Back to Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science by University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman—renowned worldwide as the “father of Positive Psychology”—has led visionary leaps in the scientific research, empirical data and personal understandings of human flourishing. This course explores the past, present and future of positive psychology as a journey through the key scientific leaps led by Dr. Seligman and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania's Positive Psychology Center and Master of Applied Positive Psychology program. There are no prerequisites....

JK
May 5, 2021

This is not a course for educational purposes only. This course will change the way you look at yourself and your relationship with society forever. Take it, and encourage your friends to do the same.

RS
Dec 8, 2017

Very self-enhancing. Activities are fun and at the same time a good avenue for learning experiences. Very positive and student engaging. Thank you for giving me the chance to be part of this course =)

26 - 50 of 1,559 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

By Matheus P

Feb 28, 2020

Excellent and succint explanation of the history, objectives, trends and branches of Positive Psychology. And to learn with the man himself and other leading researchers is a one-of-a-kind experience.

By Micah K

Oct 31, 2017

As an introduction to positive psychology, the course material did seem a bit random. The topics covered were certainly interesting, but as they exclusively reflected the interests and activities of Marty Seligman and his Post-Docs at UPenn, the course provided a somewhat skewed sample of information that was a bit odd to present in an introductory course. Also many of the technical details were off. Quiz questions were repeated, sections of videos were cut off at random, and the time estimates were often way off. Having said all of that, I did learn a lot!

By Leslie K

Feb 13, 2021

I am so grateful to be able to hear about this research from the founder of the field and those colleagues who are engaged in taking the field forward into the future. I wish that the readings had been more substantial (even if they were optional) and I wish that there were more exercise to do. This was an interesting overview of the state of the field, but the readings were journalistic and surface level.

By Ernie D

Jun 2, 2020

The course is an easy introduction to positive psychology. I found the addition of post-doc and experts to be disjointed and that they could have been introduced better. Context as to why these experts were part of the course would help. I also feel the course lacked an overall structure, power point slides, and more good quiz questions. The activities were helpful and I have incorporated them into my life.

By Yashowardhan C

Aug 24, 2017

The course was way too basic.

Maybe, few more papers, names of books, articles could be shared.

I was specially bored of Constructive Journalism and Spirituality bit.

I loved all of Seligman's sessions, Big data in Psychology, Resilience and Open Experience bits.

May be include more Profs in the course - Barbara Fredrickson, Tal Ben-Shahar, Shaun Achor, Angela Duckworth and the like.

By Amy K

Oct 12, 2017

The first two weeks were excellent because they provided valuable information about the basic concepts of Positive Psychology. As the course continued, I felt it moved away from these basics into related topics that themselves could be specific courses. Additionally, we heard from other speakers but I wanted my teacher to be primarily Martin Seligman.

By Courbe M N

Jan 22, 2021

A bit too much of Seligman's person, I was here in this class to learning how positive psychology could be useful and if I get some informations i got more on the professor studies than in the current fields of positive psychology. In someway and ads for his books and to congrats the university

By Subhasis C

Mar 25, 2018

My rating is not for the course but the course price. I had to pay for the entire specialisation to just take this one course. Dr. Seligman should see that his course at least here, is affordable. That would be philanthropy and not force people to pay for the entire specialisation.

By Matthew W

Dec 17, 2018

Easy to follow, but did stray into the theological space in the end. Overall, I would recommend this course if you are looking for a broad summary of the topic. Seligman is certainly vibrant and engaging, the other presenters less so.

By Janis F

Sep 13, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and consider it a good induction to Positive Psychology. It has given me the foundation and interest to pursue further studies and I am particularly interested in the research.

By Jim T

Feb 11, 2020

Really good beginning, but then kind of veered off into tangents. Would have preferred a deeper dive into the practices, research, and applications of Positive Psychology in a therapeutic setting.

By Marie H B

Jun 27, 2020

I did not receive the support that I required .I believe that the course and the quizzes were translated in French . It is taking me too long to even follow a module .

By Kim

Jan 4, 2021

very shallow content, seems to me like he is just trying to show off how great he is. It's a pain to listen to Seligman, though the other lecturers are great

By María B U

Aug 24, 2019

I think you need more practical information and not so much theorical information, also i would like better use of the audiovisual ressources.

By Steven F

Apr 8, 2019

Technical issues, and listening to Dr. Seligman gurgle were the problems that I had in this course. If worked out, I would give it a five.

By Sonya C

Feb 18, 2020

I enjoyed the content but really want to know HOW to implement things like learned optimism and mindfulness.

By Jacques B C I

Jan 1, 2020

The Instructor seemed very knowledgeable in the course materials. But this course was way over my head.

By Vladimir H

Nov 22, 2019

This course is more an advertisement to Positive psychology.. No practical methods are thought..

By Ahmed A M

Jul 28, 2019

There was a lot of repetition among the speakers on what they covered in their section.

By Dominik W

Sep 2, 2018

Starts good ends rather, well, boring

By Paula C M d C

Jun 10, 2019

I's a bit slow

By Betania G

Aug 1, 2017

The first couple lectures were interesting. I had a hard time listening and reading the remainder ones due to being too technical and not as interesting for my field. I am interested in learning practical interventions that I can utilize with my clients. I had difficulties paying attention to some of the lessons due to being not as practical to my client as I expected (information that I did not find it applied to help my clients due to being too theoretical and out of scope).

By Andrew B

Apr 30, 2017

I honestly thought this course was all over the place and too general. It also seemed to be full of self - congratulations about what UPENN has accomplished with its research. I wanted more depth in a more targeted approach to improving my life.

By Guilherme S B

Sep 17, 2017

I think it would be better to go deeper on the PERMA. The "RMA part" was lacking in my opinion. But the VIA survey and the Positive Journalism (I prefer the term Constructive Journalism) was ok for me.

By Devon M P

Mar 22, 2020

I dropped this class because it was too self-reflective. I wanted to learn the subject, not analyze myself.