Back to Particle Physics: an Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Particle Physics: an Introduction by University of Geneva

4.4

This course introduces you to subatomic physics, i.e. the physics of nuclei and particles. More specifically, the following questions are addressed: - What are the concepts of particle physics and how are they implemented? - What are the properties of atomic nuclei and how can one use them? - How does one accelerate and detect particles and measure their properties? - What does one learn from particle reactions at high energies and particle decays? - How do electromagnetic interactions work and how can one use them? - How do strong interactions work and why are they difficult to understand? - How do weak interactions work and why are they so special? - What is the mass of objects at the subatomic level and how does the Higgs boson intervene? - How does one search for new phenomena beyond the known ones? - What can one learn from particle physics concerning astrophysics and the Universe as a whole? The course is structured in eight modules. Following the first one which introduces our subject, the modules 2 (nuclear physics) and 3 (accelerators and detectors) are rather self contained and can be studied separately. The modules 4 to 6 go into more depth about matter and forces as described by the standard model of particle physics. Module 7 deals with our ways to search for new phenomena. And the last module introduces you to two mysterious components of the Universe, namely Dark Matter and Dark Energy....

VL
Mar 26, 2021

Way hard if you are not a science major! But the challenge is interesting. A quick advice : Refer to the slides if you find the accents too hard to understand.\n\nThank you for the great course!

MH
Aug 4, 2017

Challenging at first for someone with a non-traditional academic background, but thoroughly enjoyable and worth completing, if nothing but for the personal satisfaction of getting through it!

51 - 75 of 217 Reviews for Particle Physics: an Introduction

By Tales A O G

Sep 7, 2020

This course has opened my mind to the study of particle physics. I have learned a lot about particle interactions and the constituency of our universe. And also It motivates me to study more about this area to search for answers to open problems

By Reymundo F F

Dec 8, 2019

the prfessors were so nice and the method for teach is very well. in general this course is great but in humble opinion i think you need to teach more show with examples how do those equations and no only show those equations on the blackboard.

By Muhammad N M

May 9, 2020

I really enjoyed every video along the way, and really thankful for all who contributed to create this magnificent course, which is obvious the amount of effort, time and dedication to make it wonderful like that.

By p v k

Apr 3, 2019

extremely difficult subject to explain and put across, but the professors have done remarkably well in making the course concise, effective and interesting.

Heartfelt thanks to the team at University of Geneva.

By Cristian S

Oct 14, 2019

Muy buen material, se ha de reforzar las presentaciones con material externo ya que algunas preguntas de los quizzes son bastante puntuales o especificas.

No estaría mal incluir mayor cantidad de ejercicios.

By Shibaji M

Oct 27, 2017

Excellent course for an advanced undergraduate level introduction to particle physics phenomenology. This course can be supplemented with a standard text to get a good understanding of particle physics.

By João M C d A

Aug 29, 2020

Great course overall. The professors give very precious insight into the world of particle physics. The level of mathematics involved is quite high, but also managable with some effort.

By Michael C

Apr 12, 2020

It is an extremely informative and enjoyable way to pass my time during the quarantine. I highly recommend it, even to those, who had a similar course in the university like me.

By Rachid M

Jun 24, 2020

Great course to understand how subatomic particles works. There is a bit of maths, but you do not need to understand every equation to grasp the key message. Thanks a lot !

By radha k m v

I have learned a lot of knowledge about elementary particles. Thank you very much to team of professors, university of Geneva and Coursera.

VELURI NV RADHA KRISHNA MURTY

By Alex G

May 30, 2019

This was a very fun and interesting course. This course can be very confusing at times but the instructors do explain things very well and in an easy to understand way.

By 李宁

Oct 22, 2017

这是一个非常好的课程,使我对于粒子物理有了更加深刻的认识,Thank you, greeting from China, I very want to visit CERN, but I do not have enough money and time, I can not reach but I wish,虽不能至,心向往之

By Daniel N G

May 26, 2019

I loved it. High level and very well explained.

Nevertheless, two weeks are hihgly charged compared with others, I think spreading some of the content would be great.

By Vishesh V

Being my first course on the domain of prime interest to me, I enjoyed each module as they were both diverse and still play a unique part of the subject as a whole.

By James H

May 8, 2020

Extremely interesting course, but you will need to be ready to persevere with the mathematics if you do not at least have an A level understanding of physics/maths

By Mohamed S A

Jul 14, 2020

This course, in general, it might be considered as a very useful preliminary step to know the basic notions of both theoretical and experimental particle physics.

By Carlos I S

Jan 21, 2020

Is an absolute great course if you love physics and want to know more about relativity, some quantum basic and advanced stuff, also the teachers are very nice.

By SAI P

The course provided me a great oppurtunity to learn many aspects about Physics laws. Thanks for the instructors for providing me this valuable oppurtunity.

By Andres G P T

Mar 28, 2021

It was a great course I have learned many things about particles physics, I hope to used these concept in my field, thank you so much dear professors !

By E.V.Phaninder

Aug 13, 2017

excellent course i foresee further courses regarding this subject in coursera and i really like doing successive courses from university of the Geneva

By narasimha s a

Jul 14, 2020

My conceptual understanding has improved a lot after taking this wonderful introductory course. I recommend my students to take this course.

By Shankaranarayanan G

Sep 5, 2017

Gave a good outline of particle physics. I am still fuzzy about many aspects and would like to redo the course. How do I restart a course?

By Kumaresh A

It's really upgrade my knowledge on Particle Physics.

The way of teaching was excellent. My hearty thanks to both the professor's.

By Sarojchoudhary

Jun 14, 2020

a very good platform for making a good intrest in this field and also gainig good knowledge.

thank you so much to all team.

By Girinath

Aug 27, 2020

Amazing Course even for an Undergraduate only you would have to use a textbook and know quantum mechanics and reativity .