Back to Introduction to Philosophy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh

This course will introduce you to some of the main areas of research in contemporary philosophy. Each module a different philosopher will talk you through some of the most important questions and issues in their area of expertise. We’ll begin by trying to understand what philosophy is – what are its characteristic aims and methods, and how does it differ from other subjects? Then we’ll spend the rest of the course gaining an introductory overview of several different areas of philosophy. Topics you’ll learn about will include: Epistemology, where we’ll consider what our knowledge of the world and ourselves consists in, and how we come to have it; Philosophy of science, where we’ll investigate foundational conceptual issues in scientific research and practice; Philosophy of Mind, where we’ll ask questions about what it means for something to have a mind, and how minds should be understood and explained; Political Philosophy, where we'll investigate whether we have an obligation to obey the law; Moral Philosophy, where we’ll attempt to understand the nature of our moral judgements and reactions – whether they aim at some objective moral truth, or are mere personal or cultural preferences, and; Metaphysics, where we’ll think through some fundamental conceptual questions about free will and the nature of reality. The development of this MOOC has been led by the University of Edinburgh's Eidyn research centre. To accompany 'Introduction to Philosophy', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Introduction to Philosophy' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please click "Start Here" and navigate to the "Optional Reading" page for more information....

LT

Sep 02, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and find that it encouragingly sets some directions, and of course, raises my excitement for further study into some of the different fields of philosophy. Thank you.

CC

Oct 08, 2015

Great explanations that is broken down with examples for understanding. Quizzes test for your understanding of the topic rather than just the textbook explanations. Challenging and thought revoking.

851 - 873 of 873 Reviews for Introduction to Philosophy

By Ilan M

Jul 07, 2017

The course gives you a basic introduction to various topics in Philosophy, but lacked depth.

By Nils A

Jun 03, 2018

The Audio recording quality of certain videos literally gave me headaches, had to skip them

By Federico

Feb 12, 2016

The course was interesting but overall very wide and didn't make a clear point.

By Milly C

Mar 07, 2016

An interesting overview, but I wish it had been a bit more rigorous.

By Estefanía A

Jun 09, 2017

no se enfoca tanto en que es la filosofía, se va de las ramas

By brian d f

Dec 20, 2019

Very basic with muddled explanations and weak examples.

By Romario A

Nov 11, 2015

Good to follow by the subs

By Luyu Z

Nov 02, 2017

so far is good

By Kenneth M

Dec 08, 2015

Almost totally ignores the ancients. A skewed view of philosophy from an enlightenment perspective.

By Gareth

Aug 30, 2015

It seems I have failed at week three without having to ask for the answers for three questions.

By William H M P

Aug 20, 2015

Sorry, but of no real use except to people totally

By Bruce M

Jan 06, 2016

Sorry but he puts me to sleep. No emotion.

By Lisa S

Jun 19, 2016

Propaganda

By Gabriel B

Jan 28, 2019

Content doesn't include any of the interesting aspects about philosophy and starts off in a droll. If this were my first introduction and I didn't know philosophy otherwise, instant interest kill.

By Dimitar B

Aug 18, 2015

The pronunciation of the lectors is more than awful! Their English is quite unsuitable for video lectures! So I quit the course. It is just a torture listening to them!

By Elaine G

Oct 03, 2015

You do not know what you are getting into until you take the first class. What happen to the delete button on the class.l

Jan 19, 2020

The morality chapter is incredibly complicated and the lecturer makes it confusing. Wasted my money.

By Héctor O

Jan 08, 2016

During lessons you don`t receive enough information to be able to pass the exams

By Rich I

Apr 17, 2018

Boring. I want to drop this course.

Thank you.