Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

426 - 450 of 1,015 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Viktoria B

Oct 3, 2017

Very interesting course with interviews and an extensive reading list. Learned a lot about photographs.

By Rhea S

Jan 12, 2017

An eye-opening course for anyone who is interested about the development of photography over the years!

By Richard L

Jun 9, 2020

Great material. Great instructor. Great format. I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot. Thanks.

By Luana F

Apr 10, 2016

It was simply awesome ! It gave me a completely new and highly quilified point of view on photography!

By Orlando W

Apr 3, 2016

I don't really learned something new on my own and this course for the first time, i did and liked it.

By Sarah R

Jun 4, 2020

The course is well organized and offer interesting insight to move your first steps into photography.

By Wendy M

Jun 3, 2020

Fantastic course! I learned so much and it gave me an enlightened perspective on viewing photography.

By Babak D

Excellent. Really enjoyed completing and learning. Than you for creating it and making it accessible.

By Francesca D

Feb 4, 2018

Incredibly useful! I loved every module and I have learned to watch at photography in different ways.

By Carlos R

Jun 26, 2017

Have you ever been in MoMA or you'll visit it soon? You should learn about Seeing Through Photographs

By Rick W

Oct 17, 2020

Thought provoking. Challenges common notions of what photography is and how to look at photography.

By Ana M M

Terrific! I highly recomend it to people who want to learn more about photography and art in general

By Julia P L

This course is very helpful with understanding photography. Excellent examples and reading material.

By Carlos-Fernando H

Excellent course. Opening eyes to the history of photography and how to further understand this art.

By Jesus Z

Mar 5, 2018

Very good course, complete and interesting, very easy to carry and the application is very friendly.

By Andrei I

May 29, 2017

Excellent course, unusual and creative view on the photography and on our world! It makes it better!

By Kerr M

Jun 7, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyable! A concise, and coherent course that progressed my understanding of the medium

By Ryan P

Jun 1, 2020

Just amazing. I have a lot of problem with reading and I'm french but there is no excuse to learn!!

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Luis F

Mar 8, 2016

Great course, really interesting to understand photography and appreciate it more to create better.

By Isrohan A

Feb 22, 2021

it is an interesting course but I am a bit confuse and I think the tutor should make a second part

By Stamatis K

Sep 28, 2020

It’s a nice experience!!! I discover a new techniques in photography!!! I am very glad about it!!!

By Manuel G N

Jul 26, 2020

Es un excelente curso. Si me gustaría un curso ampliado de la fotografía como arte contemporaneo.

By Penny B

Nov 13, 2017

Perfect for beginners

Sufficient information to gain knowledge

Educational and not tiring or boring

By Alexandro G A S

Don't miss this course, it will change your life. It's in my top 3 (if not the best so far) MOOC.