Back to Introduction to Power Electronics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Power Electronics by University of Colorado Boulder

This course can also be taken for academic credit as ECEA 5700, part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree. This course introduces the basic concepts of switched-mode converter circuits for controlling and converting electrical power with high efficiency. Principles of converter circuit analysis are introduced, and are developed for finding the steady state voltages, current, and efficiency of power converters. Assignments include simulation of a dc-dc converter, analysis of an inverting dc-dc converter, and modeling and efficiency analysis of an electric vehicle system and of a USB power regulator. After completing this course, you will: ● Understand what a switched-mode converter is and its basic operating principles ● Be able to solve for the steady-state voltages and currents of step-down, step-up, inverting, and other power converters ● Know how to derive an averaged equivalent circuit model and solve for the converter efficiency A basic understanding of electrical circuit analysis is an assumed prerequisite for this course....

SA

Aug 01, 2017

This course sets the groundwork for more advanced concepts in Power Electronics. The Professor was very explicit and the homework assignments were of a good strength to help ground the notions learnt.

SH

Sep 23, 2017

I am very please of with course but i also want the course of power electronics related to any field i mean in FACTS devices applications so we can learn more related to new emerging technologies .

426 - 450 of 525 Reviews for Introduction to Power Electronics

By Hans J D

Jan 19, 2017

By Arifa K A Q

Feb 15, 2020

The course was enjoyable and informative. The lectures were clear and easy to understand. The assignments were challenging but were majorly based on what was explained in the lecture videos. There were a few things that required extra study but it added to the challenge of the course.

The deadlines, however, were very hard to keep up. The assignments required quite a bit of time which was not factored into the hours of study required. That can be a bit misleading.

Also, there wasn't a lot of help available in the discussion forums and the questions often went unanswered which a a big downside especially when it came to doubts and questions.

Overall, the course was good as an introduction and very informative.

By Navneet K

Jun 13, 2020

Course content was very good and the instructor made it enough simple to understand. Even the quizzes were well-crafted and questions made us to think and understand more. But I am not happy with the way quiz answers are judged, especially the questions where we need to enter an expression. The simplification of an answer differs from person to person and the extent one simplifies an expression is important and unique for the answer which are assigned correct. Most of the times my answers were right but had to juggle them to find the right combination, which took so much time for each question and assignment. If Coursera can do something towards this, it would be much helpful in future.

By Mason G

Aug 06, 2017

This introductory course was very difficult, yet well worth the effort in retrospect. The time commitment was vastly underestimated; the last two homework assignments required 8-10 hours of work each. I would have appreciated more relevant example problems directly related to the assignments, which were much more advanced that the lectures. Thankfully I purchased the recommended course textbook, which did help. There were several issues with the web based platform, relating to rounding accuracy and data entry problems. Luckily Coursera allows one to submit as many attempts as possible. Cheers!

By Andre A M

Feb 15, 2016

Pretty solid course for an online format. Solid grader and I enjoy how you can input derived equations in the homeworks that makes it feel more brick and mortar class. This beats other class approaches I have used in other platforms that use peer grading. Very comprehensible introduction and a satisfying course. I wish the course work was a bit more challenging. I know this is difficult in an online format (1st offering?) but when I compare this homework to their actual class websites (for on-campus students), it is obvious this online format was given the "easier" problems to solve.

By Mark S

Dec 09, 2018

I enjoyed the course and I learned a lot from it in spite of the fact I've been designing DC/DC converters for decades. The only reason I with-held one star is because I had a lot of trouble with the quizzes due to the case-sensitivity of the formula answers coupled with the inconsistency of case. For example, in Ch 3, Problem 10, you use use VT for the IGBT saturation voltage and Vd for the diode forward voltage. If you use Vt and/or VD, you get the dreaded giant red X.

By alexandra k

Apr 30, 2020

Cool course! Took some time to go through the problems and really understand the material, but I feel like it's very useful. My one complaint is there is no correspondence from the professor and there is no answer key, so when an answer is wrong, that's it, you don't know how to solve the problem or understand what you did wrong. I will still continue to take the following sections for the power electronics track on Coursera. Thank you.

By Michael

Jun 14, 2016

The course materials and the topic of interest is fantastic. Dr. Erickson does a great job explaining the fundamentals of power switching technologies and the homework greatly tests a participants knowledge of the subject matter and forces the user to really digest the material. My only critique is I wish the homework solutions would be shared after the homework due dates so that one could learn from

By Mr. G M

Jun 28, 2020

The course gives good insight into the fundamentals and design of the converters.But i personally feel we need to work and struggle to complete the course.I got some problems when downloading the files of converters using LT spice and there is no help from the instructors after posting in the discussion forum.The course is really difficult and average students should rethink before taking this course

By Aalap S

Aug 08, 2020

Good course, very knowledgeable instructor (he literally wrote the book on power electronics)! The course itself does not serve as a complete introduction to power electronics, since some basic topics (such as power transistor types) are not even talked about. But further courses in this specialization seem to cover those areas, so the course fits well as a part of a specialization.

By Wesley L

Nov 17, 2019

Information taught in lectures was great. However, I feel the homework grading method could be improved. Since we get unlimited attempts, I wish our correct answers would be saved so we don't have to re-enter them during our second attempt. Maybe instead of having the submit button turn-in all answers, there can be a submit button for each individual question to lock in the answer.

By Alex V

Dec 16, 2019

I found the course to be very well presented and structured. Focused content on key principles and techniques, with good reinforcement homework problems. I especially appreciate the auto-grading with allowable retries - the most learning was from correcting my mistakes. I only wish solutions were available for all of the textbook problems, not just some of them.

By Paul G

Feb 22, 2016

Well done in terms of mathematical rigor and explaining the basics. One critique that I have is that there isn't enough time spent on intuition around the circuits. For instance, how does the buck converter work from a more qualitative standpoint? Easy to look up online, I understand, but the professor is excellent and I would benefit from his perspective.

By priyanka k

Thank You for such a wonderful courses. This courses is good , knowledgeable , good explanation. I learned new concept from this course. From this courses i came to know that what all things I need to brushup for my master's degree. Assignment is a bit difficult and over all stuff is good . Thank you so much.

By Rafat A

May 13, 2019

the solution for numerical question were hard because of .1 % barrier and . the answer once entered correct the database should keep that result to reduce re entry of correct answers. add more exmple so that student can do more practice before attending assignment.

By Thierry G

Feb 04, 2018

Excellent introduction to the analysis of switched systems. The explanations and examples are very clearly explained.

The only drawback to this course is that it takes a lot of trying around to get used to enter the formulas into the system for the homework

By ABHIJIT S

Jul 28, 2020

It is really a nice course, the quizzes were challenging, which was nice, but it would been more helpful if proper support were provided by the mentors when someone gets stuck in a problem and the course forum are disappointing.

By Meinardo A R

Jun 24, 2016

I would like to receive feedback about my wrong answers after I approve the course. I really would like to know what were the correct answers.

I think that this is really important because I can learn of my mistakes.

By Guillaume V

Apr 02, 2017

This course was quite easy.

The exercises are interesting, given with their full solution.

I think your need Pr. Erickson's book to follow the course.

Thanks to the University of Colorado Boulder.

By Muhammad A

Jul 02, 2017

The course is outstanding and designed in a very professional manner. This course can be made more better for students by including answers of problems and making forum more responsive.

By tokgozfurkan

Jul 31, 2020

Homework were tedius. Even if you knew the course subject, it is very easy to make mistakes on numerical questions. I think you should increase the 0.1% error margin to a higher value.

By Veda N

Jul 27, 2020

It would have been better if there was an option to discuss the assignments after submission. I found the discussion forum less useful.

But overall the course was really helpful.

By Samuel C

Mar 22, 2020

A good introduction to switching converters. There are thoroughly worked out examples to make the coursework accessible to students who are willing to put in the time.