Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

251 - 275 of 912 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By patricia y

Dec 22, 2017

Very interesting course. It is a introduction course to interpretation and history of photography. Interesting topics are developed along the weeks with amazing videos.

By Purice A

Mar 21, 2016

A great insight into Photography. A mix of history and artistic education, mostly orientated towards art. I've discovered some new doors into the world of photography.

By Emanuele C

Apr 26, 2017

This course keeps what the title promises, look through the photographs, is a truly innovative course, once completed the photos will be seen with new eyes. Great!!!!

By Alejandro E F B

Mar 05, 2016

Thorough and interesting contents. Amenable. Quite hard to pass as I have not enough time for it, which I regret. Trying to catch up.

Congratulations to Sarah Meister.

By Moira S

Apr 08, 2020

Excellent insightful and interesting course. It has enhanced my understanding and provided me with a greater depth of understanding to my own photography. Thank you.

By Camilla B

Feb 16, 2020

A wonderful journey through the evolution of photography, thoroughly organized and full of interesting and original inputs. I would love Moma to set up a second one!

By Mariano B A

Dec 30, 2019

I found the course very interesting and educational, it gave me the opportunity to explore more about photography and to know also some autors I did'nt know before.

By Christos G

Oct 10, 2017

Excellent introduction to the world of photography as an art. Valuable hints and advice that might help everyone to better receive and perceive visual information.

By Nima B

Jun 08, 2020

thanks MOMA for your well sequenced course " Seeing through Photography".

I could clean and match my knowledge puzzle about looking at photography in critical way.

By Sheng A H

Jun 01, 2020

Amazing content and truly a source of inspiration! Very nice to see a lot of examples, very insightful readings and the ideas explained directly from the artists.

By Alejandro E R N

Dec 12, 2016

I really liked it. I knew the world of photography is extense, but i never took the moment to completely learn about it. This course is complete and interesting.

By Sally M

It was engaging and I learned a lot about how to think about photographs and questions to about them. May contribute to how I make my photographs going forward.

By Pierre O

Jun 26, 2017

I really enjoyed and learn't a lot from this amazing course. It shall absolutely assist me knowledge and creative wise with my further ventures into this field.

By Frederico A S J

Apr 30, 2020

I`ve studed shot for years in Brasil , but after the course , I could see more critically some work that I use to admire, but from now on I began to understand

By rafael g

Jun 26, 2020

It has been an excellent course, in terms of content, exercises, discussions. 100% recommended for anyone who likes to look, but above all think photography.

By Isabel G

Mar 24, 2016

Por lo que llevo completado hasta el momento me parece que puede ser un curso muy interesante dada la manera reflexiva en que vamos a estudiar la fotografía.

By Gerardo M G N

Jul 30, 2020

t is an excellent course, instructor Sarah Meister guides you through the entire course in a simple, focused and well-documented way. I highly recommend it.

By catherine c w

I haven't enjoyed a course this much since college! (25+ years!)

Thank you for this wonderful survey of photography as art. It has renewed my interest in it.

By Taciana S

Dec 20, 2017

I got new knowledge about the art of photography, which will allow me to more consciously and critically treat what I see in the photo. Thank you very much!

By Jeff P

Aug 22, 2017

Truly authoritative materials and the opportunity to customize your learning make this a good introduction on how to look at photography as an art movement.

By Yosselyn A S R

Jun 26, 2016

All the information is really useful to form a criteria about photography, and also it helps to understand which is the role of photography and our society.

By Kit H

Jun 26, 2017

I really learned a lot from the course, it widen my narrow mindset in photography. I am glad I joined this course. Right choice made at the right moment ;>

By Laura D G

Nov 14, 2016

Very interesting course of different aspects to take into account when we look at a photography. Perfect for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By TERESA Z

Dec 11, 2017

A very good course, with rich materials, great interviews with a huge number of artists explaining thier work and their idea of photography. Recommended!

By Paul H

Apr 02, 2020

I found this to be an enjoyable comprehensive exploration of the history of photography viewed from a contemporary perspective. Diverse and eye-opening.