Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

101 - 113 of 113 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Eva

May 31, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed professor Chamovitz enthousiasm. I now understand some important basics, but I understand I will need to learn a lot more to fully grasp plant biology, techniques for research and applications. This course makes me want to learn more! I hope there will be a follow up course.

By Anita S

Apr 21, 2017

Thank you, Dr. Chamovitz! I enjoyed this course. I did WAPK 1 a few years back as well. Please do create many more courses on plant biology - yours is the only one available on Coursera. Some feedback points: 1) Very little interaction and moderation on the discussion forums. There are many interesting points posted there, but no instructor intervention. 2) After listening to the videos i really did not enjoy the reading material provided - perhaps some other sites would be better. 3) The course syllabus is not enough to gauge whether the course is basic, medium or advanced level. Perhaps an indicator would help. For example, in Week 3 content on photosynthesis I was expecting a much more detailed discussion. It would be great to have more advanced courses from you and your team. Your overview explanations are extremely lucid and the visuals provided really help. I think that very few biology textbooks/reading material provide such a clear overview picture and link across concepts. Excellent course! 4) The concern re. GMOs is just touched upon - in such a case I think it would be good if you could take up specific queries, concerns raised in different countries and share your view on those. For example, Bt Brinjal in India. 5) I love the lab visits! Thank you again for this course!

By Saleem A

Feb 11, 2017

i think this is very good course and the teacher was excellent through out the course

By madhav s

Dec 06, 2016

I would like to thank the course instructor and coursera for such an incredible course . It has truly helped me understand the plants biology and life process.

By SATISH P G

Jan 18, 2018

wonderful teaching and knowledgeable course , thank you !

By Cass G

Jan 29, 2018

I prefered the course "What a plant knows" which was easier for me even if this course is very very interesting.

Thank you very much.

By Zechuan R

May 22, 2018

Good course for plant biology

By April H

Sep 19, 2017

This class is great if you're looking for a fun course, but you won't find it satisfying if you're looking for something rigorous. The online textbook used for most of the readings isn't very well organized and has a tendency to define very simple terms while using but not defining more complex ones. The instructor adds a good amount of information about each week's topic in the video lectures, so they're well worth watching. Sometimes, the week's videos give a clearer understanding of the material than the textbook.

By Shelley M

Sep 18, 2016

Seemed like a good course, however I could not stand this professor's voice so if that doesn't bother you I'm sure it is decent. (it might possibly be the poor audio that is off putting as well)

By Sohaila J

Aug 17, 2017

It was alright but could have been a bit more ordered and informative. Compared to other courses it was a bit short and slightly superficial. Would have been interesting to cover more aspects of plant genetic engineering like photosynthetic enhancement and drought resistance along with other vectors.

By Marcelo d S Z

Aug 21, 2018

Technically excellent and very enjoyable. Although professor Chamovitz is clearly an authority on the subject and a very good teacher, it surprises me how "naive" he appears to be while dissociating (in week 4) the scientific aspect of genetic engineering of its economical motivations.

By Audrey P

Oct 08, 2017

Promoting OGM...

By Julie

Aug 22, 2017

It all was great until he started supporting GMO's. What is this, 2016?