Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

176 - 200 of 508 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Elisabeth S

Dec 30, 2020

Brilliant course! Although it is short and manageable, I feel like I learned a lot. And I feel so much better in general for having deepened my relationship with poetry!

By Jesus J L

Dec 15, 2016

This course was very helpful to me in understanding poetry a little better. The professor was very engaging and I hope he will teach another poetry course in the future.

By nandiya n

Apr 30, 2021

Appreciated the opportunity to take the course. TOTAL. ENJOYMENT.

Wish it were longer -- this is just a wee taste and now am mightily hankering for more.

More please ...

By Hannah G

Mar 4, 2021

I really enjoyed this course all the way through. I learned a lot and will continue to keep challenging myself to write poetry, using what I’ve learned here. Thank you!

By Jayashri R S

Mar 15, 2019

Thank you for introducing me to poetry that I was never aware of before.I thank the mentor and my peers for their constant virtual support.Looking forward to learn more

By Jennifer G

Jun 20, 2020

This poetry workshop really has helped me expanded my poetry skills! Definitely would recommend this course if you’re a beginner or interested more in learning Poetry!

By Cynthia C

May 7, 2016

Thus far, this has been the most enjoyable course that I've taken in Coursera. Thanks, Mr. Kearney and CalArts. I hope you can make Sharpened Visions Parts 2 and 3 :)

By Rashi R S

Jun 10, 2020

In this course, I learnt a lot about poetry and I got to work with many others who were just as keen about it. Moreover, Professor Doug is the coolest professor ever!

By LeAnn S

May 7, 2020

I was very disappointed to receive an 87.5 on my revised last poem. It was partially because I a native English speaker did not understand my images or colloquiums.🙁

By Julie B

Nov 30, 2016

I love poetry but I have to admit that this wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. This was a different kind of poetry and the instructor was kind of odd...in a good way.

By roz h

Jul 5, 2017

I found this course fun, practical and very, very useful. The peer process was excellent and Douglas was thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended.

By Leeland J

Oct 8, 2019

The instructor in very engaging. I am learning poetry to have a stronger understanding of voice and style, and I believe I will get infinity more from this course.

By Zubair F A

Jan 1, 2019

This was a brilliant course. I audited the course with interest, and completed it. It acquainted me with essentials of writing and understanding poetry. Brilliant!

By Arielle M

Such an enjoyable course! Doug is a very enthusiastic professor, and there wasn't a single module or exercise that felt unnecessary or redundant. I learned a lot!

By Jenny R A

Aug 23, 2015

I am loving this course. It opens new stanzas in my psyche! Opens me up to the rhythms of poetry all around. What a great fun and enlightening experience. Thanks!

By Cliff T

Nov 16, 2020

Engaging, fun and thoughtful. The assignments opened my eyes to bits of creativity I didn't know I had and challenged me to work harder to strengthen my poetry.

By Shane A

Mar 20, 2019

Great skill-sharpener for practicing poets and literature teachers. Doug is a very engaging teacher. His selection of poems is thought-provoking and informative.

By Karuna s

Jan 25, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed the course.. By end of course I feel much more confident in writing and up skilled..I have gained more knowledge regarding poetry writing..

By Catherine D

Jul 5, 2017

I've really enjoyed exploring poetry during this course! Ilso feel more confident about the basic terminology of poetry and how to read poems better! Thank you!

By Warren D L

Nov 8, 2019

This course did a wonderful job of introducing me to the basics of poetry. I feel that I have a much better understanding as to how a poem should be structured

By Don P

Sep 13, 2015

Next best thing to a face-to-face seminar: write a new poem to a prompt from Kearns, listen to your classmates' reviews of your poem; revise, revise, revise.

By Herman A

I really enjoyed this course. The instructor is engaging and makes learning poetry, something which I used to find foreign and daunting, fun and accessible.

By Andreas P

Nov 19, 2020

A very interesting course which makes you understand more about poetry.

Also, a lot of new vocabulary to learn especially for non-native English speakers.

By Srushty S

This course had opened many ways for me to look at poems and writings more profoundly. Thank you so much sir and the team from enhancing and helping us. ❤

By Manisha S

Nov 19, 2020

Great course, awesome instructor. Learned a lots of poetry techniques. Recommended to everyone who is interested or want to sharpen their poetry writing.