Back to Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making by University of California, Irvine

Critical thinking – the application of scientific methods and logical reasoning to problems and decisions – is the foundation of effective problem solving and decision making. Critical thinking enables us to avoid common obstacles, test our beliefs and assumptions, and correct distortions in our thought processes. Gain confidence in assessing problems accurately, evaluating alternative solutions, and anticipating likely risks. Learn how to use analysis, synthesis, and positive inquiry to address individual and organizational problems and develop the critical thinking skills needed in today’s turbulent times. Using case studies and situations encountered by class members, explore successful models and proven methods that are readily transferable on-the-job. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Choose and apply appropriate problem solving and decision making processes and methods 2. Identify common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making 3. Recognize the human variable in problem solving and decision making 4. Assess major conceptual blocks and significant situational challenges 5. Apply concepts to enhancing personal development and organizational performance 6. Explain the key elements of problem solving and decision making and the barriers associated with them...

KG
Sep 5, 2020

A very informative and easy course. I loved studying it, the professor was very well versed and delivered the lectures in a way so that students find it easy to understand the text and context.

S
Feb 5, 2021

A concise and informative course. The course consolidates my fundamental knowledge about the different components and concepts of problem-solving and decision-making. I really learned a lot.

26 - 50 of 802 Reviews for Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making

By Melissa O

I found Rob Stone to be a very easy teacher to follow. The class was designed well and made it easy for me to understand how to use data and charts to make decisions in business!

By Nadiya D

Sep 12, 2015

Great course. Easy to follow and use the concepts in real world instantly. Course covers not only problem-solving but also change management.

By Maria S

Helpful course

By Luisa M O

Dec 11, 2018

Great course. I liked that He goes straight to the point, I wish the course could have more practical exercises.

By Adithya K

Apr 30, 2020

I think the only issue with this course is that it is a little misleading. When a course is included as a part of professional development, you assume a certain type of course when this course is not that at all. To be fair, this course is effective at showing how organizations make decisions and tools organizations use to diagnose problems, but the course really fails to show how to effectively scale the tools introduced can be scaled down for individual decision making.

The other big issue that this course has is the dryness of the info within the course. Honestly, if you replaced this course with a couple hours on Wikipedia looking at different types of charts. There is something to be said about the structure of a MOOC that may make you choose this over browsing wikipedia because it helps you retain the info, but honestly the info you get from this course really is not that substantial in the least. I would recommend this course if you are a small business owner or a business student looking for a primer on how organizations make decisions, but outside of those two groups of people, I think you are likely better off skipping this course and opting for something else.

By Bloch E

Jan 31, 2016

Too base for experienced people, not enough fundamental for beginners.

After 2 weeks didn't find any useful information, it also very boring, so recommend to see video on 1.25 -1.5 speed.

The course need to be significantly changed:

1. Who are the target audience

2. How many resources do we have (time etc)

3. What we would see as a result of course (knowledge, skills (hard, soft)

etc.

By Milind J

Jun 11, 2020

Problem solving is an analytical process used to identify the possible solutions to the situation at hand. Making decisions is a part of problem solving. Problem solving is a complex process, and judgement calls – or decisions – will have to be made on the way. Decision making is a choice made by using one's judgement. It was explained very well, I really enjoy it.

By SERVAZ, B C (

Feb 6, 2021

By Asegun B S

Sep 6, 2020

This course has opened my mind to how to the techniques used to make better decisions and solving complex problems.

I have learnt a great deal. Thanks to the facilitators!

By SSEMBATYA E

Sep 2, 2020

Every thing is fine , attractive and educative as well.

By DHRUV V

Sep 2, 2020

Well Taught. Very interesting topiv.

By MD A R A

Sep 4, 2020

Excellent !!!

By V D

good

By KARANGWA P

Dec 7, 2020

Problem solving is an analytical process used to identify the possible solutions to the situation at hand. Making decisions is a part of problem solving. Problem solving is a complex process, and judgement calls or decisions will have to be made on the way. Decision making is a choice made by using one's judgement. Good problem solvers are good thinkers.

They usually see problems as challenges and life experiences and try to stand above them, objectively. Good problem solvers use a combination of intuition and logic to come up with their solutions.

By Borislav A

Aug 21, 2020

Disappointing materials and read through videos. The examples are stated in a non professional level. As a person who is used to take notes to get the essence of a video it was very disappointing

At least there should be a reference literature attached to this "course". I do not think anyone can gain any value out from this

By Katarzyna B

Jun 14, 2021

Very basic course, which did not really cover problem solving tactics at all. Instead the modules take you through very basic statistical tools and group management. Content was very repetitive with long and unnecessary stories as the examples. Overall I would not recommend.

By Mansour A

Oct 22, 2020

This course has nothing to do with problem solving. It talks about statistics and different chart types and their usefulness. It does not give any insight on how to think or steps to find a problem or it's solution !

By Lluis C

Jun 21, 2016

I'm sorry to say this Course is really boring, poor in resources and I'm sorry to say this but it's the worse Coursera Course I've attended .

By Shloka J

Jun 27, 2020

Loads of examples were provided throughout for helping us understand the course material. Enjoyed this method of learning because it's fun yet allows us to better follow what is being taught!

Definitely recommend this course to anyone who is indecisive for the most part and wants to learn how to actually do something about it so that you can make decisions easier.

Thank You! :)

By Abdullah S

Feb 28, 2021

This course helped me to shape my learnings in problem solving & decision making. Its created in such a way to complete in short time but covering entire aspects of data analysis, Control Charts & arriving decisions from the data. Really helpful course and enjoyed the lecture of Mr.Rob Stone.

By Balasubramanian

Nov 11, 2020

Amazing course, it boost me to take a best decision making in a analytical way . Thank you for Professor Rob Stone from California university to teach well about Effective problem solving and Decision making.

Thank you.

Balasubramanian DAE, B.Tech. ( Production Engineer)

Tamilnadu ( India)

By GianpieroL

Apr 7, 2016

I really enjoyed attending this course. It focuses on what is necessary (it goes directly to the point) and gives many useful techniques, which can be immediately used. It also offers also clear examples, which make easy to understand how to use these techniques properly.

By Nicole G

Oct 30, 2015

I enjoyed how this class was presented. I think it would have beneficial to have more examples of Run Charts vs Control Charts to high light why each one was useful in multiple ways. Over all the course was useful for me and I will apply the knowledge I learned.

By Khandaker M A

Aug 8, 2020

The course is well-designed & well-executed. Dr.Stone explained the steps of Effective Problem-Solving & Decision-Making pretty well. I wish the content to become more detail-oriented than it is now. Still I would recommend everyone to do this course.

By Mustafa A

Oct 31, 2020

Rob's course design and delivery were both excellent. His tone of voice, examples given for each item, and the overall order of the course were very professional. I benefited a lot from the course, hope to apply some of the ideas in my organisation.