Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE
Jun 2, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

351 - 375 of 970 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By MARILINA B

Oct 20, 2020

Hola! Cuando puse restablecer mis fechas, perdí mis notas de las 3 semanas anteriores. Cómo puedo recuperar mis calificaciones?

By Paulina G

May 22, 2020

I really enjoyed the course!

I just wish there was another week about composition or technique !

Loved the videos and interviews

By Shalini G

Apr 22, 2020

Very well curated and informative course for any one interested in reading and critically evaluating the world through imagery.

By Mari C

Jul 30, 2020

Great way to learn about art and all the ways it's used to show life, progress, pain, love, beauty, etc... Loved this course:)

By Valentino M

An amazing course that inspires people on doing something for the future, like a photo that can be remembered for long times.

By Pablo C

Apr 29, 2020

Es muy buen curso, me costó porque es muy poco el material traducido, pero en cuanto a lo formativo deja un buen aprendizaje.

By Alonso K

Aug 26, 2016

Es una Excelente opcion para formar mejor criterio Fotografico/

It is an excellent choice for best photographic Form criterion

By Ludovic P

May 16, 2020

Ce cours m'a permis de développer mes compétence en photographie ! Je le conseille à toute personne passionnée par la photo.

By Natalie K

Feb 29, 2016

Incredibly beautiful course. I appreciate the care that the course team put into the production and the content.

I'm hooked!

By Catalin S

May 7, 2020

Excellent introduction in a critical approach of reading, looking and seeing photography as an expressive artistic medium.

By María d L G M

Mar 25, 2019

I love how you can improve your skills with this course and how you can understand the great job behind every photograph.

By Eutropio R

Jun 3, 2018

its been a rewarding course, really interesting for me that I've been working as a photographer for the last twenty years

By Manos S

This was my first experience with Coursera & MOMA. Great material, user-friendly environment, very inspiring. Well done!

By Ishan M K

Apr 5, 2020

Beautiful course that changed my perspective looking at photographs as fine arts. Loved the history bits here and there.

By Andrea M

Mar 30, 2020

This course is beautiful, with a lot of material! Is a good way to develop skills to read a photo or series of pictures.

By Laura G

Apr 11, 2016

Amazing course! Each module was very well constructed and the supporting material was very interesting and professional.

By Paolo F G

Well structured course, I had opportunity to know new photographers and artist which enlarge my viewing of photography.

By Eesha P

Oct 6, 2019

This was an amazing and a very informative course. I had really fun learning about the history of photography this way.

By Alexandra d C

Jun 19, 2018

AWSOME COURSE.VERY WELL DOCUMENTED AND MENTORED. IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE LEARNING AND WORKING ON THIS COURSE. THANK YOU!

By MIKAELLA T

Apr 8, 2016

very interesting with a big amount of info in regards to photography..the best part for me was documentary photography!

By Nicola G T

You think you know about Photography but you have no idea! Extremely interesting and useful, completely worth the time

By Natalia P

Great course which opened my eyes and heart to photographic language even more. Thank you Sarah and Coursera so much!

By Jamie e

Jul 1, 2020

Fundamentally changed how I view and understand photographs which I will utilise in my picture making moving forward

By Martin O

May 23, 2018

Corso veramente interessante e pieno di spunti utili e creativi incentrato sui lavori esposti al MoMA. Lo consiglio.

By Paulo S K

Aug 1, 2016

This course is excellent. great learning experience. parabens teachers and help desk support team especially Marie .