Back to Plant Bioinformatics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Plant Bioinformatics by University of Toronto

The past 15 years have been exciting ones in plant biology. Hundreds of plant genomes have been sequenced, RNA-seq has enabled transcriptome-wide expression profiling, and a proliferation of "-seq"-based methods has permitted protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions to be determined cheaply and in a high-throughput manner. These data sets in turn allow us to generate hypotheses at the click of a mouse. For instance, knowing where and when a gene is expressed can help us narrow down the phenotypic search space when we don't see a phenotype in a gene mutant under "normal" growth conditions. Coexpression analyses and association networks can provide high-quality candidate genes involved in a biological process of interest. Using Gene Ontology enrichment analysis and pathway visualization tools can help us make sense of our own 'omics experiments and answer the question "what processes/pathways are being perturbed in our mutant of interest?" Structure: each of the 6 week hands-on modules consists of a ~2 minute intro, a ~20 minute theory mini-lecture, a 1.5 hour hands-on lab, an optional ~20 minute lab discussion if experiencing difficulties with lab, and a ~2 minute summary. Tools covered: Module 1: GENOMIC DBs / PRECOMPUTED GENE TREES / PROTEIN TOOLS. Araport, TAIR, Gramene, EnsemblPlants Compara, PLAZA; SUBA4 and Cell eFP Browser, 1001 Genomes Browser Module 2: EXPRESSION TOOLS. eFP Browser / eFP-Seq Browser, Araport, Genevestigator, TravaDB, NCBI Genome Data Viewer for exploring RNA-seq data for many plant species other than Arabidopsis, MPSS database for small RNAs Module 3: COEXPRESSION TOOLS. ATTED II, Expression Angler, AraNet, AtCAST2 Module 4: PROMOTER ANALYSIS. Cistome, Athena, ePlant Module 5: GO ENRICHMENT ANALYSIS AND PATHWAY VIZUALIZATION. AgriGO, AmiGO, Classification SuperViewer, TAIR, g:profiler, AraCyc, MapMan (optional: Plant Reactome) Module 6: NETWORK EXPLORATION. Arabidopsis Interactions Viewer 2, ePlant, TF2Network, Virtual Plant, GeneMANIA [Material updated in June 2019]...

QR
Mar 9, 2019

Very good course for mastering bioinformatics skills. Genetics and molecular biology students/professionals should take this course to augment their research skills.

SK
May 5, 2020

In- depth learning of the various tools and softwares available to study plant bioinformatics. Guidance of the author through the labs is insightful and informative.

1 - 25 of 32 Reviews for Plant Bioinformatics

By Ahmad H K

Jul 5, 2020

Overall the course is good. However, lecture should be more in detail.

By QASIM R

Mar 9, 2019

By Fabrício d A S

Nov 8, 2019

Professor Provart is very good and the labs taught us in simple and direct instructions how to perform a wide range of analysis regarding Plant Bioinformatics.

By Danny W

Jan 30, 2019

A really enjoyable and interesting course, well taught. I really enjoyed working through the lab practicals, getting hands on experience with many of the tools used for plant bioinformatics was a good learning exercise. I liked the course presenter too, he was clear and engaging!

By Alvaro L

Jul 4, 2019

El curso es muy interesante y presenta un conjunto de herramientas que son realmente muy útiles a la hora de entender el contexto de las redes de regulación de casi cualquier gen vegetal. Lo recomiendo fuertementes para aquellos que hagan biología molecular vegetal!

By Glenn N

Feb 25, 2020

An excellent class that introduced me to many relevant topics in Plant Bioinformatics. I can now use these skills to not only better understand current research but also apply them to data obtained in the lab where I volunteer.

By DIANEY C C M

Aug 3, 2020

Great course!! I really liked most of the labs and the way the course is organized. Thank you very much to the professor N. Provart and to the University of Toronto

By SHARON K

May 6, 2020

By Lerry D P S

May 23, 2020

I am new in this skills. I am excited because I completed this course. I have new experiences. Thank you. I recommend this course for learn plant bioinformatic.

By Hewan D

I am able to learn the different tools in transcritpom analysis. I become familair with the next generation sequencing technologies too.

By Lucas A C

Jul 31, 2020

Offers very relevant, intuitive and necesary training for the usage of different bioinformatic tools for plant molecular biology.

By Raghavendra G

Jul 31, 2020

Lectures were short, but very informative and the lab exercise helped to explore multiple bioinformatics tools and database.

By Syeda S W

Nov 8, 2020

This course is desingned very well. I have learned a lot about bioinformatic analysis of plants. I recommend this course.

By KAVITHA.A

Nov 3, 2020

An informative course. I gathered practical knowledge about Plant bioinformatic tools and their applications.

By Dr. D D

Sep 27, 2020

Very nice and informative course. I would love to interact with you personally and learn more.

By Sunila H

Jul 13, 2020

excellent resource for various plant based tools to be used in functional genomics studies

By Fariha T

Jul 2, 2020

I have really enjoyed this course. Thank to sir Nicolas for his guide.

By nida f a

Jul 4, 2020

a good course to get you familiar with important signalling pathways

By Anushka B T

Jul 6, 2020

A great platform to learn bioinformatics with clear explanations

By Will H

Feb 12, 2019

Great overview of the different tools available for plant bio

By Daniel B

Jun 28, 2020

I loved it. Thank you very much.

By Achintha E