Back to Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop by California Institute of the Arts

Why just write poems when you can write better ones? This course is built on the notion that the most exciting writing begins after the first draft. It is specifically for folks who believe that writing poems just to express oneself is like using the Internet just for email. After all, poetry can change the way you and your readers think of the world and its inhabitants; it can break new ground for language; turn a blank sheet of paper into a teeming concert of voices and music. Though any of us may have the potential to make that happen, having an understanding of how several tools of poetic composition can be used (and audaciously “mis-used”) gives you more ways to try (and if we do this right, we might surprise ourselves most of all). We'll cover key poetic terms and devices by studying poems by a handful of modern and contemporary poets and then get a chance to try our own hand at writing new poem drafts from a select number of prompts. Throughout the course you will have the opportunity to workshop your poem drafts and get feedback on your work, working towards a more polished poem....

VS

Jun 23, 2020

This was a superb workshop. I enjoyed myself thoroughly and learned a lot that came in my way. Grasping poetry devices taught in such an fun way was really awesome. The mentors were very supportive.

SM

Jun 12, 2020

Loved the course. Douglas Kearney is amazing as an instructor. I love poetry and this workshop has made me happy during the times of COVID 19. I thank CalArts for the encouragement and appreciation.

176 - 200 of 406 Reviews for Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop

By Shirlena R

Sep 03, 2015

Doug is so entertaining. I would probably take any course if he taught it but he made this poetry workshop live for me. I'm better for it.

By Tenzin C

Jun 03, 2020

I took this course with my two kids. We learned a lot about Poetry.

The instructor is fun and upbeat. He made learning very interesting.

By Alicia C

Nov 19, 2018

Loved it! Great teaching, well paced, can't get enough of the transcripts with the videos. Very fun and really pushed me in my craft.

By Maria I M G

Nov 27, 2017

I have learned a lot from this course. Thank you . I wish we could have an advanced level of the workshop. I would definitely take it!

By Stephanie P

Jun 04, 2016

This course was excellent! It really helped me on my journey in poetry appreciation and writing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

By Francisco O

Jul 21, 2020

Excellent program. Wonderfully and entertainingly presented. Plenty of information with use of examples. Much use of peer assessment.

By Sahil J

Apr 19, 2020

Engaging, low-commitment, and genuinely rewarding. An amazing learning experience for neophytes, dabblers, and practiced poets alike.

By Francoise B

Jul 31, 2017

Great course to learn about the basics but also to gain the confidence to write one's own poems. Great professor. I loved the humor.

By Chandrawulan H

May 08, 2017

I enjoyed the experience of learning the step by step of making poem with Coursera. I love the workshop and the prompts given too...

By Meghan G

Aug 04, 2020

I enjoyed this course immensely. The videos were helpful and funny, the material was engaging, and the workshops kept me involved.

By Mandy

Apr 23, 2020

I have written poetry for years, but this course really sharpened my focus and made me rethink the ways in which I express myself

By Linda B

Nov 22, 2016

Engaging course with fun videos. I especially liked the writing prompts. The feedback from my peers on my poems was very helpful.

By Erica G

Sep 22, 2017

The professor of this course is so entertaining and able to express the content of the course in a concise and efficient manner.

By Costas P

Aug 25, 2015

loved the whole experience, there should be a part 2 and when I get paid (and get a good grade) I will purchase the certificate.

By Caryl J C L

Jul 21, 2020

I enjoyed this course! I learned a lot of new things on poetry that have helped me develop a more distinct style in my writing.

By Robert W M

Feb 04, 2018

Extremely well designed course. Would recommend to anyone interested in writing poetry; beginners and experienced poets alike.

By Raymond c

Jan 16, 2018

Well worth it, and the perfect mix of a refresher for forgotten topics as well as a great intro all new techniques and styles.

By Donna C

Jul 16, 2017

Excellent course, especially for those in the beginning stages of their poetry writing. Engaging lectures and fun activities.

By John M G

Nov 10, 2016

Wonderful course which introduces the student to some of the fundametals of poetry writing beyond simply coming up with rhyme!

By Matthias D

Oct 09, 2019

I enjoyed this course

And what a great course it was

Didnt expect such

fun and love when I signed up

No remorse, so do not pause

By Luisa

Sep 03, 2017

I highly recommend this course. The lectures are fun and easy to understand! I wish I could take more courses like this one!

By BISIRIYU O T

Aug 03, 2020

i appreciate my wonderful lecturer you made the lectures very interesting. your actions and hidding for camera is wonderful

By Thendral P

Oct 28, 2016

Doug is so entertaining and a great teacher! The exercises are helpful and the clips are short and easy to watch. Loved it.

By Yvette L

Jun 11, 2016

This was a great course! Very informative and the video lectures were of great interest. I definitely recommend this class.

By Helen C B

Jul 20, 2020

I have found the course very helpful I have enjoyed practising the skills demonstrated and giving and receiving feedback.