Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD
Dec 25, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

326 - 350 of 1,006 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By vaishnavi p

Apr 22, 2020

It is an extremely educative and rich on the content course. Highly recommended for anyone looking to get a broader perspective on photography.

By Rodrigo N

May 20, 2016

I've just have learned a lot with this first week less. Reading history and getting to know important photographers, fact, moments and curiosit

By Alexey B

Jul 1, 2020

Awesome course, great learning materials and presentations! Extremely useful for many photograpers and people just interested in photography.

By Chinoy M

Feb 23, 2020

An exemplary course that opens ones eyes to a better understanding and appreciation for photographs and their artistic and scientific history.

By Richard D

Aug 21, 2016

Excellent course, thoroughly recommended if you're interested in understanding the history of photography as an expressive and artistic medium

By Nora A d R

Apr 13, 2020

An incredible way to learn about the history of photography and its main aspects, currents and artistic waves. It could not have been better!

By Jose G P S

Nov 11, 2018

This course helped me discover a point of view different from the one I had used. A part helped me improve even in my way of taking pictures.

By Sara D T

Un corso molto interessante che ha permesso chi conoscere meglio il mondo della fotografia e di guardare gli scatti dall'occhio dell'artista

By FABIO A

An interesting path of photography from the past to the present. Very interesting and very positive course to interact with others students

By Yen A C

Excellently curated course that really dives deep into the fundamentals and growth of photography as a medium. I loved every second of it.

By Sonia l a B

Apr 18, 2020

I appreciated a lot this course because it was full of arguments I had never faced and because every issue, idea, was explained very clear

By Tanjir

Feb 13, 2016

Loved this course- kinda short- but very informative and organized well with a lot of examples! Would love to see more courses like this!

By Enrico F

Jun 8, 2020

Really interesting, it gives a deep wide view not only on the techniques but also on the personal evolution of the view of photographers

By Josephine d F

Mar 8, 2018

Highly recommended. Was a very inspiring course to follow. The interactive way it is being thought is very helpful. Thanks so much MoMA.

By Guilherme M d S

Oct 16, 2020

Excelente. Super recomendo. Curso cheio de conhecimento e informações que nos ajudam a entender sobre os processos de criação e imagem.

By pimon c

Nov 9, 2020

I have learned this program in May and I got new knowledge about photographs. This is the best one that I will recommend to my friend.

By tom f

I enjoyed this class because it will allow me to bring additional perspectives to the photo history classes that I teach. Thank you.

By José O R

Aug 15, 2016

A great instance to learn and appreciate visual art media through an extensive review of the different approaches of this discipline.

By Davide B

Mar 27, 2016

Well stuctured and well supported, I like courses that open questions and not give only ansers. The support material is very preciuos

By Lisa S

Mar 1, 2016

Love it, been finding new things about photography that i didnt know and it confirms my decision of walking this path, super happy :D

By Juan I

May 29, 2018

Un curso muy interesante en el cual pude aprender mucho de la historia de la fotografía y la complejidad de esta expresión artística

By Eileen B A

Aug 18, 2016

It is really good you have interviews with the actual photographers and that they share something about their work :) Learned a lot.

By Denise O

Apr 4, 2016

Very informative! Excellent links to reading resources. Would highly recommend the course to anyone with an interest in photography.

By Ivelina M

Mar 17, 2016

I like the commentary and the readings. It is an amazing sneak peek into MoMA's collection and very objective overview of the works.