Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE
Jun 2, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

376 - 400 of 982 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Gabriel M

Mar 27, 2016

This was a great course with very good and interesting sources of material which I have really enjoyed and learned.

By Ariel S

Mar 12, 2016

I really like how detailed everything is. The reading is a little tough but they're all rather informative. Thanks!

By Guido D

A great view on a topic that is not always adress in the importance that must have. Don't doubt to do this course!

By Katherine E

Jul 14, 2016

Just phenomenal. It's beyond words. A real experiental learning opportunity that riches across history and time.

By Aniket S C

Jun 29, 2020

The course is exceptionally well laid out and has helped me to not just look at photographs but see through them!

By Peter L

Jun 14, 2020

Very helpful as an introduction to the world of photography and how we could use it to view the world we live in.

By PARDUZZI A

Nov 22, 2017

I love this course is very emotional, emphathy and open my mind into fantastic world of photography

Thanks so much

By JANETT J J R

Oct 21, 2017

La metodología es la mejor, fácil de aprender e interpretar los textos. Me ayudo mucho a entender las fotografías

By Víctor M M

Mar 7, 2017

Glad to have participated in this course. Classy and fun, a very accesible journey through this art. Recommended!

By Cristina L

Jun 7, 2016

The best course I ever made. I never met people who talked about photography like you, people. Thank you so much.

By Monica P

Feb 9, 2017

This course is perfect. I learned a lot and I value all the information obtained. Congratulations on the course.

By Paula V A L

Me ha ayudado mucho a tener una visión más tecnica a la hora de ver fotografias y el trabajo de los fotografos.

Jan 15, 2020

Todas estas semanas me enseñaron muchas cosas diferentes, y aprendí a ver la fotografía de una forma diferente.

By Omar S

May 10, 2016

Es un gran curso, toda la información que se da en el mismo es imprescindible para los fotógrafos en formación.

By Yvon C

May 1, 2020

Thank you for this course, it was a great pleasure to connect to your site in order to progress in this field.

By 林國瑛

Jun 25, 2017

Great lessons, I have learnt a lot from it! Please keep going and bring us more good classes like these, best.

By Erika T

Jul 31, 2016

It's a very good course. I love photography and learn about this incredible artists was an amazing experience.

By Inga B

This course was more enlightening, interesting and difficult than I had expected. But I loved the challenge.

By Susana G

Dec 4, 2020

Excellent course! It allows you to achieve basics about photography, not only as viewer but also as creator.

By Willy M

Highly educational and inspiring. I would certainly recommend it to my friends who are learning photography.

By Pouya M

May 28, 2017

A really good course that helped me better my vision in photography and grow as both an artist and a person.

By Barbara P

Mar 29, 2016

This course led me through different aspects of photography and provided me with new eyes to look at images.

By Ivahn a

Oct 17, 2016

The readings are truly intresting and very avant garde. great materials analyzed in a very interesting way!

By Janneth M

Jul 28, 2020

It´s an excellent course I have learnt a lot and enjoyed as well with the knowledge acquire, thanks a lot.