Back to The Art of Music Production

The Art of Music Production, Berklee College of Music

About this Course

Explore the art of record production and how to make recordings that other people will love listening to. This course will teach you how to make emotionally moving recordings on almost any recording equipment, including your phone or laptop. The emphasis is on mastering tangible artistic concepts; the gear you use is up to you. You will learn to develop the most important tool in the recording studio: your ears. You will learn to enhance every aspect of your own productions, both sonically and musically, by employing deeper listening skills. Assignments will include posting your own recordings for peer review, and reviewing your classmates’ work by employing specific tools and strategies. If you use a digital audio workstation to record and mix, that’s great, but as long as you can record into your computer and post an MP3, you can complete the assignments. As you learn about the art of record production in this 4-week course, you will also learn about yourself and who you are as an artist and producer. It is not necessary that you read music or play an instrument to take this course....

By BD

Aug 22, 2018

Really enjoyed this and got a lot out of it.\n\nGreat curriculum, great delivery. Meaningful assignments, great community. Highly recommend if you want to reflect on and hone your artistic vision.

By SP

Apr 14, 2017

This course helped me a lot improve my listening abilities, and let go my musical prejudices. I think this course is great for anyone who wishes to improve their skills as a musician or producer.

230 Reviews

By Marcos Fajardo

Jan 05, 2019

Es un excelente curso

By Egor Osokin

Dec 25, 2018

Very good course which makes you think about music as a way to convey emotions and thoughts, not just notes and harmonics. Would recommend it a lot for people who have some experience at creating music.

By Yelyzaveta Kryvoruchkina

Dec 17, 2018

Stephen is so kind, intelligent and talanted tutor. He gave us cool examples of everything, it was easy to understand the course.

By Diogo Alves Gouveia

Dec 14, 2018

A good course, though introductory and basic. It gives you great insights into the process of composition, production and post-production, and also give you some really helpful tools.

By Chris McDaniel

Dec 13, 2018

Excellent! Congratulations to Coursera and Berklee for bringing us these practical tips that surpassed my expectations really worth it and I will share with everyone this great content.

By Thomas Charles Layne

Dec 04, 2018

I didn't think it would be that helpful, but it really gave me the tools to think about what and how I am doing what I am doing.

By Slavko Bucifal

Nov 19, 2018

Very informative. Good tutorials and instruction. It was helpful to refine skills and learn new ones.

By 刘敏翘

Nov 18, 2018

Thanks a lot! It's a good start!

By Denis Mwangi

Nov 16, 2018

I just love how this course opened my eyes and ears to Music production basics. Been searching the internet especially YouTube but here lies the answers. And its enjoyable. All the material is relevant.

By Ivan Felipe Sotone de Souza

Nov 13, 2018

Desculpa pela demora para a avaliação, mas o curso é sim muito bom.