Back to Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Graphic Design by University of Colorado Boulder

Welcome to Graphic Design, the second course in the Effective Communications Specialization. Over 70 different companies have provided this specialization to their employees as a resource for internal professional development. Why? Because employers know that effective visual communication is the key to attracting an audience, building a relationship, and closing the sale. This practical course gives you the tools to create professional looking Powerpoints, reports, resumes, and presentations.. Using a set of best practices refined through years of experience, you’ll: • make your work look fresh and inspired. • apply simple design “tricks” to begin any project with confidence and professionalism. • receive and respond to criticism and revise your project from good to great. "This course is fantastic. It teaches a great amount of starter graphic design information but it is broken down into easily understood videos and quizzes. The quality was top notch and the interaction was as good as you would get in a brick and mortar school. I did not feel like I was missing anything by taking it online." - a recent Graphic Design student All of the course assignments can be completed with basic presentation software such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides, or Apple Keynote. You’ll also have opportunities to explore and apply more sophisticated tools, such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign....

NS

Oct 23, 2016

i will definitely recommend this course not only to those interested in graphic design but also to those who have to make simple power point presentations. you will find the tips very useful!

CO

Jan 16, 2018

There were a lot of design elements thought were irrelevant, now i know better. This course made graphic design limitless. It also show me how to do more and appreciate everything visible

1 - 25 of 173 Reviews for Graphic Design

By Frank B

Aug 27, 2017

My opinion is divided about this part of the course. I have worked as an editor for 20 years and I was dealing with print design for a decade. Therefor, I am not new to the topic of graphic design.

On the one hand, I have learned a lot about graphic design in this course. I wish I had seen David's explanations at the beginning of my apprenticeship. My worked would have been improved significantly.

Especially, as I haven't usually done the design of the newspapers I have worked for myself. After finishing David's course, I see the faults of "professional" designers. They have build the grid and developed the design of many papers I wrote for and that I did the typesetting for. And they sometimes did a very bad job (somebody should have told them to "design, don't decorate" a couple of times).

On the other hand, even having worked in the business, some parts of the course have been too detailed in my opinion (e.g. different families of typefaces).

Moreover, the introduction is pure ex-cathedra teaching.

After that you dive deep into design and layout. I picture myself being new to the matter, having to learn about the software you need, the usage of photos, colours, negative space etc.

If you are able to see this course as an opportunity to get a lot of information and pick some insights of it yourself, it's worth participating. But if you try to fulfil the tasks in good or excellent quality, it's quite a challenge.

Non the less, I have enjoyed (and finished) the course and learned a lot.

By Norb

Jun 25, 2017

I love this course. It showed me the basics and fundamentals for graphic design. The professor is great, he knows how to explain each concept. Great experience overall. Thank you!

By Christina Y T

Jan 27, 2019

I learned a lot of basic design principals that I think will be very helpful.

By Leonardo A E M

Bom curso!

By Muhammad H

Mar 05, 2019

Really Best Course

By Shyam P

Mar 17, 2019

Great course, to the point and focused on the very basic yet important element of graphic design. I use these skills on a day to day communications.

By Sidra A

Dec 10, 2018

very satisfying experience

By Mohamed Y M

Dec 28, 2018

BEST COURSE EVER HAD THANKS LECTURERS AND ALSO WHO OTHERS WHO APPEARS THIS COURSE IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED I LOVE EASY AND EXPLAINING

By Karina D S

Mar 31, 2019

Excellent - learned a lot and am very thankful for the clarity and depth of messages that the teachers transmitted. Well done team!

By Dhananjay S

Apr 09, 2019

This course helped me to gain a lot of knowledge that I never knew.

By Thomas B

Jan 24, 2019

The course was very inspirational and teached me a lot about the scaffolding of presentations. I already achieved some accomplishments at work while using what I have learned. I also appreciated the recommendation to use different programs like adobe photoshop. I had no experience with it, but got quite comfortable during the process creating the different posters. Keep up with the great work - I enjoyed it a lot!

By Micaa Y

Dec 11, 2018

I love this course, make me realize a lot of things to get into knowledge, love the teachers, they explains like the best of them and gave you a lot of advises! Super recommended

By Hassan A

Dec 13, 2018

It's Very Nice and useful Course

By Dario S

Jan 27, 2019

great videos, great knowledge. It helped me so much of understanding design better and also helped my creative side a lot.

By Liliana S

Jul 05, 2018

A good course

By GOPINATH G

Jul 27, 2018

For Presentation is good and easy to understand

By Chrystal B

Jul 29, 2018

Educational and practical, learned a lot from this one.

By Anne-Laure D

Jul 31, 2017

Just great! It's so simple it seems obvious, yet it's very profound and I will need months of design work before I can start to master everything I learned. Thanks a lot for this great mooc. I will never make slides, documents or websites as I did. Now I will try and design them!

By Eduardo M G

Feb 08, 2017

Great course, i really enjoyed it

By Geoff C

Oct 12, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The lecturer (Dave Underwood) has a relaxed and engaging style. He made it interesting and I felt I've learnt quite a bit in a short space of time. Recommend doing the optional exercises to practice what you learn as you go.

By Petro Y

Mar 25, 2018

Was very cool course! A lot of useful information!

By 戚兆禹