Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

OU

Mar 27, 2018

This is absolutely worth everything that I invested into this course. And I do not mind studying it all over again! I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn project management. Thank you Margaret.

251 - 275 of 1,537 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Amoko D

Oct 31, 2016

this is an awesome course. not so lengthy yet filled with enough details. i love the quizzes, makes the course challenging.

By Patricia W

Aug 08, 2016

A lot of information in this course but a good structure to get the information into "makes sense now" after weekly review.

By Renee D

Mar 09, 2016

This instructor is one of the best! I have learned more in her online courses than any in-class instruction. Thanks much.

By Phillip Z

Jan 09, 2019

Overall I liked the course a lot. It was a nice mixture of course materials combined with real life stories. Thanks a lot!

By Chetzi M C

May 26, 2018

Learned so much. Once I find a position, I can really honed in on my learning and apply to projects I may have to manage.

By SAJU D

May 07, 2017

The course was short and simple to understand, I used this to affirm and strengthen my understanding of Project Management

By jean d j l

Sep 11, 2015

Very good courses, it is practical and clear. Everyone should have taking a such courses, because it is in every day life.

By Mohammad A

Jan 08, 2020

It was very supportive education part for one who wants project management carrier.

For the beginners it must be achieved.

By Teresa B

Feb 01, 2019

This course prepares you for what to expect before jumping into a new direction. It's well laid out and easy to navigate.

By Ms. M T K N

May 20, 2018

The instructor is really good at explaining the concepts. I like the interview with the projects. It's worth learning it.

By Alan D M

Feb 08, 2016

An excellent introduction with material, such as the stakeholder register, that helped me with my own project right away.

By Martha E D L R P

Aug 10, 2019

Great way to have an insight of what a project manager does and how it needs to be done. It's process, process, process.

By Sneha H V

Jul 19, 2017

The course is very helpful. A confidence booster. I loved the video lectures! Going to sign up for the next one as well.

By Fiador B

Nov 13, 2016

It's been awesome learning through this medium , i must say the mode of delivery was excellent. Thanks so much Coursera.

By Christian T

Jan 09, 2020

Amazing instructor, clear concise layout, and amazing content throughout! I look forward to more courses like this one!

By Pamela W G

Sep 05, 2019

The lectures are very good and informative. I feel I will be a better project manager after completing the full course.

By Karena A

Jul 23, 2017

This course presents an organized and well presented overview of the principale and requirements of project management.

By Dasom K

May 27, 2019

It was satisfactory to sort out the concepts so that I could understand them and keep showing the reference materials.

By abdirahman M M

Feb 09, 2019

i am very comfortable with the course, let us say thank you to everyone supported the course.

am242@students.kiron.ngo

By Seham K

Jan 28, 2018

Great course. Pay close attention to the written materials delivered, they are the basis of all quizzes and the exams.

By Suren T

Feb 19, 2017

Great introduction to project management terminology and processes! Looking forward to the rest of the specialization.

By Daniel d S F

Nov 12, 2016

Very good course, a great opportunity to begin in project management area or to improve the knowledge about the field.

By Cicero I B D

Oct 09, 2016

I really enjoyed it. It is very flexible (time wise) and the teacher has a lot of experience that she shares with us.

By ENDALE T G

Feb 02, 2020

The way the course materials are prepared and the course was given helped me understand the course relatively easily.

By Angela S

Jan 23, 2019

Instructor was phenomenal. Great distribution on topics ... made it comfortable to continue my learning and progress.