Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

501 - 525 of 1,005 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Gustavo S

Sep 25, 2019

Muy recomendado para contextualizar los conceptos históricos sobre la fotografía

By Panferova E V

Sep 17, 2019

interesting course, and I learned a lot of new information and new photographers

By maria p f c

Mar 6, 2018

I really love this course. I appreciate all the new perspectives thath gives me.

By Brent S

Jun 19, 2016

Excellent course! The quizzes are a bit too hard, but the material is fantastic.

By Rebecca G

May 3, 2016

Interesting subject matter, and important regarding art and history and culture.

By David H

Jun 29, 2020

Curso muy interesante y que te da un nuevo enfoque en el mundo de la fotografía

By Jordan M

Jun 8, 2020

I learned a lot during this cours, I won't look the photographs as before now.

By Breddy J G

Mar 22, 2020

excelente curso, gracias a la prof, y el contenido, gracias por la oportunidad

By Marko P

Jan 13, 2021

Getting the knowledge and view of so many photographers at once is priceless.

By claudio P

Jun 24, 2020

Objective, accessible, democratic and with great content, format and quality.

By Priyanka

Jun 8, 2020

'Seeing through photographs' opened up a whole new world through a fresh lens

By Annika S

Jun 21, 2017

Gave me a greater appreciation, understanding, and foundation of photography.

By Pavlos F

Mar 9, 2016

Τhe training course I was attended was excellent. Waitting for the next one.

By Firman D H

Feb 20, 2021

Very good at studying the history of photography and photographic techniques

By willem h

Jun 19, 2020

Week 06 of the course opened my eyes - never seen photography in that sense.

By Antigoni K

Amazing material, great information sources, really helpful and eye opening!

By Anke W

Apr 23, 2020

A very multi-faceted, varied, and interesting course. Loved every part of it

By Jaume B

Mar 31, 2020

Very interesting course if you want to get deeper on what is the photography

By Oren N

Nov 25, 2019

Very interesting course, lots of useful information and articles. Well made.

By MARIA V T

Jun 26, 2017

Completo, profesional, artístico, humano, totalmente encantada con el curso.

By Howard R

Jul 1, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this trip through several genres of modern photography.

By Ileana Q

Apr 18, 2016

Learned a lot I have a new appreciation for photography and it´s techniques.

By Daniel E

Jul 2, 2020

Excellent course, very helpful, good didactic materials and nice experience

By Diana B

The course is awesome. It is very resourceful and certainly I will be back.

By William W

May 15, 2020

Rigorous in depth exploration of photography - its history, art and impact.