Back to Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health by The University of Sydney

In today’s world, mental illness and distress are common and these account for a significant burden of disability within our community. At the same time, there is a growing interest in understanding and enhancing positive mental health and wellbeing; particularly from developments in the fields of positive psychology and mental health promotion. Positive Psychiatry is a new term (Jeste et al 2016) that describes a dual approach to mental health, where we build strengths, supports and healthy lifestyles as well as treating illness and distress. In this course, we will explore different aspects of good mental health as well as provide an overview of the major kinds of mental disorders, their causes, treatments and how to seek help and support. The course will feature a large number of Australian experts in psychiatry, psychology and mental health research, and we will also hear from “lived experience experts”, people who have lived with mental illness, and share their personal stories of recovery. We take an evidence-based approach to a range of strategies that anyone can use to enhance their own mental health and that of others, from exercise and relaxation techniques through to the role of love, relationships and 'good' types of work. We cover topics from creativity and yoga through to psychiatric medications and psychotherapies....

JB
Feb 5, 2019

I learned what expected to learn from this course. I love the presenters and the manner of delivery. Resources abound too. I'm purchasing this course. I hope to meet you, guys in persons. Thank you.

PP
Jul 17, 2020

Excellent course specially in current scenario i.e. Covid 19 situation. This course helped me to understand not only my mental conditions but also my near and dear ones mental health and conditions.

526 - 550 of 606 Reviews for Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health

By BENITO R B

Aug 21, 2018

great

By Mona A A

Jun 26, 2020

GOOD

By Rafael A L

May 13, 2019

Nov 13, 2020

elk

By Jennifer R

Jun 2, 2020

I would encourage everyone to take this course simply because nearly everyone either experiences at some point, or has a loved one who experiences mental health distress. It is a very good basic course about how to promote wellbeing, and the message about how to define "recovery" outside of the clinical sense is important. It also does a good job of addressing the unfortunate stigma surrounding mental health. The first 3 weeks seemed a little slow to me as it is mostly stuff I have heard from other sources and seemed geared more towards general health and dealing with stress and less serious mental illness. The issue of psychotic illness, which was my motivation in taking this course, was not discussed until Week 4. I was hoping for more "positive psychiatry" approaches to help loved ones who live with symptoms of psychosis, but it was hardly addressed. Perhaps that could be a focus for a different MOOC!

By Christine K

Nov 17, 2020

I have gained extensive knowledge of Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health. I would like to thank all those who participated in the creation of this course. My only suggestion would be the technical side; Some of the websites and other resources under essential readings need to be linked together for easy access. The ratings for each module at 25% was a challenge, the first three modules are peer rated and the last is the final. My suggestion would be to put more weight on the exam. Question of fair practice in rating peers. Thank you to the consumers for their honesty and courage by participating in this course, you are an inspiration to others.

By Eleni P

Dec 1, 2019

The course of Positive Psychiatry and Mental Health provided by the University of Sydney is a helpful course for individuals who work in the medical profession and other allied medical professions but for scientific lay people as well. This course gives an insight on how an individual's well-being and mental health can be enhanced through various easy strategies that could be employed in our daily life. In addition, this course is enlightening regarding the various mental illnesses and how individuals who are clinically diagnosed with a mental disorder can become assisted by themselves or others towards their journey to recovery.

By Lynn P D

Oct 13, 2020

Great course. Moved right along. The course supported material I have studied over the past year and gave an "Australian" perspective. I'm from Canada so it was refreshing to see what another Commonwealth country was doing vis a vis mental health. I was very impressed with the set of Australian resources featured and the ease of accessibility. It was great to have such a wide variety of academics and professionals participating. Go Tina! So impressed with Recovery Philosophy and how Tina presented it through her position of Peer Educator as well as through her personal story. Thank you, TIna.

By KIM S

Nov 20, 2019

I learned a lot about what the constructs are within positive psychology. I really enjoyed the guest speakers and the lectures about strengths and happiness. Admittedly the "my story" part of the course was my least favorite and I would have liked it if the assignments could be submitted as an essay and not in little blocks. I would have enjoyed it to have a more academic/research structure in the assignment section as opposed to personal review/take away.

By Abhilash M S

Jun 11, 2018

As I am suffering from a little bit of depression from nearly one year, I ended up taking this course. Though its not the best Scientific Psychiatry based course but it provides large number of tools, techniques & basic understanding of whats happening around. Its a simple yet highly useful course for people who are hunting for some metal peace & everyday based human flourishing.

By Cecilia M

Aug 15, 2020

I found this course very helpful. The reason why I am giving it five stars is because the transcriptions of the videos are full of mistakes. Also, the links to the self-assessments did not work (at least not during the weeks I was taking the MOOC, and I verified this with a couple of colleagues) and I found no way to contact anyone to bring up this issue).

By Bontioti E

May 3, 2020

An overall useful course, well organized and presented. Broadens our knowledge and gives food for thought plus some key issues for further learning. My only disagreement is the grading system. It is nice to get involved into peer reviews BUT a professional/teacher should be the one to decide upon the correct review and the grading.

By Travis M

Oct 4, 2020

Well-designed with lots of good information and references. My only criticism of the course is with regards to the almost total lack of interaction one has with other students. Even the peer-grading scheme is highly impersonal with little to no opportunities for connection or shared learning experiences.

By Diana M

Jul 4, 2020

The course was challenging as I have very little knowledge of the subject and chose it to learn more. As a result, I learned a great deal through the online resources and video lectures. I would recommend the course to anyone interested in the subject of positive psychiatry and mental health.

By Andrea C

Sep 9, 2020

I really didn't like the fact other students were marking my work as I feel I was not properly marked on my last assignment. I spoke about two different topics and was marked as I only had one topic. one marker said I didn't have two topics and I did, so it's a bit frustrating.

By Alex R

Aug 29, 2020

Excellent quality video lectures and readings. Loved the content and found it very practical. I didn't like how some of the questionnaires during the video lectures marked incorrect responses as correct. The format of the page where you submit assignments is not very intuitive.

By Sarah A

Oct 20, 2019

I found this course extremely beneficial and totally worth it. The way it was designed to cover all the essential parts in positive psychiatry was perfectly put.

I think it should be a compulsory to any manager or leader to take it and add it to their degrees and courses.

By Sheema S

May 1, 2018

Great foundational course for an overview of discourses in the field of Mental Health and the growing field of positive psychiatry. Course material and supplementary reading lists were very informative and easy to follow. Learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it!

By Rachel B

Aug 3, 2017

I thought this course was very helpful and contained some great info. The only issue I had was that I completed a few of the exercises like the questionnaires and they wouldn't come up as completed. However as I was still able to com

By Andres J

The course was amazing, it helps to someone who is having troubles in life. However, sometimes the course goes so deep in some topics, that for someone who is not professional in the subjects could be a bit difficult to understand.

By Kamlavathi R

Sep 23, 2020

This course has been a great help to me in providing deep insight into Mental health and taught me about the ways to deal with mental health issues. The content is really informative and the resources provided are excellent!

By John M

Oct 13, 2019

this course taught me a lot about myself and how mental health is important for everyone. I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to educate themselves around mental health, wellbeing and the art of Happiness

By Robert C

Nov 25, 2020

An excellent course. Very well structured and expertly presented. Great essential and further reading lists. I would have given five stars, but felt the 'peer marking' element was not taken very seriously by some learners.

By N A

Jul 25, 2020

A Content oriented course and testing assessments and assignments are application based and trustworthy. It is more helpful me for my further learning and researches in the field of Educational Psychology.