Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

276 - 300 of 959 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Sheng A H

Jun 01, 2020

Amazing content and truly a source of inspiration! Very nice to see a lot of examples, very insightful readings and the ideas explained directly from the artists.

By Alejandro E R N

Dec 12, 2016

I really liked it. I knew the world of photography is extense, but i never took the moment to completely learn about it. This course is complete and interesting.

By Edwin M

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent content that presents the work of many photographers and styles. I particularly enjoyed the sections in which photographers discussed their own work.

By Sally M

It was engaging and I learned a lot about how to think about photographs and questions to about them. May contribute to how I make my photographs going forward.

By Pierre O

Jun 26, 2017

I really enjoyed and learn't a lot from this amazing course. It shall absolutely assist me knowledge and creative wise with my further ventures into this field.

By Frederico A S J

Apr 30, 2020

I`ve studed shot for years in Brasil , but after the course , I could see more critically some work that I use to admire, but from now on I began to understand

By rafael g

Jun 26, 2020

It has been an excellent course, in terms of content, exercises, discussions. 100% recommended for anyone who likes to look, but above all think photography.

By Isabel G

Mar 24, 2016

Por lo que llevo completado hasta el momento me parece que puede ser un curso muy interesante dada la manera reflexiva en que vamos a estudiar la fotografía.

By Gerardo M G N

Jul 30, 2020

t is an excellent course, instructor Sarah Meister guides you through the entire course in a simple, focused and well-documented way. I highly recommend it.

By catherine c w

I haven't enjoyed a course this much since college! (25+ years!)

Thank you for this wonderful survey of photography as art. It has renewed my interest in it.

By Taciana S

Dec 20, 2017

I got new knowledge about the art of photography, which will allow me to more consciously and critically treat what I see in the photo. Thank you very much!

By Jeff P

Aug 22, 2017

Truly authoritative materials and the opportunity to customize your learning make this a good introduction on how to look at photography as an art movement.

By Yosselyn A S R

Jun 26, 2016

All the information is really useful to form a criteria about photography, and also it helps to understand which is the role of photography and our society.

By Kit H

Jun 26, 2017

I really learned a lot from the course, it widen my narrow mindset in photography. I am glad I joined this course. Right choice made at the right moment ;>

By Laura D G

Nov 14, 2016

Very interesting course of different aspects to take into account when we look at a photography. Perfect for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By TERESA Z

Dec 11, 2017

A very good course, with rich materials, great interviews with a huge number of artists explaining thier work and their idea of photography. Recommended!

By Paul H

Apr 02, 2020

I found this to be an enjoyable comprehensive exploration of the history of photography viewed from a contemporary perspective. Diverse and eye-opening.

By RAMSES E C M

Nov 08, 2017

Excelente para tener una noción de la Historia de la Fotografía Estadounidense, a partir del archivo documental del Museo de Arte Moderno de Nueva York.

By Yi J F

Feb 24, 2020

An amazing opportunity to tap into the resources of MoMA with a structured and easy to follow lesson plan, artist interviews, and curated reading lists

By magdalena

Mar 20, 2016

Me encanta la persona que da el curso, explica muy bien y tiene una manera de hacer que pongas mucha atención, y al mismo tiempo explica sencillamente.

By Caroline W

Mar 04, 2016

This is a very fabolous and intelligent course about photography among the years.

The Plus is the inside view of the artists! Thx a lot MOMA- i am Fan!

By Paul G

May 03, 2018

Thanks to this course I now have a greater focus to appreciate a photograph, I think this is very important to determine the visual quality of a photo

By Céline H

May 22, 2016

Fascinating course! I'm discovering and learning so much! I also could spend hours looking at the selected pictures of the course... Thank you! Céline

By Nicholas K

Feb 23, 2016

You will never see any photo the same ever again. Fantastic course. Supplemental readings are wonderful. So grateful to the folks at MoMA for this.

By Joselito S K

Jul 08, 2020

The course was very informative and educational. It help me analyse and interpret photographs and find meaning to it. Thank you MoMA and Ms. Sarah.