Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

476 - 500 of 1,015 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By camilla m

May 22, 2016

excelente material de áudio e escrito!!! Parabéns!!! Estou adorando a riqueza do material!

By Aman A

Apr 11, 2016

a great unique course with exclusive interviews and presenting fantastic artists and works

By Moein B

Mar 27, 2021

During this course, I think I took a new approach to understanding and seeing photography

By Christian G A B

Oct 4, 2019

I love the experience! I have learnt a lot and apply these to my modern photography life!

By Susie B

Mar 18, 2021

I have enjoyed this course enormously and I feel enriched by the knowledge I have gained

By Barbara K

Nov 5, 2020

This was an excellent, fun class. I only wish it was longer or that there was a Part 2.

By joe n p m

Jun 29, 2017

Great course. You will learn lots of things from the very first day. So happy I took it!

By Stefania A

Apr 6, 2017

An interesting experience, stimulating and unmissable. I recommend everyone this course.

By Pedro D A L

Mar 6, 2017

Excellent approach to analytical Photography observation. This Course is a pice of Art.

By sara

Oct 13, 2017

excellent introduction to a critical view on images wit many good examples and artists

By Manuel E

Jul 31, 2016

Excelente. La manera en la que se aprende me gusta mucho, ya que nos hace reflexionar.

By Purnendu

Mar 8, 2016

Amazing so far ! Went ahead and bought a thick book to study more about the subject :)

By Victoria A

Feb 6, 2021

excelente. Increíble la generosidad de MoMA con todo el material que brinda el curso.

By María L F

Jun 30, 2020

Very intelligent curatorial effort and a diverse approach to photography as a medium.

By Stephen D

Jun 29, 2020

An outstanding course. Access to the additional resources is priceless on their own.

By Massimo L

Mar 9, 2016

very interesting!!!

I'm surprised, it's my first course in Coursera and It's very good

By Mario I

Jun 4, 2020

Outstanding, whether you are a novice or experienced- you will gain from this course

By Natasha V

Loved this course! Highly recommended.

Wish there was the next level up to enrol in.

By Daniel L

Jun 27, 2017

Excellent and hardcore course. Train me using new way to see through photograph. Thx

By Alaa z a e f A z

Jun 17, 2016

The effect of this course on Me is amazing , worth going for interesting and great !

By Kamilah H

Jun 1, 2020

Very well put together and easy to understand. Covers a broad spectrum of subjects.

By Erwin S

Nov 28, 2017

Very interesting and delivering new views also on familiar images and photographers

By Helena K

Jan 28, 2019

A beautiful, interesting and inspiring course for all artists and art lovers alike

By Carmen D C P

Nov 16, 2016

Very interesting course. Great for to know photographers of all times and styles.

By Manuel P

Sep 2, 2016

Amazing work. It makes me more open, and no doubt, better photographer. Thank You!