Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

376 - 400 of 906 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Pam B

Dec 09, 2019

So enjoyable, so interesting. When I see photographs I now think differently and more deeply about them.

By Fernanda

May 29, 2017

Amazing course. I've learned so much about the history of photography and how to improve my look for her.

By Alma D

Feb 16, 2016

I love this course, so far it's difficult and we need to read a lot but I am enjoying it to the fullest!!

By Azucena E T V

Jul 02, 2017

Excelente y provechoso, he podido reafirmar y ampliar mis conocimientos acerca de la imagen fotográfica.

By Eleonora R

It was very interesting to hear different artists explain their art and make "their secrets" available.

By Miguel A G

Apr 15, 2020

An excellent tool to discover different ways to understand the role of photography. Congratulations !!!

By Pommm

Nov 30, 2017

the video is so nice.

it's fun amd not too hard, mixed with lot of classic works and contemporary works.

By Viktoria B

Oct 03, 2017

Very interesting course with interviews and an extensive reading list. Learned a lot about photographs.

By Rhea S

Jan 12, 2017

An eye-opening course for anyone who is interested about the development of photography over the years!

By Richard L

Jun 10, 2020

Great material. Great instructor. Great format. I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Thanks.

By Luana F

Apr 10, 2016

It was simply awesome ! It gave me a completely new and highly quilified point of view on photography!

By Orlando W

Apr 04, 2016

I don't really learned something new on my own and this course for the first time, i did and liked it.

By Sarah R

Jun 04, 2020

The course is well organized and offer interesting insight to move your first steps into photography.

By Wendy M

Jun 04, 2020

Fantastic course! I learned so much and it gave me an enlightened perspective on viewing photography.

By Babak D

Excellent. Really enjoyed completing and learning. Than you for creating it and making it accessible.

By Francesca D

Feb 04, 2018

Incredibly useful! I loved every module and I have learned to watch at photography in different ways.

By Carlos R

Jun 26, 2017

Have you ever been in MoMA or you'll visit it soon? You should learn about Seeing Through Photographs

By Ana M M

Terrific! I highly recomend it to people who want to learn more about photography and art in general

By Julia P L

This course is very helpful with understanding photography. Excellent examples and reading material.

By Carlos-Fernando H

Excellent course. Opening eyes to the history of photography and how to further understand this art.

By Jesus Z

Mar 05, 2018

Very good course, complete and interesting, very easy to carry and the application is very friendly.

By Andrei I

May 30, 2017

Excellent course, unusual and creative view on the photography and on our world! It makes it better!

By Kerr M

Jun 07, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyable! A concise, and coherent course that progressed my understanding of the medium

By Ryan P

Jun 01, 2020

Just amazing. I have a lot of problem with reading and I'm french but there is no excuse to learn!!

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.