Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

426 - 450 of 914 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Tania R

Mar 09, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed diving into photography with such an important institution as MOMA.

By Andrew R

May 18, 2016

Enjoyed the information, it was a nice refresher on some history and genres of photography.

By Rafael M R

Mar 21, 2016

Una opción excelente para todo aquel que quiere iniciarse en la maravilla de la fotografía!

By camilla m

May 22, 2016

excelente material de áudio e escrito!!! Parabéns!!! Estou adorando a riqueza do material!

By Aman A

Apr 12, 2016

a great unique course with exclusive interviews and presenting fantastic artists and works

By Christian G A B

Oct 04, 2019

I love the experience! I have learnt a lot and apply these to my modern photography life!

By joe n p m

Jun 29, 2017

Great course. You will learn lots of things from the very first day. So happy I took it!

By Stefania A

Apr 06, 2017

An interesting experience, stimulating and unmissable. I recommend everyone this course.

By Pedro D A L

Mar 06, 2017

Excellent approach to analytical Photography observation. This Course is a pice of Art.

By sara

Oct 13, 2017

excellent introduction to a critical view on images wit many good examples and artists

By Manuel E

Aug 01, 2016

Excelente. La manera en la que se aprende me gusta mucho, ya que nos hace reflexionar.

By Purnendu

Mar 08, 2016

Amazing so far ! Went ahead and bought a thick book to study more about the subject :)

By María L F

Jun 30, 2020

Very intelligent curatorial effort and a diverse approach to photography as a medium.

By Stephen D

Jun 29, 2020

An outstanding course. Access to the additional resources is priceless on their own.

By Massimo L

Mar 09, 2016

very interesting!!!

I'm surprised, it's my first course in Coursera and It's very good

By Mario I

Jun 04, 2020

Outstanding, whether you are a novice or experienced- you will gain from this course

By Natasha V

Loved this course! Highly recommended.

Wish there was the next level up to enrol in.

By Daniel L

Jun 27, 2017

Excellent and hardcore course. Train me using new way to see through photograph. Thx

By Alaa z a e f A z

Jun 18, 2016

The effect of this course on Me is amazing , worth going for interesting and great !

By Kamilah H

Jun 01, 2020

Very well put together and easy to understand. Covers a broad spectrum of subjects.

By Erwin S

Nov 28, 2017

Very interesting and delivering new views also on familiar images and photographers

By Helena K

Jan 28, 2019

A beautiful, interesting and inspiring course for all artists and art lovers alike

By Carmen D C P

Nov 16, 2016

Very interesting course. Great for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By Manuel P

Sep 02, 2016

Amazing work. It makes me more open, and no doubt, better photographer. Thank You!

By Josue R

May 12, 2020

Amazing that in such a simple way, what we learn is huge. I could not be happier.