completed this course, I learned a lot of things, I enjoyed my classes and work with new knowledge to be learned. I think this changed my view of the universe and it has given me new skills. The professors were very clear while explaining the topics, I thank all the people that were included in making this course posible. The course has no mathematical quizzes but if you want to understand the topics better I recommend to practice or reflect about the equations. Thank you!!!!!!!

By Simon C

Apr 14, 2017

The instructors are very knowledgeable and lectures contain a lot of valuable information. I'm enjoying the mixture of basics and detail, plus the field trips to LHC and a tokamac. There's a fair amount of work required, but I appreciate that. There's also plenty of activity in the discussion forums.

I notice that some students have complained about having to pay attention to the lectures. This course is possibly not a good choice for anyone who wants to be spoon fed.

By Shreya J

Apr 26, 2019

Thank you for the wonderful course. Particle Physics has always been my favorite branch of physics and this course helped me love it even more. As a first year undergraduate ,I will be taught modern physics only in my third year but I'm sure this will help in my future studies. Thank you once again for an amazing course. Also, I would like to thank Professor Martin and Professor Mercedes for being amazing mentors.

By Gustavo D d S

Aug 15, 2020

Excellent course that helped me understand several doubts that I had about energy its effects and of course dark energy.

Understood why the introduction was so thoroughly explained, so that in the end it could all make sense.

Thank you very much for this course and hope that you engage us with another one so full of surprises about the expansion, creation and evolution of the Universe known today.

By Le G J

Aug 16, 2019

Excellente introduction.

J'aurais aimé plus de références à la littérature (articles, livres ou autres MOOCs) afin de permettre l'approfondissement des sujets présentés, voire même simplement la meilleure compréhension de théories dont certaines équations sont utilisées dans le cours.

Le principe des interviews de spécialistes est excellent et pourrait être systématisé.

By Jose A V H

Oct 14, 2017

Practically everything I expected from an introductory course, plus more, I still have many papers mentioned in the modules to read, so I'll keep on going. It doesn't require advanced math skills, however, to fully understand some topics I recommend to have your calculus skills revisited if you're not in the field of theoretical/experimental physics.

By Marcela K

Sep 12, 2017

Thank you for this course, i am looking forward to future courses. I found it helpful that we were not drowned in difficult calculations. I also found it helpful that we were given hints of calculations. Just about the right mix for a hopeful beginner. Thanks again to all the team and good luck in your future discoveries

By Kevin D N

Mar 10, 2019

I thank you, for helping me and teaching me to recognize, define, correctly, solve concepts such as dark energy, dark matter, understand the principle of the universe and matter, as well as identify the different fundamental parts of matter and the forces and interactions between them.

By Dr. T V R

May 08, 2017

This course was one of the most difficult and information laden MOOC I have taken and I've taken many. The three professors do a great job of explaining difficult topic even if English is not their native language. I hope they make a next course (intermediate particle physics).

By Tom B

Aug 11, 2020

Answered many of my questions in great detail. The math was at the right level - difficult but within my reach. I am satisfied that I know much more than when I started the class. Thank you to all the presenters, it was a delight to learn so much in so little time.

By Srishti N

Mar 08, 2018

The course has a very good content covering almost entire particle physics syllabus. The teachers also teach well but at some places i couldn't understand the pronunciation. Rest all the assignments, graded quizzes are an excellent way to test yourself.

By Santiago G y G

Apr 26, 2020

I loved this course. It was interesting, fascinating, fun and sometimes puzzling. I really want to gather more information about particle physics, and my favorite topic was electroweak interactions and neutrinos. Thank you so much for this course.

By Tales A O G

Sep 07, 2020

This course has opened my mind to the study of particle physics. I have learned a lot about particle interactions and the constituency of our universe. And also It motivates me to study more about this area to search for answers to open problems

By Reymundo F F

Dec 08, 2019

the prfessors were so nice and the method for teach is very well. in general this course is great but in humble opinion i think you need to teach more show with examples how do those equations and no only show those equations on the blackboard.

By Muhammad N M

May 09, 2020

I really enjoyed every video along the way, and really thankful for all who contributed to create this magnificent course, which is obvious the amount of effort, time and dedication to make it wonderful like that.

By p v k

Apr 03, 2019

extremely difficult subject to explain and put across, but the professors have done remarkably well in making the course concise, effective and interesting.

Heartfelt thanks to the team at University of Geneva.

By Cristian S

Oct 14, 2019

Muy buen material, se ha de reforzar las presentaciones con material externo ya que algunas preguntas de los quizzes son bastante puntuales o especificas.

No estaría mal incluir mayor cantidad de ejercicios.

By Shibaji M

Oct 27, 2017

Excellent course for an advanced undergraduate level introduction to particle physics phenomenology. This course can be supplemented with a standard text to get a good understanding of particle physics.