Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

376 - 400 of 941 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By 林國瑛

Jun 25, 2017

Great lessons, I have learnt a lot from it! Please keep going and bring us more good classes like these, best.

By Erika T

Jul 31, 2016

It's a very good course. I love photography and learn about this incredible artists was an amazing experience.

By Inga B

This course was more enlightening, interesting and difficult than I had expected. But I loved the challenge.

By Willy M

Highly educational and inspiring. I would certainly recommend it to my friends who are learning photography.

By Pouya M

May 28, 2017

A really good course that helped me better my vision in photography and grow as both an artist and a person.

By Barbara P

Mar 29, 2016

This course led me through different aspects of photography and provided me with new eyes to look at images.

By Ivahn a

Oct 17, 2016

The readings are truly intresting and very avant garde. great materials analyzed in a very interesting way!

By Janneth M

Jul 28, 2020

It´s an excellent course I have learnt a lot and enjoyed as well with the knowledge acquire, thanks a lot.

By Anita s

Jun 17, 2020

So far amazing at making you think critically about what goes on around you. Everyone should have to take.

By Ciro B

Interesting course who open my mind to understand more the diversity of photographs approct to the reality

By Pierluigi M

Well structured course full of useful material. A valid tool for personal and professional growth. Thanks!

By Ben L

Jan 06, 2018

This course offers not only well curated course materials, but wonderfully produced videos and interviews.

By Francesco P

Nov 14, 2017

I have gained in analytical skills and have enriched myself with new perspectives, what more can one want?

By Annalisa G

Jul 10, 2017

Really interesting and filled with hints to go deeper into Photography even after the course is concluded.

By Abner G

Feb 23, 2016

Good way to learn about photography .. art .. and more everything is good explain and i really enjoy it!!!

By Pam B

Dec 09, 2019

So enjoyable, so interesting. When I see photographs I now think differently and more deeply about them.

By Fernanda

May 29, 2017

Amazing course. I've learned so much about the history of photography and how to improve my look for her.

By Alma D

Feb 16, 2016

I love this course, so far it's difficult and we need to read a lot but I am enjoying it to the fullest!!

By Azucena E T V

Jul 02, 2017

Excelente y provechoso, he podido reafirmar y ampliar mis conocimientos acerca de la imagen fotográfica.

By Eleonora R

It was very interesting to hear different artists explain their art and make "their secrets" available.

By Miguel A G

Apr 15, 2020

An excellent tool to discover different ways to understand the role of photography. Congratulations !!!

By Pommm

Nov 30, 2017

the video is so nice.

it's fun amd not too hard, mixed with lot of classic works and contemporary works.

By Viktoria B

Oct 03, 2017

Very interesting course with interviews and an extensive reading list. Learned a lot about photographs.

By Rhea S

Jan 12, 2017

An eye-opening course for anyone who is interested about the development of photography over the years!

By Richard L

Jun 10, 2020

Great material. Great instructor. Great format. I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Thanks.