Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

101 - 110 of 110 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Eva

May 31, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed professor Chamovitz enthousiasm. I now understand some important basics, but I understand I will need to learn a lot more to fully grasp plant biology, techniques for research and applications. This course makes me want to learn more! I hope there will be a follow up course.

By Matthew R

Jan 11, 2018

Shorter than some other courses, but very informative and easy to understand!

By John N

Sep 05, 2017

Great introductionary course for basics of Plants Biology. The other Course course from Dean Chamovitz - "What a Plant Knows" is much more interesting, is has 70% of the same knowledge.

By timothy b

May 29, 2017

Very detailed and informative without seeming like schoolwork. I would have given it 5 stars except the GMO lectures were too focused on technology to the exclusion of environmental concerns. Even if GMOs are safe for humans, lab studies are poor predictors of field results. GMOs share many of the problems of invasive species and biological controls. Once released, they require constant monitoring and management, a cost many users are not willing to incur.

By Marcelo d S Z

Aug 21, 2018

Technically excellent and very enjoyable. Although professor Chamovitz is clearly an authority on the subject and a very good teacher, it surprises me how "naive" he appears to be while dissociating (in week 4) the scientific aspect of genetic engineering of its economical motivations.

By April H

Sep 19, 2017

This class is great if you're looking for a fun course, but you won't find it satisfying if you're looking for something rigorous. The online textbook used for most of the readings isn't very well organized and has a tendency to define very simple terms while using but not defining more complex ones. The instructor adds a good amount of information about each week's topic in the video lectures, so they're well worth watching. Sometimes, the week's videos give a clearer understanding of the material than the textbook.

By Sohaila J

Aug 17, 2017

It was alright but could have been a bit more ordered and informative. Compared to other courses it was a bit short and slightly superficial. Would have been interesting to cover more aspects of plant genetic engineering like photosynthetic enhancement and drought resistance along with other vectors.

By Shelley M

Sep 18, 2016

Seemed like a good course, however I could not stand this professor's voice so if that doesn't bother you I'm sure it is decent. (it might possibly be the poor audio that is off putting as well)

By Julie

Aug 22, 2017

It all was great until he started supporting GMO's. What is this, 2016?

By Audrey P