Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

426 - 450 of 937 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Juan M L C

Apr 13, 2020

To see, understand, enjoy and thoughtful a photograph.

Amazing and really interesting course.

By Cristina M C

Feb 08, 2020

Buen curso, para los apasionados de la fotografía. Aprendes mucho de historia de la fotografía

By Richard D

Nov 25, 2016

Congratulations to Sarah and the MoMA team on a stimulating Seeing Through Photographs course.

By cristina a a

Jun 08, 2020

Bellissimo! È stato super interessante e ho davvero cambiato la mia visione sulla fotografia.

By Raul G L

Apr 22, 2020

Really different from what I was expecting. Learned a lot and hoping to judge with new skills

By Vianny R

Aug 17, 2018

me encanto el curso, te permite ser capaz de ver diferentes tipos de imágenes, muy motivador.

By Rosemary K

Sep 09, 2020

The material was interesting, both in the selection of photographs and how it was presented.

By Erin K

Jun 08, 2020

Really cool course. I learned a lot about photography, and it changed the way I look at it.

By Candace L

Apr 23, 2020

I love this course. It was very informational and gets your critical thinking skills going.

By Amy

Nov 17, 2019

It's valuable, theoretical and practical. Thanks so much in developing the wonderful course!

By Miguel E

Nov 19, 2017

This is a great photography course, very useful, ineteresting and complete, I recommend this

By Elena

Sep 20, 2017

This course is extraordinary! I feel that I've found what I've been looking for a long time.

By Stephanie A

May 16, 2020

There is a LOT of information to gather in this course, so be prepared for lots of reading!

By Tania R

Mar 09, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed diving into photography with such an important institution as MOMA.

By Andrew R

May 18, 2016

Enjoyed the information, it was a nice refresher on some history and genres of photography.

By Rafael M R

Mar 21, 2016

Una opción excelente para todo aquel que quiere iniciarse en la maravilla de la fotografía!

By camilla m

May 22, 2016

excelente material de áudio e escrito!!! Parabéns!!! Estou adorando a riqueza do material!

By Aman A

Apr 12, 2016

a great unique course with exclusive interviews and presenting fantastic artists and works

By Gab B

Oct 04, 2019

I love the experience! I have learnt a lot and apply these to my modern photography life!

By joe n p m

Jun 29, 2017

Great course. You will learn lots of things from the very first day. So happy I took it!

By Stefania A

Apr 06, 2017

An interesting experience, stimulating and unmissable. I recommend everyone this course.

By Pedro D A L

Mar 06, 2017

Excellent approach to analytical Photography observation. This Course is a pice of Art.

By sara

Oct 13, 2017

excellent introduction to a critical view on images wit many good examples and artists

By Manuel E

Aug 01, 2016

Excelente. La manera en la que se aprende me gusta mucho, ya que nos hace reflexionar.

By Purnendu

Mar 08, 2016

Amazing so far ! Went ahead and bought a thick book to study more about the subject :)