Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

276 - 300 of 938 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Isabel G

Mar 24, 2016

Por lo que llevo completado hasta el momento me parece que puede ser un curso muy interesante dada la manera reflexiva en que vamos a estudiar la fotografía.

By Gerardo M G N

Jul 30, 2020

t is an excellent course, instructor Sarah Meister guides you through the entire course in a simple, focused and well-documented way. I highly recommend it.

By catherine c w

I haven't enjoyed a course this much since college! (25+ years!)

Thank you for this wonderful survey of photography as art. It has renewed my interest in it.

By Taciana S

Dec 20, 2017

I got new knowledge about the art of photography, which will allow me to more consciously and critically treat what I see in the photo. Thank you very much!

By Jeff P

Aug 22, 2017

Truly authoritative materials and the opportunity to customize your learning make this a good introduction on how to look at photography as an art movement.

By Yosselyn A S R

Jun 26, 2016

All the information is really useful to form a criteria about photography, and also it helps to understand which is the role of photography and our society.

By Kit H

Jun 26, 2017

I really learned a lot from the course, it widen my narrow mindset in photography. I am glad I joined this course. Right choice made at the right moment ;>

By Laura D G

Nov 14, 2016

Very interesting course of different aspects to take into account when we look at a photography. Perfect for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By TERESA Z

Dec 11, 2017

A very good course, with rich materials, great interviews with a huge number of artists explaining thier work and their idea of photography. Recommended!

By Paul H

Apr 02, 2020

I found this to be an enjoyable comprehensive exploration of the history of photography viewed from a contemporary perspective. Diverse and eye-opening.

By RAMSES E C M

Nov 08, 2017

Excelente para tener una noción de la Historia de la Fotografía Estadounidense, a partir del archivo documental del Museo de Arte Moderno de Nueva York.

By Yi J F

Feb 24, 2020

An amazing opportunity to tap into the resources of MoMA with a structured and easy to follow lesson plan, artist interviews, and curated reading lists

By magdalena

Mar 20, 2016

Me encanta la persona que da el curso, explica muy bien y tiene una manera de hacer que pongas mucha atención, y al mismo tiempo explica sencillamente.

By Caroline W

Mar 04, 2016

This is a very fabolous and intelligent course about photography among the years.

The Plus is the inside view of the artists! Thx a lot MOMA- i am Fan!

By Paul G

May 03, 2018

Thanks to this course I now have a greater focus to appreciate a photograph, I think this is very important to determine the visual quality of a photo

By Céline H

May 22, 2016

Fascinating course! I'm discovering and learning so much! I also could spend hours looking at the selected pictures of the course... Thank you! Céline

By Nicholas K

Feb 23, 2016

You will never see any photo the same ever again. Fantastic course. Supplemental readings are wonderful. So grateful to the folks at MoMA for this.

By Joselito S K

Jul 08, 2020

The course was very informative and educational. It help me analyse and interpret photographs and find meaning to it. Thank you MoMA and Ms. Sarah.

By Berfin K

Jun 05, 2020

Even though, I have been taking photos for a long time, this course increased my literacy and help me understand photography from a different angle.

By Sara-Jane C

May 07, 2020

This is a fascinating course, providing excellent course material, allowing you to explore further the world of vernacular and fine art photography.

By Luisa G

Jan 08, 2020

It helps me to understand the importance of knowing the photography background, so now I can see new perspectives when I am going to take a picture.

By Josip H G O

Dec 04, 2017

Great introductory course. It covers most of the aspects of photography and gives suggestions to those who want to learn more. Thank you very much!

By Sushovon M

Sep 20, 2020

It's really a knowledgeable course for photography. It's necessary to know about photographic knowledge when you are an photographer or an artist.

By María C C C

Jul 08, 2020

very indepth! really enjoyed the way the course' expositions of different photographer along with several recorded interviews or analytical texts.

By Rodrigo N d N

Aug 09, 2017

This course is very good it has improved my way of analyzing and understanding about the concept that every photographer had when doing his work