Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

201 - 225 of 957 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Karlis P

Mar 02, 2018

Thank you for putting this course up on coursera. I really appreciate the amount of work that has been put into it. The results is both educational and entertaining. I have already recommended this to friends.

By Carla E

May 08, 2020

Fantastic course! Loved every minute and enjoyed it so much. Thank you MoMa and Sarah Meister for creating this wonderful course which has taught me and incredible amount about photography and how to view it.

By Luis B

Apr 03, 2017

I really enjoyed the course, the way it is structured, the clarity of concepts and the agility to go from one topic to another.

I learned a lot and I want to enroll in more courses with you.

By Yajayra P

Oct 20, 2020

Oportunidades como estas son las necesarias para abrir nuestros ojos en el campo profesional y asi tener una visión amplia de hacia donde necesitamos encaminar nuestros esfuerzos. Gracias por la oportunidad.

By Elian J A

Feb 06, 2018

Wonderful and comprehensive course content, great selection of issues, supported by wonderful material. Lots of interesting food for thought, fascinating history, and brilliant artists and works to discover!

By Sebastian P

Oct 20, 2016

It is a great study program for photography. I want to congratulate the whole staff of MOMA for this complete and marvelous description of the history of this medium along with the current exploration of it.

By Eva F

Mar 17, 2016

Very interesting introduction to the history of photography as a medium to see and interpret reality. A rich bibliography with extracts from MoMA catalogues and photography classic books. Great experience!

By Panagiotis C

Dec 09, 2016

The material of this course is of high quality. Well designed and presented. Highly recommended to anyone wishing to gain some basic knowledge on the historically conscious body of the photographic world.

By Giuseppina T

Oct 06, 2016

It was a very interesting experience! Great authors and professors. I learned a lot and I hope this platform will help people to increase their photographic culture, like it did to me!! Enjoy the course!

By OLAF D G

Seeing Through Photographs is a very well structured course. It gives you a complete understanding of photography history and its application through different times and furthermore in contemporary art.

By Ricardo T M

May 01, 2020

A great course offered by MoMA. I really liked the general content of the course, full of historical information and full of articles and resources from important people in the world of art photography.

By Nirandhi G

Oct 18, 2016

I really enjoyed the modules in the course, especially the one about documentary photography. I liked how the last module brought in the contemporary world too. Great course, very helpful and educating.

By Elena L

Jun 27, 2016

I loved the class. As a photographer sometimes I tend to be very focus in gear and technology. I loved the artist approach of the class. I learn about great photographers and their influence in society.

By JAVIER F F

Jan 25, 2018

It has been an excellent course that allows to learn very interesting concepts about the history of photography, photographic narrative and has allowed me to learn with the works of great photographers

By lisette v e

Inspiring course if you love photography. In 6 weeks time you'll get indepth information about history, techniques, backgrounds on both artist as artworks. Mostly pieces that are acquired by MoMa.

By Aleksander P

Jul 01, 2020

I am very grateful to the group of creators from MoMA who prepared this course for the gigantic work done and for putting their heart into it. We, students, are really appreciate it! Thank You :)

By Arely F O

May 23, 2019

Is a excellent curse for understand better the history of the photography. Every photo represent perfectly the topic in the week. MoMA give the best information for learn and analize the themes.

By Giselle S

Aug 22, 2018

It´s a full course about all aspects of photography which has changed my perspective and placed me in other level. I´m grateful for beeing able to take it. My sincere compliment to all involved.

By Matias S

Jun 20, 2020

If you're a photographer or you're interested in photography's history, this will be great for you. You get the chance to know about many photographers and different themes of the media itself.

By Wong K K H

May 13, 2020

This course has brought me into a new perspective in seeing photos. A very inspiring course which has in-depth of how others making the photos and how the photos interpret the time and history.

By Silvia M

Apr 19, 2020

wonderful course!very interesting ,I think is the best for improve your skills.i want to say a big thank you to Sarah and all the MoMa team for the lessions,the unique material and the video.

By Washington M M

Jun 27, 2018

I have gained a lot of knowledge with this course. The content of each module helped me to deepen the aspects of intellectual creation presented by each image. It has simply been enlightening.

By Claudio V

Jun 03, 2020

I loved this course. Built very well and has dealt with all the issues in a complete and exhaustive way, it has allowed me to open my mind to new and interesting interpretations. Really good.

By Diego S

Apr 20, 2020

A highly professional course, which certainly helps the student to expand his photographic knowledge as well as his creativity.

The reflections will not fail.

Thanks for the opportunity MOMA.

By Antonella B

Aug 18, 2017

Wonderful. To get into Moma archives has been incredible. Interviews are so interesting. Really grest course. Couldn't imagine such a gift! Thank YOU. From the heart.

Antonella, Rome. Italy.