Back to Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors by University of Pennsylvania

What is philosophy? How does it differ from science, religion, and other modes of human discourse? This course traces the origins of philosophy in the Western tradition in the thinkers of Ancient Greece. We begin with the Presocratic natural philosophers who were active in Ionia in the 6th century BCE and are also credited with being the first scientists. Thales, Anaximander, and Anaximines made bold proposals about the ultimate constituents of reality, while Heraclitus insisted that there is an underlying order to the changing world. Parmenides of Elea formulated a powerful objection to all these proposals, while later Greek theorists (such as Anaxagoras and the atomist Democritus) attempted to answer that objection. In fifth-century Athens, Socrates insisted on the importance of the fundamental ethical question—“How shall I live?”—and his pupil, Plato, and Plato’s pupil, Aristotle, developed elaborate philosophical systems to explain the nature of reality, knowledge, and human happiness. After the death of Aristotle, in the Hellenistic period, Epicureans and Stoics developed and transformed that earlier tradition. We will study the major doctrines of all these thinkers. Part I will cover Plato and his predecessors. Part II will cover Aristotle and his successors....

AA

Apr 18, 2020

Excellent course. This course has opened up ancient philosophy to me and made it accessible. I feel I have finished the course a good understanding of such keys texts as Plato's Republic and Timaeus.

NM

Jul 26, 2020

I have never studied Philosophy before at school or on my own, but Professor Meyer made it very clear, interesting and fascinating for me to understand. Following this course has been a pleasure!

151 - 175 of 408 Reviews for Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors

By Abhayo

Apr 11, 2022

Great course and Dr Meyers kept it moving at an adequate pace. Looking forward to her next class covering Aristotle. and

By Robert C C

Apr 1, 2019

Though I don't like doing peer-reviews or peer-reviewed assignments, overall this was an interesting course. Thank you.

By Daniel B

May 4, 2021

Me encantó la forma en la que se presenta el curso y la forma de hacer la última tarea también. Lo recomiendo al 100 %

By David O

Mar 16, 2016

Very good and well presented course. Interesting concepts and materials. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning experience.

By Caroline S

Mar 20, 2021

Very in-depth, while still being concise and easy to understand. Susan Meyer is a great, engaging professor as well.

By Engr H S

Jul 1, 2020

I am very happy about that course so this is first attempt for this kind of university specially from USA, so Cheers

By Wong W W

May 16, 2020

Could add more discussions of modern critics (such as the ones from Kierkegaard) on Platonic writings on Socrates.

By Stefanos M

Jan 17, 2021

Great lecturer with great background for stuff I should be knowing! I will definitely be back in the next course!

By Sylvia H K

Jun 20, 2016

Very fine lectures on Plato and the visions of those philosophers that went before him. I've learned a lot of it.

By Astra A K

Jun 20, 2016

it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!! This was a very well organized, well conceived course, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

By Lisa ( C

Feb 12, 2018

Excellent course. Broken into logical sections with great videos and tests to check your knowledge. Thank you!

By Caroline S d A

May 22, 2020

It was better than I expected. I've learned so much in these weeks and in a very simple way. Thanks Coursera!

By Rabeet T

Jul 9, 2020

Great Explanations! This course really helped me to start reading the original works of ancient philosophers

By Patrick K

Jun 9, 2017

Very enjoyable overview of PreSocratic thought and how it pertains to Plato's own works. Highly recommended!

By Diane N

Mar 6, 2016

Great course for the introduction of Socrates and all of the other great Philosophers, I enjoyed this class.

By Taisa V

Feb 20, 2022

G​reat course. Not very long and covers all the important details. I particularly liked the last assigment.

By Beatriz m d

Jul 14, 2021

Ha sido un curso excelente.No puedo hacer los pares por que no hablo inglés,todo el curso está completado.

By Steven B

Jul 20, 2020

Interesting, but not too involved. One can get through the weeks material in a reasonable amount of time.

By Chew R

Jan 14, 2019

Delivery of course is very clear and concise and had a very enjoyable and insightful learning experience.

By Hila J

Jul 26, 2021

had so much fun learning with the professor and I feel like I've learned a lot. Great job and thank you!

By Benson H

Aug 2, 2018

Beautifully organized, crystal clear, this is a phenomenal introduction to the Pre-Socratics and Plato.

By Andrea V

Dec 18, 2017

Excelente curso. Solo queda agregar la traducción en español y poder bajar las lecciones en pdf o html.

By Ferlin P

Feb 19, 2016

This course does a great job at supplementing my University studies. Really high quality intro content.

By Megan R

Apr 13, 2020

A great introduction of ancient philosophies. I like the instructor's explanations and lecture style.

By Jose A G R

Sep 15, 2017

very helpfull and atractive course, lots of information and access to material to help understand it.