Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

576 - 600 of 1,015 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Rubén D R G

Jan 30, 2021

Muy buen curso, para ampliar mas tus conocimientos de fotografia

By Tony S

May 22, 2020

Extremely interesting course based on plenty of useful resources

By Suhela A

May 13, 2020

Enhanced my knowledge and opened the inner creativity within me!

By Andrés M M

Aug 22, 2017

Very interesting, I liked the contents and photographs presented

By Lerans G

Nov 19, 2016

It's perfect for introduce to historical art photogrphy. Thanks

By Wanda M

Jun 17, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I wish it had been longer.

Thanks!

By Edward R

Sep 26, 2019

Great course, recommended to anyone interested in photography.

By Anca I B

Apr 22, 2019

Extremely interesting and a vast amount of valuable resources!

By Mavis W

Aug 8, 2016

Great course with helpful resources and suitable for beginners

By Alexandro D M

Jul 15, 2016

Maravilhoso! muda totalmente a concepção de fotografia e arte.

By Pablo T

Apr 14, 2020

Very interesting insight into photography genres and history!

By Ileana G G H

Mar 1, 2018

Interesting for those interested in interpretation of images.

By Michael S

Apr 14, 2016

the course is well made, I've learned a lot about photography

Aug 30, 2020

So instructive and informative. Kept me engaged throughout.

By Mikhail T

Very useful course. Required to study for all photographers.

By Antonio P

Apr 9, 2016

An amazing journey through the various faces of photography.

By Mamé S

Feb 28, 2021

Thanks a lot Sarah Meisters, your are a great professional.

By Bettina S

Jun 6, 2020

I loved taking this course. I wish there were more like it.

By Alessandro O

Jun 6, 2020

A wonderful experience. It gave me a new energy to go on...

By Katerina L

Very interesting course. I learned a lot about photography.

By Gabrielle H

Jul 18, 2017

Wonderful course, I loved every single lectures. Thank you!

By Ping H C

Mar 11, 2016

great course, very intersting introduction of photography ~

By Anastasiia K

It was very excellent and useful. Thank you for your work!

By Stephen s

May 5, 2020

I found the reason for the kind of pictures I like taking!

By Susanna S

Apr 17, 2020

I liked very much this course. I recommend it to everybody