Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE
Jun 2, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

451 - 475 of 972 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Rosemary K

Sep 9, 2020

The material was interesting, both in the selection of photographs and how it was presented.

By Erin K

Jun 7, 2020

Really cool course. I learned a lot about photography, and it changed the way I look at it.

By Candace L

Apr 23, 2020

I love this course. It was very informational and gets your critical thinking skills going.

By Amy

Nov 17, 2019

It's valuable, theoretical and practical. Thanks so much in developing the wonderful course!

By Miguel E

Nov 19, 2017

This is a great photography course, very useful, ineteresting and complete, I recommend this

By Elena

Sep 20, 2017

This course is extraordinary! I feel that I've found what I've been looking for a long time.

By Stephanie A

May 16, 2020

There is a LOT of information to gather in this course, so be prepared for lots of reading!

By Tania R

Mar 8, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed diving into photography with such an important institution as MOMA.

By Andrew R

May 18, 2016

Enjoyed the information, it was a nice refresher on some history and genres of photography.

By Rafael M R

Mar 21, 2016

Una opción excelente para todo aquel que quiere iniciarse en la maravilla de la fotografía!

By camilla m

May 21, 2016

excelente material de áudio e escrito!!! Parabéns!!! Estou adorando a riqueza do material!

By Aman A

Apr 11, 2016

a great unique course with exclusive interviews and presenting fantastic artists and works

By Gab B

Oct 4, 2019

I love the experience! I have learnt a lot and apply these to my modern photography life!

By Larissa A

Nov 25, 2020

Curso execelente! Com muitos exemplos, dados e informações para pensar sobre fotografia.

By Barbara K

Nov 5, 2020

This was an excellent, fun class. I only wish it was longer or that there was a Part 2.

By joe n p m

Jun 29, 2017

Great course. You will learn lots of things from the very first day. So happy I took it!

By Stefania A

Apr 6, 2017

An interesting experience, stimulating and unmissable. I recommend everyone this course.

By Pedro D A L

Mar 6, 2017

Excellent approach to analytical Photography observation. This Course is a pice of Art.

By sara

Oct 13, 2017

excellent introduction to a critical view on images wit many good examples and artists

By Manuel E

Jul 31, 2016

Excelente. La manera en la que se aprende me gusta mucho, ya que nos hace reflexionar.

By Purnendu

Mar 8, 2016

Amazing so far ! Went ahead and bought a thick book to study more about the subject :)

By María L F

Jun 30, 2020

Very intelligent curatorial effort and a diverse approach to photography as a medium.

By Stephen D

Jun 29, 2020

An outstanding course. Access to the additional resources is priceless on their own.

By Massimo L

Mar 9, 2016

very interesting!!!

I'm surprised, it's my first course in Coursera and It's very good

By Mario I

Jun 4, 2020

Outstanding, whether you are a novice or experienced- you will gain from this course