Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

Course Description What is our role in the universe as human agents capable of knowledge? What makes us intelligent cognitive agents seemingly endowed with consciousness? This is the second part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences. Scientific research across the cognitive sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the cognitive sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. Areas you’ll learn about will include: Philosophy of psychology, among whose issues we will cover the evolution of the human mind and the nature of consciousness. Philosophy of neurosciences, where we’ll consider the nature of human cognition and the relation between mind, machines, and the environment. Learning objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the cognitive sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Readings To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

CG

Feb 11, 2020

this course was very broad and incredibly interesting. I highly recommend it as introduction to the philosophy of science, but I have to warn you: Once you have started, your journey won't stop here!

AS

Jun 25, 2020

this is the great course for the people who are pursuing their carer in philosophy, philosophy of mind to be more precise and also for the people who are thinking of doing psychology later anytime.

26 - 50 of 215 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

By Muhip T

Very fun, non-exhausting introduction to the very interesting subject of cognitive sciences. Video lectures are of high quality. It is relatively short and quizzes were extremely easy but this was exactly what I wanted so I'm not complaining.

By Thomas J H

Jun 27, 2018

Highly recommended. Clear on what is science, what is philosophy, and what the convergent areas of inquiry are. High on sense, short on bombast, and deeply intellectually responsible. (The anti-Daniel Dennett approach). Much appreciated.

By David M

Dec 12, 2018

I enjoyed the format, it made it very easy to learn and you can read as much as you like with the recommended reading list. Very thought provoking and well prsented. I would recommend it for anyone with an interest in philosophy.

By Małgorzata S

Aug 06, 2017

An extremely informative course with a lot of optional readings for further study if one wishes to. Very accessible in terms of explanation. I can highly recommend to anyone interested in any aspect of cognition and perception.

By Renee K

Jun 17, 2020

I've enjoyed this course although I wish it was much more longer...The amount of information about cognitive science, evolutionary Psychology, Consciousness, and several other topics that are full of knowledgable information.

By Pablo G A

Jun 21, 2017

I think this course is a great introduction to the philosophy of cognitive sciences. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in philosophy. Also, I took advantage of the course for practising English language. Thanks!

By alec g

Mar 03, 2020

This course provided a very complex topic in an easy to understand format while also offering resources to research topics of interest in depth. I recommend this course for anyone with even a mild interest in the topic.

By Glenda F

Jul 21, 2017

Muy interesante e ilustrativo. Te permite intriducirte en aspectos complejos de las ciencias cognitivas sin demandar una especialización en este campo. El sistema de evaluaiones por questionarios es efectivo.

By Kevin S

Aug 30, 2020

Highly interesting course. As a cognitive psychologist I've been in touch with these concepts before, but this course brings an interdisciplinary levels that I had not experienced and it was very refreshing.

By Chagari A P R

Jan 30, 2020

Mind blowing. Great amalgam of Philosophy and Cosmology and Biology. The great picture for unifying understanding. Excellent package and presentation by Edinburgh University. Proud to have been exposed.

By Avika s

Jun 25, 2020

By Manuel O A

Oct 18, 2017

The professors in this course reveal very clear and fast the recent advances in evolutionary psychology and the consequences in the approach to related sciences, and the way we perceive the world.

By Carlos M

Aug 07, 2018

I have enjoyed the course, specially the detailed way of explained all the topics by the instructors. Also, I went through some of the bibliography sources provided which is a lot. Thank You all

By Luis E B H

Jun 10, 2020

so far one of the most interesting courses I've ever taken. A valuable contribution for students who want to understand a little more about the brain and the world around them.

By Simone P

Mar 30, 2020

An interesting and complete course, which opened a gash on a frontier of epistemological research that had always fascinated me and that now I am even more stimulated to deepen

By ida a

Jul 30, 2020

this course was exactly what I was looking for to learn the basic concepts regarding cognitive science and philosophical views on it. I glad that I found it and enrolled in it

By Aaradhya S

Jul 12, 2020

brilliant and informative course on psychology and cognition . I highly recommend this to those who like to ask questions and are courageous enough to find their answers .

By Narayanan M V

Feb 06, 2019

Fantastic teachers, very informative and useful. Highly recommended to those who are interested in pursuing cognitive sciences and learning about consciousness

By Naz Y

Sep 01, 2017

A perfect introduction course ! Lecturers, subjects, and slides are intriguing; the sources and further readings at the end of each week are amazing and rich.

By Biani P S L

Aug 03, 2017

It is a simple and clear introduction to the current topics of philosophy of the cognitive sciences. Videos and additional readings are very interesting!

By Eric R P

Jun 13, 2018

Los temas son fundamentales para iniciarse en el estudio de la cognición, a parte de los videos, las lecturas complementarias me parecieron excelentes.

By Karanveer S

Jun 03, 2017

An amazing course where you get introduced to concepts like cognitive science, philosophy of mind, consciousness, etc. Simple and crisp content matter.

By Himanshu D

Aug 17, 2020

A very helpful course that is easy to understand. Lecture Slides could have been better, especially the week 2 ones, but they were sufficient anyways.

By Ilias P

Aug 14, 2017

A course for anyone interested in gaining a theoretical background about cognition,the brain and their links to artificial intelligence and robotics!

By Christos G

Jun 07, 2020

Extremely interesting approach of cognition. I have been astonished! The structure of the course should be used an example for all online courses...