Back to Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to incorporate resilience interventions into your personal and professional life with Dr. Karen Reivich. In this course, you are exposed to the foundational research in resilience, including protective factors such as mental agility and optimism. Several types of resilience interventions are explored including cognitive strategies; strategies to manage anxiety and increase positive emotions such as gratitude; and a critical relationship enhancement skill. Throughout the course, you will hear examples of individuals using resilience skills in their personal and professional lives. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science, Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions and Positive Psychology: Character, Grit & Research Methods....

ZM

Sep 24, 2018

Excellent! There was some common sense here, but plenty of new data and tools anyone can use in both their personal and professional life. A must for every human who wants to get the most out of life.

NJ

Nov 03, 2018

Very useful course in building up resilience. Will take time to work on these skills but this course gives a good grounding by providing lots of helpful guidance and tips. So glad I did this course.

51 - 75 of 297 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

By Robin G

Apr 02, 2019

My graduate degree at Penn was in Adult Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Over many years of practice I thought I new a great deal about resilience, cognitive distortions and methods to help thinking and behavior become healthier and more satisfying.

While there was some review, I learned so much from the content and the way this course was presented. I absolutely loved Karen's style, how she taught this material and her wonderful anecdotes. I so appreciated the range of application of resilience especially Lucy's heartbreaking loss her sweet girl and family friends. A lot to take in but such an powerful example of resilience in the most difficult of times.

I also learned so much about myself and how I think in certain circumstances. I am an optimist and gratitude is my second character strength. I plan to continue to grow these and help my students do the same. Thank you for the opportunity to take this course. It really was a gift.

Robin Ritchings Gutmann

By Dr. M A A

Apr 03, 2019

It was an excellent course! I enjoyed the videos, reading the online context, and also reading the book, The Resilience Factor. Also, I enjoyed the online discussion sessions and reading what other online students were experiencing and thinking, thus sharing and learning even more. I thought the multiple choice questions were excellent, challenging, and pointing me into the right direction as I analyzed each question and multiple choice answers. I thought it was an excellent exercise in thinking. The groups of factors involved in different sections of the course really pointed out to me some very important and basic analyses and how to resolve them in systematic order by starting with challenging my impulsive thoughts or the five thinking traps, and also the four steps to resolution, plus how to apply my character strengths. I really liked that latter aspect very much. I feel I am a much stronger person now, that I have a better understanding why we falter in not being resilient or resilient enough, and to be able to help myself and also help others around us to become more resilient. The course inspired me enough, as it probably did for many of us, if not all, to look more into myself to be a more resilient person, and to better affect others around me in being so; and to review periodically, so that I am at top notch! All in all, I feel that I am now a more complete and valuable person, my self-esteem has been raised because I can be more understanding and in better control of situations arising, and, as a result of all of this, I can be a better and more giving person.

By Sharon B

Apr 04, 2019

Great content, great instructor - clear, interesting to listen to, good pace. Appreciate the information and the chance to participate!!

By Tiara D

Apr 05, 2019

I have participated in a few live resilience classes. This has been the most relevant class, and by far, the best. I appreciate hearing the evidence based rationale through the videos and the self reflection exercises did not feel forced. I wish you the best as you evolve the program.

By Sean R

Apr 06, 2019

This was a wonderful class. Simply fascinating. I will definitely continue to use the teachings in my daily life.

By Melody J

Apr 06, 2019

I really enjoyed the class, the skills taught, the book. Karen was a great instructor, open, honest and vulnerable which really contributed to my understanding and learning.

By Angelo I

Apr 06, 2019

Great course. Deepened my understanding of resilience and positive psychology and provided practical tips that I can use with coaching clients. Karen was very personable (as were her colleagues). I feel like I know her well as a result.

By Baraka S

Apr 06, 2019

Extremely relevant course. Both the book and the lectures are interesting at all points. I will be sharing what I've learned with students with whom I interact.

By Kristine A

Mar 28, 2019

This opportunity was a true gift - in more ways than one! The curriculum design was thoughtfully organized and presented from an end-user's perspective. The instructor was clear, engaging and motivating; the speakers and other related videos and exercises reinforced learning and realtime application of the concepts. The curriculum content was incredibly valuable for me personally -- and I can see the immediate application and ongoing building.

By SILVIA C R

Apr 09, 2019

Great MOOC full of useful skills for life. Very interesting and easy to follow up. I strongly recommend it.

It is a real privilege to have access to the best teachers and communicators and among all Karen has been a wonderful teacher, thank you very much,

By Ketti M

Feb 18, 2019

Life changing!

By Sean W

Jan 26, 2019

Brilliant course on a great topic. Well presented and very usefull

By Víctor O

Jul 10, 2018

This MOOC, together with the other 4 MOOC of Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania, changed my life. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless whether you are interested or not in psychology.

By Kim Y B

Jul 12, 2018

So far this has been a great course and I look forward to learning more about Resilience.

By Lien C

Jul 13, 2018

Loved this course. Completely relevant and applicable to both personal and professional world. I can't wait to share and practice this on a daily basis.

By Lucas D P

Jul 13, 2018

An inspiring course that teaches skills that can be used immediately to increase resilience in several ways.

By Christina B

Jul 17, 2018

Excellent course. It was easy to relate to the professor; the material was well organized; the coursework was relevant and clear; the supplemental readings added to the depth of knowledge. My favorite in the positive psychology series offered through Wharton.

By Tamara B M

Jul 19, 2018

From the four courses I have taken so far this one resonated with me and makes me thing that resilience training might be what my next career should be. Really enjoyed Karen Reivich. Related to her story and she was so honest and open about her own struggles and triumphs it was inspiring to be part of this course.

By Brian M

Jul 22, 2018

Best of the 5 courses in this program!

By Ana M

Jul 26, 2018

Muy buen curso, estoy feliz aprendiendo nuevos elementos teóricos que enriquece mi vida profesional

By karen

Jul 30, 2018

I loved this course!

By Lydia O

Jul 29, 2018

Really interesting material. What could have been dry scientific discussion was made interesting through tasks and discussion queues that required self reflection.

By Marcelo C A G

Oct 25, 2017

It's a wonderful course! You can learn how to be a positive person, it that incluides many skills and hidden skills that you don't know that you have! and finally you can improve your own life and to be a better human being with the society.

By Adriana Z

Sep 27, 2017

It was amazing! I learnt a lot of tools and strategies to improve my resilience skills. THANK YOU!

By Ana S