Back to Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making by University of California, Irvine

4.4

Critical thinking – the application of scientific methods and logical reasoning to problems and decisions – is the foundation of effective problem solving and decision making. Critical thinking enables us to avoid common obstacles, test our beliefs and assumptions, and correct distortions in our thought processes. Gain confidence in assessing problems accurately, evaluating alternative solutions, and anticipating likely risks. Learn how to use analysis, synthesis, and positive inquiry to address individual and organizational problems and develop the critical thinking skills needed in today’s turbulent times. Using case studies and situations encountered by class members, explore successful models and proven methods that are readily transferable on-the-job. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Choose and apply appropriate problem solving and decision making processes and methods 2. Identify common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making 3. Recognize the human variable in problem solving and decision making 4. Assess major conceptual blocks and significant situational challenges 5. Apply concepts to enhancing personal development and organizational performance 6. Explain the key elements of problem solving and decision making and the barriers associated with them...

KG

Sep 06, 2020

A very informative and easy course. I loved studying it, the professor was very well versed and delivered the lectures in a way so that students find it easy to understand the text and context.

NJ

Jun 25, 2020

The Training course was very attractive and valuable for implementation of the knowledge gain for solving of different problem faced in official works as well as personal responsibilities.

26 - 50 of 621 Reviews for Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making

By Maria S

Helpful course

By Luisa M O

Dec 12, 2018

Great course. I liked that He goes straight to the point, I wish the course could have more practical exercises.

By Adithya K

Apr 30, 2020

I think the only issue with this course is that it is a little misleading. When a course is included as a part of professional development, you assume a certain type of course when this course is not that at all. To be fair, this course is effective at showing how organizations make decisions and tools organizations use to diagnose problems, but the course really fails to show how to effectively scale the tools introduced can be scaled down for individual decision making.

The other big issue that this course has is the dryness of the info within the course. Honestly, if you replaced this course with a couple hours on Wikipedia looking at different types of charts. There is something to be said about the structure of a MOOC that may make you choose this over browsing wikipedia because it helps you retain the info, but honestly the info you get from this course really is not that substantial in the least. I would recommend this course if you are a small business owner or a business student looking for a primer on how organizations make decisions, but outside of those two groups of people, I think you are likely better off skipping this course and opting for something else.

By Milind J

Jun 12, 2020

Problem solving is an analytical process used to identify the possible solutions to the situation at hand. Making decisions is a part of problem solving. Problem solving is a complex process, and judgement calls – or decisions – will have to be made on the way. Decision making is a choice made by using one's judgement. It was explained very well, I really enjoy it.

By KHUSHI G

By Asegun B S

Sep 06, 2020

This course has opened my mind to how to the techniques used to make better decisions and solving complex problems.

I have learnt a great deal. Thanks to the facilitators!

By SSEMBATYA E

Sep 02, 2020

Every thing is fine , attractive and educative as well.

By DHRUV V

Sep 02, 2020

Well Taught. Very interesting topiv.

By MD A R A

Sep 05, 2020

Excellent !!!

By V D

good

By Bloch E

Jan 31, 2016

Too base for experienced people, not enough fundamental for beginners.

After 2 weeks didn't find any useful information, it also very boring, so recommend to see video on 1.25 -1.5 speed.

The course need to be significantly changed:

1. Who are the target audience

2. How many resources do we have (time etc)

3. What we would see as a result of course (knowledge, skills (hard, soft)

etc.

By Lluis C

Jun 21, 2016

I'm sorry to say this Course is really boring, poor in resources and I'm sorry to say this but it's the worse Coursera Course I've attended .

By Shloka J

Jun 27, 2020

Loads of examples were provided throughout for helping us understand the course material. Enjoyed this method of learning because it's fun yet allows us to better follow what is being taught!

Definitely recommend this course to anyone who is indecisive for the most part and wants to learn how to actually do something about it so that you can make decisions easier.

Thank You! :)

By GianpieroL

Apr 07, 2016

I really enjoyed attending this course. It focuses on what is necessary (it goes directly to the point) and gives many useful techniques, which can be immediately used. It also offers also clear examples, which make easy to understand how to use these techniques properly.

By Nicole G

Oct 31, 2015

I enjoyed how this class was presented. I think it would have beneficial to have more examples of Run Charts vs Control Charts to high light why each one was useful in multiple ways. Over all the course was useful for me and I will apply the knowledge I learned.

By Khandaker M A

Aug 08, 2020

The course is well-designed & well-executed. Dr.Stone explained the steps of Effective Problem-Solving & Decision-Making pretty well. I wish the content to become more detail-oriented than it is now. Still I would recommend everyone to do this course.

By Nippa E

Feb 18, 2020

I really enjoyed Professor Stone's class. I found his lectures both engaging and informative. I appreciated that he provided both visual and narrative examples in his course. I found it to be extremely effective. Thanks for a great course!

By Ramkrishna R

Jul 19, 2020

Effective course on personal development. I have learnt a lot and enjoyed so much. We, who are in dilemma to take the decision, can develope ourselves by this course. Thanks a lot to the authority providing such kind of course.

By Sheri L

Aug 31, 2015

This was a great experience for me; to take a class that was challenging, but without any added stress. This professor was a joy to listen to and the class is one I can use both personally & maybe someday, professionally.

By Siddhi W

Now that was an amazing course applicable to both professional and personal life. Moreover, irrespective of which industry/domain/position you are at, this course has some great inputs for everyone! Thank you Rob.

By Nurgul

May 13, 2018

Спасибо огромное за данный курс. Очень понравился. Лектор замечательный, подача материала прекрасная, тесты адекватные (если освоил тему, сдаешь без труда). Расширила свои знания и кругозор!

By Mario J R M

Mar 31, 2017

Effective Problem-Solving and Decision-Making

Congratulations on the platform

Congratulations on the administrative order of the course

Congratulations on the Success of the Course

By Julián V A

Apr 13, 2020

Is a very basic course, nonetheless an excellent introduction to problem-solving & decision making! A good glance with nice and interesting examples! Love the History quotes!

By Tomeu M

Apr 11, 2020

This course reinforces the way of thinking when a problem has to be solved or a decision has to be made. Good explanations and useful tools given by the professor.

By Mina H I

Jun 27, 2020

It's a very effective course for people who are in leadership positions, the materials were excellent and the professor explained the topics with clear examples.