Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

Jun 23, 2020

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM

Jun 12, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

226 - 250 of 433 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Aug 25, 2018

Interesting, useful and fun course with a unique (actually, unforgettable) instructor presentation style. Thanks :)

By Saul G

Mar 07, 2019

Instructor, Mr.KEARNEY makeS of poetry something so lit. It has awaked the interest for understanding it better.

By Carla G

Sep 26, 2016

This course gave me a better understanding of poetry, the art form. The class is well-structured and well-paced.

By Reuben J

Dec 08, 2017

Extremely useful and well explained for anybody from someone who has never seen the topics to English graduates

By Vladislav L

Nov 24, 2016

An amazing, interesting and very thought-provoking course! Thank you, Douglas Kearney and all fellow students!

By Larry W

Mar 22, 2018

Engaging and informative but not overwhelming. A wonderful introduction to the various components of poetry.

By Gustavo A G A

Aug 28, 2017

Extraordinario maestro. Gran curso. Hace que la poesía sea algo asequible para todos. Altamente recomendable

By Xie W

Mar 10, 2017

It's a lot of fun to study this course, especially the peer review could be very rewarding and entertaining.

By Mariam

Apr 10, 2017

The setup and information provided and partnered with prompts is really helpful in aquiring greater skills.

By Alisha B

Jun 21, 2020

Amazing course! I learned so much about not only writing poetry, but reading it and analyzing. I loved it!

By Mo A

Jun 21, 2020

Doug is a great teacher and I enjoyed his methods a lot. I learned a lot from him. I appreciate it all!

By katie w

Aug 01, 2019

The instructor is great and we get to read some really awesome poetry. The prompts are fun and creative!

By Kamila Ś

Aug 30, 2017

Nice, easy and informative. Enjoyed it very much. Now I'm starting work on my own little book of poetry.

By Deepika S

Jul 11, 2017

Learning a lot of things relevant for this course; I think the peer graded workshop is very helpful too.

By Erin

Mar 07, 2018

This was an entry level course to poetry and I feel like by taking it I have become a much better poet.

By Charlie

Jan 03, 2018

Amazing! An engaging, pleasing, and intelligible (as well as intelligent) instructor—I fully recommend.

By E. S S

Dec 22, 2015

fun and informative class, with interesting exercises, instructor grabs your attention in short videos.

By Usraat

Jun 11, 2020

Beautifully taught. The professor is one of the most enthusiastic educator I have ever come across!

By H K

May 22, 2020

An amazing experience, learned a great deal and I now feel slightly more confident about my poetry.

By bluesnow

Mar 16, 2017

Excellent theory and practise. Entertaining but skilled videos. Good team feeling. Useful feedback.

By Amanda M

Dec 02, 2016

Great course! The videos are fun, and I received a lot of great feedback from my fellow classmates.

By Carmen G

Oct 24, 2015

The classes were interesting and dynamic, very motivating. I learned a lot. Thank you very much !!!

By Alan B

Oct 13, 2015

Great course that is well paced and engagingly taught by someone who loves poetry. Take this class!

By Pooja R

Nov 04, 2019

Doug is so good with poetry and makes each poem come alive, This is such an enriching experience.

By Rula H

Sep 29, 2015

A GREAT COURSE!

Very useful. The presener has absolutely a way with his way of teaching.

Thank you!!