Back to Seeing Through Photographs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Seeing Through Photographs by The Museum of Modern Art

Taking, sharing, and viewing photographs has become second nature for many of us. Given our near-constant engagement with images this course will help you dig into the meaning of pictures and reconsider photography’s role in our visual culture. This course aims to address the gap between seeing and truly understanding photographs by introducing a diversity of ideas, approaches, and technologies that inform their making. In this course you will look closely at 100 photographs from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art, going behind the scenes of the Museum and into artist studios through original films and audio interviews. You will hear a variety of perspectives on the ways photography has been used throughout its 180-year history: as a means of artistic expression, a tool for science and exploration, an instrument of documentation, a way to tell stories and record histories, and a mode of communication and critique. Short texts and readings from MoMA publications provide enhanced context for the works in the course. By enrolling in this course, you’ll join a community of international learners in discussion forums, receive invitations to live and virtual events from our lead instructor Sarah Meister, and gain exclusive access to MoMA resources. UPDATE: We’ve been listening to your feedback! In September 2020, we launched new content in Seeing Through Photographs, including audio interviews with additional contemporary artists from around the world, videos of Sarah introducing key ideas, and almost doubling the number of photographs from the collection. We’ve also added opportunities for you to share and receive feedback on your photographs in the discussion forums....

AQ
Mar 8, 2016

Seeing Through Photographs has given me a whole new way of looking at my own and other peoples' work. So many aspects, details and points of view, the world of photography now seems even more amazing.

TK

Coursera gives me a platform to explore new skills. I was able to experience education from world-renowned universities without losing out on career opportunities.\n\n- Thaneshwary kirupanantharasa -

626 - 650 of 1,000 Reviews for Seeing Through Photographs

By Geir L E

Aug 10, 2018

Thus far, very thought provoking and inspiring.

By Paraskevas V

Nov 10, 2017

Excellent course, very helpful and educational.

By Alessia C

May 25, 2017

Great course, very interesting and stimulating.

By karina t

Mar 8, 2016

Love the texts and how engaging the videos are.

By Ivonne G L

Jul 16, 2020

I really enjoyed this course :) Thank you all!

By Pilar

Jul 11, 2019

Muy buen curso me gustaria hacerlo em español.

By Alejandra Z

Mar 7, 2017

Really enjoyed this course's contents! Thanks!

By Joe A

Dec 26, 2018

Great introduction to the art of photography.

By Hana M

Dec 28, 2017

Eyes opening and awesome. Thank you for this.

By Emily S

Feb 26, 2016

wonderful. thank you so much for offering it!

By Aki N

Aug 19, 2020

A beautiful enriching experience! Thank you!

By Ana M F

Mar 14, 2016

I'm fascinated with all i've learned so far.

By elena G

Mar 28, 2020

Great Experience!!! I 100% recommended it

By Petra R

Dec 17, 2017

I really appreciate this course. Thank you.

By Tommaso D P

Apr 2, 2016

This course was very interesting and useful

By Radu A

Mar 27, 2016

Exceptional, useful, top quality knowledge!

By Monserrat B

Apr 8, 2019

Great course....should give a certificate!

By Mauro A

Nov 13, 2017

A great opportunity to see beyond pictures

By mathew k

Nov 6, 2020

It changed my perspective on photography.

By Silvia M J A

Aug 5, 2020

A great course, excellent study material.

By Michael R H

Dec 22, 2019

Excellent Job! Keep up the Great Work!!!

By Mattia A

Apr 3, 2016

An interesting trip on through the Glass.

By Eva S

Jun 3, 2020

The course was fun and very interesting!

By Gabriele

a very interesting and beautiful course.

By Desiree E

It's a wonderful way to spend your days.