Back to Particle Physics: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Particle Physics: an Introduction by University of Geneva

This course introduces you to subatomic physics, i.e. the physics of nuclei and particles. More specifically, the following questions are addressed: - What are the concepts of particle physics and how are they implemented? - What are the properties of atomic nuclei and how can one use them? - How does one accelerate and detect particles and measure their properties? - What does one learn from particle reactions at high energies and particle decays? - How do electromagnetic interactions work and how can one use them? - How do strong interactions work and why are they difficult to understand? - How do weak interactions work and why are they so special? - What is the mass of objects at the subatomic level and how does the Higgs boson intervene? - How does one search for new phenomena beyond the known ones? - What can one learn from particle physics concerning astrophysics and the Universe as a whole? The course is structured in eight modules. Following the first one which introduces our subject, the modules 2 (nuclear physics) and 3 (accelerators and detectors) are rather self contained and can be studied separately. The modules 4 to 6 go into more depth about matter and forces as described by the standard model of particle physics. Module 7 deals with our ways to search for new phenomena. And the last module introduces you to two mysterious components of the Universe, namely Dark Matter and Dark Energy....

MH

Aug 05, 2017

Challenging at first for someone with a non-traditional academic background, but thoroughly enjoyable and worth completing, if nothing but for the personal satisfaction of getting through it!

EP

Apr 23, 2017

Very interesting course. Quite difficult to pass week 6 due to a question on w boson quark transformation. Couldnt find answers in sylabus. Maybe just me. Overall excellant course.

51 - 75 of 169 Reviews for Particle Physics: an Introduction

By 李宁

Oct 22, 2017

这是一个非常好的课程,使我对于粒子物理有了更加深刻的认识,Thank you, greeting from China, I very want to visit CERN, but I do not have enough money and time, I can not reach but I wish,虽不能至,心向往之

By Daniel N G

May 26, 2019

I loved it. High level and very well explained.

Nevertheless, two weeks are hihgly charged compared with others, I think spreading some of the content would be great.

By Vishesh V

Being my first course on the domain of prime interest to me, I enjoyed each module as they were both diverse and still play a unique part of the subject as a whole.

By James H

May 08, 2020

Extremely interesting course, but you will need to be ready to persevere with the mathematics if you do not at least have an A level understanding of physics/maths

By Mohamed S A

Jul 14, 2020

This course, in general, it might be considered as a very useful preliminary step to know the basic notions of both theoretical and experimental particle physics.

By Carlos I S

Jan 21, 2020

Is an absolute great course if you love physics and want to know more about relativity, some quantum basic and advanced stuff, also the teachers are very nice.

By SAI P

The course provided me a great oppurtunity to learn many aspects about Physics laws. Thanks for the instructors for providing me this valuable oppurtunity.

By E.V.Phaninder

Aug 13, 2017

excellent course i foresee further courses regarding this subject in coursera and i really like doing successive courses from university of the Geneva

By Narasimha S A

Jul 14, 2020

My conceptual understanding has improved a lot after taking this wonderful introductory course. I recommend my students to take this course.

By Shankaranarayanan G

Sep 05, 2017

Gave a good outline of particle physics. I am still fuzzy about many aspects and would like to redo the course. How do I restart a course?

By Kumaresh A

It's really upgrade my knowledge on Particle Physics.

The way of teaching was excellent. My hearty thanks to both the professor's.

By Sarojchoudhary

Jun 14, 2020

a very good platform for making a good intrest in this field and also gainig good knowledge.

thank you so much to all team.

By Anton L

Apr 07, 2020

Very good but fairly though course. Martin Pohl is an excellent lecturer and the lecture material is very well written.

By Satish J

Jan 11, 2018

Coursera courses are a godsend for people like me who would like to satisfy their curiosity about the things around us.

By Yanychek D

Mar 29, 2020

This cource helped me to achieve my goal about learning particle physics and understand thing I had problem with.

By David Z

Feb 02, 2020

Need to repeat this a few times (while commuting, no exam pressure), basic understanding after passing the tests.

By Prasoon V

Sep 01, 2019

Opened new doors of curiosity for me by involving me into long hours of engrossing and theories and researches.

By Siripong C

Jan 25, 2020

This course is literally amazing. It can inspire high school students to be passionate about particle physics.

By Francois Z

Feb 02, 2018

This has been the most well thought out introduction to particle physics I have come across. Really enjoyable.

By SANIA T S

Jul 17, 2020

attending this course was such a good experience and did not fail to give a clear idea about particle physics

By Pradeep M D

Jun 05, 2020

Very Happy..Best experience ever with all course instructors. Thank you Coursera and University of Geneva..!!

By Sahil U

Apr 08, 2017

The course was really amazing. Enjoyed & learnt a lot & was privileged to learn from such reputed teachers.

By Carlos A G T

May 24, 2017

That is the best course that I've done it in coursera, the teachers explain everything so fine and clear

By Shivam

Sep 30, 2019

Financial Aid help me a lot to get the deep knowledge Thank you coursera Thank you university of geneva

By Xuejing J

May 19, 2017

A well made course. But the learning curve is steep. It is hard to have some deep understanding.