Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

251 - 275 of 972 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Ana M A

Nov 11, 2018

i thoroughly enjoyed this course a lot more than i expected. Being able to question imagery and its narrative in different ways. Love to digest things differently. Thank you so much

By Beatriz C C

Dec 1, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs is a fantastic course. It is perfectly guided and contains a lot of interesting, valuable and useful material. I enjoyed it enormously. Totally recommend.

By Karin F

Oct 26, 2019

Thank you so much for this vital course. I loved the interviews and Slideshows. Some of the reading material was too vague for my taste. But otherall it was a fantastic experience!

By Beatrice G

Nov 14, 2017

This course gives you a wide overview at different techniques, styles and fields of photography, from its birth till present day. I would recommend it for both novices and experts.

By Clyde E a

seeing through photography surprisingly opened my mind to the creative possibilities in photography and the possibility to transfer the topics to my profession and to my hobbies.

By Clément H

Apr 13, 2020

A very good course for those who have a bit of time to invest in reading. The interviews are very interesting and the selection of readings gives a lot of material to reflect on.

By Michelle H

May 2, 2017

Great introduction to looking critically at images, challenging myself with questions about images. Course is well presented with an interesting array of artists and interviews.

By Lydia P

Jul 12, 2019

Awesome course, Amazing wealth of knowledge, Εxceptional photographers. Profesional and joyfull ride to the magic world of Photography. Thank you Sarah Meister, MOMA, Coursera.

By Laura M

Jun 13, 2020

un corso ben strutturato e perfetto per ogni tipo di persona. Io sono italiana e ho trovato molto semplice il metodo di spiegazione utilizzato. Ottimi video e contenuti extra.

By Eliza B

Apr 25, 2018

It was a very nice surprise that interviews with famous photographers have been included.

It's a way of viewing behind the scenes that can change the way one sees photography.

By Elena S

Jun 29, 2016

Absolutely Awesome! It is a time travel reviewing history, psychology and others important factors of the humanity. Really enjoyable and really high quality. Highly impressed.

By Fabiola C

Mar 8, 2016

Sono solo all'inizio di questo corso (la terza settimana) ma lo trovo ottimo e ben fatto, malgrado la mia resistenza alla lingua inglese proseguo il cammino. Consigliatissimo!

By Benjamin B

May 15, 2020

If you love photography this course is a must!

Photographs contain lots of information and through this course you will learn how to approach an image to really appreciate it.

By Mike B

May 28, 2019

Really useful insights to the works of photographers over the years and how styles have evolved/been revolutionised. Great course content and challenging quizes/assignments

By Janelle L

Mar 27, 2016

Excellent, comprehensive, thoughtful, informative. I am extremely impressed by the content and the resources provided. I would like it to be offered again.

Thank you so much.

By Elizabeth S

Aug 27, 2020

It was a great course. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. The presentations were interesting and the reading list was extensive. I am recommending it to many others.

By Rossana B

Mar 9, 2020

A really interesting curse. It open My eyes to different concepts I didnt enjoy before. Loved the work of so many photographers! Moma made a great work creating this curse!

By ayumi k

Jul 21, 2017

Each session is very beautiful with many photographs and great explanations. I am looking forward to look at many photographs with the background knowledge learning here.

By Alessandro P

Apr 12, 2016

Useful and indispensable course for those who work with images: by photographers to graphic designers; by art curators to museum directors, etc.

Truly a well built course.

By Liv D

May 12, 2020

This course was wonderful. I loved learning about each artist every week and being able to have access to the archives at the MoMA, Thank you Sarah for an amazing class!

By Noemí P S

Nov 11, 2018

Interesting approach of looking photographs through different issues. I also learnt ways to look at pictures.Strongly recommend for those people who love photography.

By patricia y

Dec 22, 2017

Very interesting course. It is a introduction course to interpretation and history of photography. Interesting topics are developed along the weeks with amazing videos.

By Virginia K

Aug 25, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. I was so involved that I did the 6 weeks of study in just one week But intend to go back through the readings and resources to learn more..

By Purice A

Mar 21, 2016

A great insight into Photography. A mix of history and artistic education, mostly orientated towards art. I've discovered some new doors into the world of photography.