Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE

Jun 03, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

201 - 225 of 752 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Taciana S

Dec 20, 2017

I got new knowledge about the art of photography, which will allow me to more consciously and critically treat what I see in the photo. Thank you very much!

By Jeff P

Aug 22, 2017

Truly authoritative materials and the opportunity to customize your learning make this a good introduction on how to look at photography as an art movement.

By Yosselyn A S R

Jun 26, 2016

All the information is really useful to form a criteria about photography, and also it helps to understand which is the role of photography and our society.

By Kit H

Jun 26, 2017

I really learned a lot from the course, it widen my narrow mindset in photography. I am glad I joined this course. Right choice made at the right moment ;>

By Laura D G

Nov 14, 2016

Very interesting course of different aspects to take into account when we look at a photography. Perfect for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By TERESA Z

Dec 11, 2017

A very good course, with rich materials, great interviews with a huge number of artists explaining thier work and their idea of photography. Recommended!

By Paul H

Apr 02, 2020

I found this to be an enjoyable comprehensive exploration of the history of photography viewed from a contemporary perspective. Diverse and eye-opening.

By RAMSES E C M

Nov 08, 2017

Excelente para tener una noción de la Historia de la Fotografía Estadounidense, a partir del archivo documental del Museo de Arte Moderno de Nueva York.

By Yi J F

Feb 24, 2020

An amazing opportunity to tap into the resources of MoMA with a structured and easy to follow lesson plan, artist interviews, and curated reading lists

By magdalena

Mar 20, 2016

Me encanta la persona que da el curso, explica muy bien y tiene una manera de hacer que pongas mucha atención, y al mismo tiempo explica sencillamente.

By Caroline W

Mar 04, 2016

This is a very fabolous and intelligent course about photography among the years.

The Plus is the inside view of the artists! Thx a lot MOMA- i am Fan!

By Paul G

May 03, 2018

Thanks to this course I now have a greater focus to appreciate a photograph, I think this is very important to determine the visual quality of a photo

By Céline H

May 22, 2016

Fascinating course! I'm discovering and learning so much! I also could spend hours looking at the selected pictures of the course... Thank you! Céline

By Nicholas K

Feb 23, 2016

You will never see any photo the same ever again. Fantastic course. Supplemental readings are wonderful. So grateful to the folks at MoMA for this.

By Sara-Jane C

May 07, 2020

This is a fascinating course, providing excellent course material, allowing you to explore further the world of vernacular and fine art photography.

By Luisa G

Jan 08, 2020

It helps me to understand the importance of knowing the photography background, so now I can see new perspectives when I am going to take a picture.

By Josip H G O

Dec 04, 2017

Great introductory course. It covers most of the aspects of photography and gives suggestions to those who want to learn more. Thank you very much!

By Rodrigo N d N

Aug 09, 2017

This course is very good it has improved my way of analyzing and understanding about the concept that every photographer had when doing his work

By Miguel A T O ( G D

Jul 24, 2017

It`s great, I enjoyed taking this course, I never thought that I could do this! I learned a lots of things and I “meet” some interesting artists.

By Ximena R M

May 29, 2017

I am very happy to have taken the course, the contents, the exams and everything is very well, I am proud of the result and I highly recommend it

By Stefano A

Very interesting course, great material and courseware.

Interesting and fascinating topics are presented during the 6 weeks course. To recommend.

By anna l j

Jan 10, 2018

Inspiring, and life changing!

Beautifully curated

and a truly balanced celebration of voices

to include female pioneers and african-american voice

By Federico M

May 04, 2017

A comprehensive vision of the evolution of photography as a medium, exploring all its different languages, meanings and evolutions through time.

By Vaishnavi P

Apr 22, 2020

It is an extremely educative and rich on the content course. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get a broader perspective on photography.

By Rodrigo N

May 20, 2016

I've just have learned a lot with this first week less. Reading history and getting to know important photographers, fact, moments and curiosit