Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

276 - 300 of 1,006 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Larissa A

Jan 12, 2021

Curso excelente! Com muitos exemplos, dados e informações para pensar sobre fotografia. Ao longo do curso pude construir uma visão mais critica sobre o ato fotográfico.

By Noemí P

Nov 11, 2018

Interesting approach of looking photographs through different issues. I also learnt ways to look at pictures.Strongly recommend for those people who love photography.

By patricia y

Dec 22, 2017

Very interesting course. It is a introduction course to interpretation and history of photography. Interesting topics are developed along the weeks with amazing videos.

By Virginia K

Aug 25, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. I was so involved that I did the 6 weeks of study in just one week But intend to go back through the readings and resources to learn more..

By Purice A

Mar 21, 2016

A great insight into Photography. A mix of history and artistic education, mostly orientated towards art. I've discovered some new doors into the world of photography.

By Emanuele C

Apr 26, 2017

This course keeps what the title promises, look through the photographs, is a truly innovative course, once completed the photos will be seen with new eyes. Great!!!!

By Alejandro E F B

Mar 5, 2016

Thorough and interesting contents. Amenable. Quite hard to pass as I have not enough time for it, which I regret. Trying to catch up.

Congratulations to Sarah Meister.

By Moira S

Apr 8, 2020

Excellent insightful and interesting course. It has enhanced my understanding and provided me with a greater depth of understanding to my own photography. Thank you.

By Camilla B

Feb 16, 2020

A wonderful journey through the evolution of photography, thoroughly organized and full of interesting and original inputs. I would love Moma to set up a second one!

By Mariano B A

Dec 30, 2019

I found the course very interesting and educational, it gave me the opportunity to explore more about photography and to know also some autors I did'nt know before.

By Christos G

Oct 10, 2017

Excellent introduction to the world of photography as an art. Valuable hints and advice that might help everyone to better receive and perceive visual information.

By Nima B

Jun 8, 2020

thanks MOMA for your well sequenced course " Seeing through Photography".

I could clean and match my knowledge puzzle about looking at photography in critical way.

By Sheng A H

Jun 1, 2020

Amazing content and truly a source of inspiration! Very nice to see a lot of examples, very insightful readings and the ideas explained directly from the artists.

By Alejandro E R N

Dec 11, 2016

I really liked it. I knew the world of photography is extense, but i never took the moment to completely learn about it. This course is complete and interesting.

By Edwin M

Jan 14, 2021

Excellent content that presents the work of many photographers and styles. I particularly enjoyed the sections in which photographers discussed their own work.

By Sally M

It was engaging and I learned a lot about how to think about photographs and questions to about them. May contribute to how I make my photographs going forward.

By Pierre O

Jun 26, 2017

I really enjoyed and learn't a lot from this amazing course. It shall absolutely assist me knowledge and creative wise with my further ventures into this field.

By Frederico A S J

Apr 30, 2020

I`ve studed shot for years in Brasil , but after the course , I could see more critically some work that I use to admire, but from now on I began to understand

By rafael g

Jun 26, 2020

It has been an excellent course, in terms of content, exercises, discussions. 100% recommended for anyone who likes to look, but above all think photography.

By Isabel G

Mar 24, 2016

Por lo que llevo completado hasta el momento me parece que puede ser un curso muy interesante dada la manera reflexiva en que vamos a estudiar la fotografía.

By Gerardo M G N

Jul 30, 2020

t is an excellent course, instructor Sarah Meister guides you through the entire course in a simple, focused and well-documented way. I highly recommend it.

By catherine c w

I haven't enjoyed a course this much since college! (25+ years!)

Thank you for this wonderful survey of photography as art. It has renewed my interest in it.

By Taciana S

Dec 20, 2017

I got new knowledge about the art of photography, which will allow me to more consciously and critically treat what I see in the photo. Thank you very much!

By Jeff P

Aug 21, 2017

Truly authoritative materials and the opportunity to customize your learning make this a good introduction on how to look at photography as an art movement.

By Yosselyn A S R

Jun 26, 2016

All the information is really useful to form a criteria about photography, and also it helps to understand which is the role of photography and our society.