Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Although taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us, our regular engagement with images does not necessarily make us visually literate. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art and hear a variety of perspectives on what a photograph is and the ways that photography has been used throughout its nearly 180 year history: as a means of artistic expression, as a tool for science and exploration; as an instrument of documentation; to tell stories and record histories; and as a mode of communication and critique in our ever increasingly visual culture. Learning Objectives • Develop skills to better examine and understand the differences between photographs and photographic images. • Discover how context influences the production, circulation, and reception of photographic images. • Learn about different modes of artistic and technological experimentation and innovation in photography. • Investigate photography’s role in our increasingly visual culture....

AQ

Mar 09, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

AD

Dec 26, 2019

This is a really great way to get a beginners academic insight into photography, really interesting video and written content. I learned a lot and enjoyed studying again, thank you MoMA and Coursera!

401 - 425 of 910 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Stefanos K

Feb 23, 2019

Was an excellent course and reminder of Photography's Why.

Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Luis F

Mar 09, 2016

Great course, really interesting to understand photography and appreciate it more to create better.

By Manuel G N

Jul 26, 2020

Es un excelente curso. Si me gustaría un curso ampliado de la fotografía como arte contemporaneo.

By Penny B

Nov 13, 2017

Perfect for beginners

Sufficient information to gain knowledge

Educational and not tiring or boring

By Alexandro G A S

Don't miss this course, it will change your life. It's in my top 3 (if not the best so far) MOOC.

By edith o

Jan 28, 2020

Extremely comprehensive, great overview of history of photography and those who moved it forward.

By Oliver T M

Nov 16, 2019

An awesome course that let me understand better why i should consider Photograph as a form of art

By Jose G

Nov 06, 2017

Great! You learn how to learn to see photographs the right way through history and photographers.

By Juan M D L H

Jun 12, 2017

Muy completo y didáctico, te enseña a ver el mundo y sobre todo la fotografía de manera distinta.

By Mark A

Jun 23, 2020

This was an enjoyable and informative course. It was a nice mix of videos and reading material.

By Ana Z

Apr 04, 2016

Pese a las complicaciones idiomáticas. Todo fue muy bueno, valió la pena el esfuerzo. ¡Gracias!

By Natali H P

Feb 29, 2016

Una excelente manera de iniciarse en la historia de la fotografía y en el lenguaje fotográfico.

By Juan M L C

Apr 13, 2020

To see, understand, enjoy and thoughtful a photograph.

Amazing and really interesting course.

By Cristina M C

Feb 08, 2020

Buen curso, para los apasionados de la fotografía. Aprendes mucho de historia de la fotografía

By Richard D

Nov 25, 2016

Congratulations to Sarah and the MoMA team on a stimulating Seeing Through Photographs course.

By cristina a a

Jun 08, 2020

Bellissimo! È stato super interessante e ho davvero cambiato la mia visione sulla fotografia.

By Raul G L

Apr 22, 2020

Really different from what I was expecting. Learned a lot and hoping to judge with new skills

By Vianny R

Aug 17, 2018

me encanto el curso, te permite ser capaz de ver diferentes tipos de imágenes, muy motivador.

By Erin K

Jun 08, 2020

Really cool course. I learned a lot about photography, and it changed the way I look at it.

By Candace L

Apr 23, 2020

I love this course. It was very informational and gets your critical thinking skills going.

By Amy

Nov 17, 2019

It's valuable, theoretical and practical. Thanks so much in developing the wonderful course!

By Miguel E

Nov 19, 2017

This is a great photography course, very useful, ineteresting and complete, I recommend this

By Elena

Sep 20, 2017

This course is extraordinary! I feel that I've found what I've been looking for a long time.

By Stephanie A

May 16, 2020

There is a LOT of information to gather in this course, so be prepared for lots of reading!

By Tania R

Mar 09, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed diving into photography with such an important institution as MOMA.