Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

351 - 375 of 956 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Catalin S

May 07, 2020

Excellent introduction in a critical approach of reading, looking and seeing photography as an expressive artistic medium.

By María d L G M

Mar 25, 2019

I love how you can improve your skills with this course and how you can understand the great job behind every photograph.

By Eutropio R

Jun 03, 2018

its been a rewarding course, really interesting for me that I've been working as a photographer for the last twenty years

By Manos S

This was my first experience with Coursera & MOMA. Great material, user-friendly environment, very inspiring. Well done!

By Ishan M K

Apr 05, 2020

Beautiful course that changed my perspective looking at photographs as fine arts. Loved the history bits here and there.

By Andrea M

Mar 30, 2020

This course is beautiful, with a lot of material! Is a good way to develop skills to read a photo or series of pictures.

By Laura G

Apr 11, 2016

Amazing course! Each module was very well constructed and the supporting material was very interesting and professional.

By Paolo F G

Well structured course, I had opportunity to know new photographers and artist which enlarge my viewing of photography.

By Eesha P

Oct 06, 2019

This was an amazing and a very informative course. I had really fun learning about the history of photography this way.

By Alexandra d C

Jun 19, 2018

AWSOME COURSE.VERY WELL DOCUMENTED AND MENTORED. IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE LEARNING AND WORKING ON THIS COURSE. THANK YOU!

By MIKAELLA T

Apr 08, 2016

very interesting with a big amount of info in regards to photography..the best part for me was documentary photography!

By Nicola G T

You think you know about Photography but you have no idea! Extremely interesting and useful, completely worth the time

By Natalia P

Great course which opened my eyes and heart to photographic language even more. Thank you Sarah and Coursera so much!

By Jamie e

Jul 01, 2020

Fundamentally changed how I view and understand photographs which I will utilise in my picture making moving forward

By Martin O

May 23, 2018

Corso veramente interessante e pieno di spunti utili e creativi incentrato sui lavori esposti al MoMA. Lo consiglio.

By Paulo S K

Aug 01, 2016

This course is excellent. great learning experience. parabens teachers and help desk support team especially Marie .

By Gabriel M

Mar 27, 2016

This was a great course with very good and interesting sources of material which I have really enjoyed and learned.

By Ariel S

Mar 12, 2016

I really like how detailed everything is. The reading is a little tough but they're all rather informative. Thanks!

By Guido D

A great view on a topic that is not always adress in the importance that must have. Don't doubt to do this course!

By Katherine E

Jul 14, 2016

Just phenomenal. It's beyond words. A real experiental learning opportunity that riches across history and time.

By Aniket S C

Jun 30, 2020

The course is exceptionally well laid out and has helped me to not just look at photographs but see through them!

By Peter L

Jun 14, 2020

Very helpful as an introduction to the world of photography and how we could use it to view the world we live in.

By PARDUZZI A

Nov 22, 2017

I love this course is very emotional, emphathy and open my mind into fantastic world of photography

Thanks so much

By JANETT J J R

Oct 21, 2017

La metodología es la mejor, fácil de aprender e interpretar los textos. Me ayudo mucho a entender las fotografías