Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

SM
Jun 11, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

VS

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

176 - 200 of 523 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Shelly K

Oct 11, 2020

I got so much out of this class that I never expected. Doug made it fun, interesting, and challenging. I couldn't wait until it was time to get to my class every day. Thank you!

By Zoe C

Oct 28, 2016

Fun and concise bite sized lectures. Challenging yet manageable tasks to complete. If you want to begin to explore the basics of poetry in a fun way, this is the course for you!

By Óscar R

Jun 29, 2020

Excellent Course! I took this course as an introduction, because i really didn't know anything about poetry and now i am interested in learning more and trying to write poems.

By Vinesh B

Aug 16, 2020

Really enjoyed this course along with coursework which involved submitting poems and reviewing other participants' submissions. Very good introduction to the subject matter.

By lisa r

Jun 10, 2016

I loved every part of this course. The tutorials were brilliant, the assignments were fun but the most important thing is that the course made me want to write more poetry.

By Sonali G

Aug 28, 2020

I absolutely loved this course. This course was thorough and designed in a structured way. After finishing this course I am more confident about my work. Fully recommended.

By Rajni M

Nov 16, 2020

Exceptional Course ! Much gratitude to Doug who is a great teacher. The peers enriched the experience too. My pandemic hobby turned out to be a great learning experience.

By Michelle C C

Jan 4, 2019

This course has so much substance in it, very engaging and lively. I loved the way Doug teaches and passes across lessons! Perhaps I should come take a course at CALARTS.

By Karen J

Jan 13, 2017

A very easy yet enlightening course.. Doug is a great professor..funny too! Assignments were very easy and fun to do.. got a lot to learn in a short time... Great course!

By Dan B

Nov 17, 2015

This was an excellent course. The material was relevant, the assignments were meaningful, and the instructor was effective and motivating. I highly recommend this course.

By Elisabeth S

Dec 30, 2020

Brilliant course! Although it is short and manageable, I feel like I learned a lot. And I feel so much better in general for having deepened my relationship with poetry!

By Jesus J L

Dec 15, 2016

This course was very helpful to me in understanding poetry a little better. The professor was very engaging and I hope he will teach another poetry course in the future.

By nandiya n

Apr 30, 2021

Appreciated the opportunity to take the course. TOTAL. ENJOYMENT.

Wish it were longer -- this is just a wee taste and now am mightily hankering for more.

More please ...

By Hannah G

Mar 4, 2021

I really enjoyed this course all the way through. I learned a lot and will continue to keep challenging myself to write poetry, using what I’ve learned here. Thank you!

By Jayashri R S

Mar 15, 2019

Thank you for introducing me to poetry that I was never aware of before.I thank the mentor and my peers for their constant virtual support.Looking forward to learn more

By Jennifer G

Jun 20, 2020

This poetry workshop really has helped me expanded my poetry skills! Definitely would recommend this course if you’re a beginner or interested more in learning Poetry!

By Cynthia C

May 7, 2016

Thus far, this has been the most enjoyable course that I've taken in Coursera. Thanks, Mr. Kearney and CalArts. I hope you can make Sharpened Visions Parts 2 and 3 :)

By Rashi R S

Jun 10, 2020

In this course, I learnt a lot about poetry and I got to work with many others who were just as keen about it. Moreover, Professor Doug is the coolest professor ever!

By LeAnn S

May 7, 2020

I was very disappointed to receive an 87.5 on my revised last poem. It was partially because I a native English speaker did not understand my images or colloquiums.🙁

By Julie B

Nov 30, 2016

I love poetry but I have to admit that this wasn't my cup of tea so to speak. This was a different kind of poetry and the instructor was kind of odd...in a good way.

By roz h

Jul 5, 2017

I found this course fun, practical and very, very useful. The peer process was excellent and Douglas was thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended.

By Emily K

Jun 1, 2021

I enjoyed the diversity of poets included, as well as the excellent writing prompts. I learned some new vocabulary, and I feel my understanding of poetry improved.

By Leeland J

Oct 8, 2019

The instructor in very engaging. I am learning poetry to have a stronger understanding of voice and style, and I believe I will get infinity more from this course.

By Zubair F A

Jan 1, 2019

This was a brilliant course. I audited the course with interest, and completed it. It acquainted me with essentials of writing and understanding poetry. Brilliant!

By Arielle M

Such an enjoyable course! Doug is a very enthusiastic professor, and there wasn't a single module or exercise that felt unnecessary or redundant. I learned a lot!