Back to Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Graphic Design by University of Colorado Boulder

Welcome to Graphic Design, the second course in the Effective Communications Specialization. Over 70 different companies have provided this specialization to their employees as a resource for internal professional development. Why? Because employers know that effective visual communication is the key to attracting an audience, building a relationship, and closing the sale. This practical course gives you the tools to create professional looking PowerPoints, reports, resumes, and presentations. Using a set of best practices refined through years of experience, you’ll: • make your work look fresh and inspired. • apply simple design “tricks” to begin any project with confidence and professionalism. • receive and respond to criticism and revise your project from good to great. "This course is fantastic. It teaches a great amount of starter graphic design information but it is broken down into easily understood videos and quizzes. The quality was top notch and the interaction was as good as you would get in a brick and mortar school. I did not feel like I was missing anything by taking it online." - a recent Graphic Design student All of the course assignments can be completed with basic presentation software such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides, or Apple Keynote. You’ll also have opportunities to explore and apply more sophisticated tools, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. This course can be taken for academic credit as part of CU Boulder’s Master of Science in Data Science (MS-DS) degree offered on the Coursera platform. The MS-DS is an interdisciplinary degree that brings together faculty from CU Boulder’s departments of Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Science, and others. With performance-based admissions and no application process, the MS-DS is ideal for individuals with a broad range of undergraduate education and/or professional experience in computer science, information science, mathematics, and statistics. Learn more about the MS-DS program at https://www.coursera.org/degrees/master-of-science-data-science-boulder....

RC

May 13, 2020

I think that the discussions would be more useful if students had detailed instructions on how to create the images in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint and then take a screenshot to make a jpeg image.

DC

Apr 10, 2020

I loved it its not on photoshop or any application but on the practicality on how to use everything is any design related work or medium

got to learn on maybe new minute things I used to ignore

51 - 75 of 660 Reviews for Graphic Design

By HILARY H

Exceptional course indeed. An very informative and amazing course that i can used as professional working adults. To Mr Dave Underwood together with Dr Quetin McAdrew and Wilian Kuskin, you guys done an amazing course to us. Thank you

Best Regards

Hilary Hiew

22 June 2020

Malaysia.

By Anne-Laure D

Jul 31, 2017

Just great! It's so simple it seems obvious, yet it's very profound and I will need months of design work before I can start to master everything I learned. Thanks a lot for this great mooc. I will never make slides, documents or websites as I did. Now I will try and design them!

By Thomas U

Feb 8, 2021

This is a real brilliant course in order to get a feeling how professionals approach a project. It is amazing that there are procedures and rules in place which in fact support the creativity but as well the clarity of the presentation. Really an amazing experience! Thank you!

By Abhishek K

Jan 13, 2020

Thanks to Dave for creating this course,making it look so simple. Before this course i had no fundamental understanding of graphic design,but Dave's course helped me find a new perspective, and now i am curious about designing templates for my new project.Thanks a lot Dave!!

By Balamutharasi S

Oct 12, 2020

This course is entirely different from others. here I learned about how to design rather than the things in the software. I feel thankful to the instructors and the Coursera for giving me an opportunity to get a piece of knowledge from experienced designer David Underwood.

By Matt R

Mar 16, 2021

Excellent course. The format is great and the teachers communicate really well. I am professional designer, but never got a degree or had any formal training, so this was an excellent way to get some history and tried-and-true techniques under my belt. Highly recommended!

By Daniel M

Dec 9, 2019

I found exactly what I was looking for, an introductory course to graphic design with challenging and intelligent assignments for students who, like myself, are interested in discovering this mysterious and exciting world. Thank you for your work and I wish you the best.

By Narender J

Apr 27, 2018

Though this course was completely new and unexplored for me but I learned a lot to look at things with different angle. I learned many professional skills required for effective design and making stuffs more commanding. Thanks a lot to the resource persons and classmates

By Aman S

Jun 6, 2020

Great learning and very useful training session. This will not only enhance my skills but make me more confident in professional world. Creating something that helps somebody is the motivation I get from this training, without compromising with Graphic design ethics.

By VinitKadam

It was an amazing experience! I just loved it and I would highly recommend to all people out there those who want to learn this graphic design course.

Thank You David Sir! The teaching skills and the way of speaking all of it just crazy!

Once Again Thank you David Sir!

By Michael K

Apr 24, 2017

David Underwood's Graphic Design course instructs learners on the industry's best design practices. It is a great course for both the novice with an interest in graphic design as well as experts who want to brush up on their design vocabulary and techniques.

By Geoff C

Oct 12, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lecturer (Dave Underwood) has a relaxed and engaging style. He made it interesting and I felt I've learnt quite a bit in a short space of time. Recommend doing the optional exercises to practice what you learn as you go.

By Faisal R

Apr 27, 2020

This course is designed in a very successful manner i would say . It simplifies several basic and essential topics framing , scaffolding , typography , colors ; regarding graphic design for the learner groups . I appreciate the efforts very much .

By Kateryna S

May 17, 2019

great course that will give you basic understanding of graphic design principles. A lot of practice! This course is not difficult but gives good basic knowledge of creating posters, marketing materials and other visual art on professional level.

By Ghimel E

Oct 10, 2020

I learned to look for designs in a deeper perspective. Able to know what is good or bad, how to make my own designs, skills and practices that I should do while making designs. As well as to judge design.

A great course especially for beginners.

By VEMULURI S 1

For a beginner like me it has invoked a sense of curiosity to take this subject seriously and dwell deep and continue further.Thank you Coursera for making these courses free during pandemic time it is helping us to be focused and staying sane.

By Iván V E F

Nov 22, 2021

This course taught me the elements I lacked once I completed digital design course long ago, those elements are like a complement for my path to design better.

In a future, will be useful to attract social media posts and website to my niche.

By Alexandra W

Dec 4, 2017

Great course! So much fun, so many small projects and discussion prompts. I had a great time doing them and actually getting an opportunity to teach myself photoshop along the way. I very much enjoyed this course. Thank you so much David!!

By Elisangela M d C

Dec 11, 2017

This is an excellent course for those who need to improve their visual communication. The concepts are taught in a simple way and the suggested activities help in learning the content. Very important knowledge for any area of activity.

By Gian G

Nov 27, 2017

Dave has such obvious passion for design, and it shows here in his comprehensive and enjoyable course. Highly recommend this to beginners like me who want to know the principles of what makes a design good -- or bad. Thank you, Dave!

By Md H R H

Jul 26, 2020

Excellent Experience. I have learned many things that was unknown to me in Graphic Design sector.

Thank you so much David Underwood, Coursera and Bangladesh Computer Council to giving me the chance like this course.

Thanks again.

By Paco M

May 4, 2017

The course is amazing and very thorough. It takes you through concepts, techniques, and terminology that make you design and lay things out better. The instructions are simple, the activities practical, and the lessons valuable.

By 027 R W M

Nov 17, 2020

I really learned a lot about basics and principles of Graphic Designing. Even if we didn't work with softwares, we got the ideas and inspiration to work on our projects.This is really a great course to learn Graphic Design.

By Ma. R G

Oct 19, 2020

I learned a lot from this course! It's my first time taking an online lesson and it is almost the same when learning something from an actual classroom. It was explained well in a summarized form so it's easy to understand.

By Retha'a A

Aug 5, 2019

انها دورة رائعة تعلمت فيها أساسيات التصميم الجيد والمميز وتعلمت كيفية اختيار الخط المناسب والألوان المناسبة ومهارات اخرى مثل القص والتكرار والفراغ السلبي وأهمية استخدام الشبكة وكيفية البدء والتفكير واستحضار الالهام لعمل جيد