Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

576 - 600 of 955 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Ignacio R G

Apr 04, 2016

Gives you a different way of seeing in your day to day.

By Jose G

Sep 21, 2020

Excelent course!! Changed my whole view of photography

By Ahmed S S I E

Feb 08, 2020

the best course for me it is factory of photographers

By Herman d P

Oct 16, 2017

Great course to widen your horizon about photography.

By Tony W

Thank you! A very interesting and worthwhile course!

By Montse P D

Apr 24, 2020

Great course congratulatios!!! . I`ll recommed this.

By Arnaud T

Aug 31, 2017

Great course, with a lot of material and references.

By Sara M R

Mar 03, 2016

Bellissimo, diverso, nuovo e approfondito.

Grazie :)

By Jenn B

This course was fabulous. I am sorry to see it end

By Santiago d l T

Jun 18, 2018

Excelente curso con un contenido muy enriquecedor.

By Fabrizio D

Mar 09, 2016

Course on photography really well done and useful.

By Ricardo L R

Mar 06, 2016

excellent! as a photographers we should know this!

By Sandra P C

Mar 04, 2016

Amazing teacher and great material for the course!

By Juan V

May 04, 2020

Really satisfied with the content and methodology

By Silvia M G

Aug 01, 2016

Great course! Really interesting and well done !

By Sonsoles C d B

Apr 28, 2016

Very useful and interesting! Highly recommended!

By Jean-Philippe R

Apr 17, 2016

Excellent cours sur le fond et la forme !

Bravo !

By Gruk A

Apr 04, 2016

Great course, recomeneded for photography lovers

By Cristina T V

Mar 12, 2016

Very interesting, lots of important information,

By Geir L E

Aug 10, 2018

Thus far, very thought provoking and inspiring.

By Paraskevas V

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course, very helpful and educational.

By Alessia C

May 25, 2017

Great course, very interesting and stimulating.

By karina t

Mar 08, 2016

Love the texts and how engaging the videos are.

By Ivonne G L

Jul 16, 2020

I really enjoyed this course :) Thank you all!

By Pilar

Jul 11, 2019

Muy buen curso me gustaria hacerlo em español.