Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

EE
Jun 2, 2019

It was very insightful, and a good thing is they offered quizzes and other full content, which some other free courses do not, which really helps learning. Hope to go for other courses under them. :)

476 - 500 of 973 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Mario I

Jun 4, 2020

Outstanding, whether you are a novice or experienced- you will gain from this course

By Natasha V

Loved this course! Highly recommended.

Wish there was the next level up to enrol in.

By Daniel L

Jun 27, 2017

Excellent and hardcore course. Train me using new way to see through photograph. Thx

By Alaa z a e f A z

Jun 17, 2016

The effect of this course on Me is amazing , worth going for interesting and great !

By Kamilah H

Jun 1, 2020

Very well put together and easy to understand. Covers a broad spectrum of subjects.

By Erwin S

Nov 28, 2017

Very interesting and delivering new views also on familiar images and photographers

By Helena K

Jan 28, 2019

A beautiful, interesting and inspiring course for all artists and art lovers alike

By Carmen D C P

Nov 16, 2016

Very interesting course. Great for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By Manuel P

Sep 2, 2016

Amazing work. It makes me more open, and no doubt, better photographer. Thank You!

By Josue R

May 12, 2020

Amazing that in such a simple way, what we learn is huge. I could not be happier.

By mandy B e

Mar 31, 2020

I mandy evans of Cave, City Arkansas love and have learn a lot in this class.

By Alisa I

Jul 12, 2019

I learned a lot about the history of photography. Really useful for art curators.

By Lionel J P

Feb 6, 2018

Comprehensive material, intelligently presented and interesting! I learned a lot.

By Jan L E

Aug 10, 2020

The course gave me a better understanding of how to appreciate photographs more.

By Elio B S

May 15, 2020

The most inspiring learning experience i ever had online. Was totally a pleasure

By Gustavo S

Sep 25, 2019

Muy recomendado para contextualizar los conceptos históricos sobre la fotografía

By Panferova E V

Sep 17, 2019

interesting course, and I learned a lot of new information and new photographers

By maria p f c

Mar 6, 2018

I really love this course. I appreciate all the new perspectives thath gives me.

By Brent S

Jun 19, 2016

Excellent course! The quizzes are a bit too hard, but the material is fantastic.

By Rebecca G

May 3, 2016

Interesting subject matter, and important regarding art and history and culture.

By David H

Jun 29, 2020

Curso muy interesante y que te da un nuevo enfoque en el mundo de la fotografía

By Jordan M

Jun 8, 2020

I learned a lot during this cours, I won't look the photographs as before now.

By Breddy J G

Mar 22, 2020

excelente curso, gracias a la prof, y el contenido, gracias por la oportunidad

By claudio P

Jun 24, 2020

Objective, accessible, democratic and with great content, format and quality.

By Priyanka

Jun 8, 2020

'Seeing through photographs' opened up a whole new world through a fresh lens