Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

OU

Mar 27, 2018

This is absolutely worth everything that I invested into this course. And I do not mind studying it all over again! I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn project management. Thank you Margaret.

26 - 50 of 2,027 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Andrea G

Dec 16, 2016

This course was very informative and new to me. At first I thought it was going to be a great challenge because it was different, but after reading the PMBOK and doing the required quizzes I got a better understanding of what I was doing. I was able to mirror what I was learning to things I encountered daily while working at the construction company and this provided a great point of reference and made it all seem real. I will definately be completing the full course available. Happy that I attempted this and enjoyed doing it..

By G V

This course is unique way to improve professional skills to imbibe the basic contents of project management for professional development of Young project managers. Especially I would like to thank Margaret Maloney ,Course instructor for her patience and simple language to explain and make understand each and every phase in project planning and also thanks for the panellist interview with

Marty Wartenberg ,Neil Sahota ,Karen Nguyen for sharing their experiences.

By Jennifer D S

May 04, 2016

Amazing in it's simplicity! It allowed me to understand the core concepts of Project Management without all the fluff that exists in some on campus courses. Truly designed with the professional in mind. Quick, simple, comprehensive, all with a very professional appearance. I especially appreciated the real life examples and the case studies Melonie presented. They really helped me better understand the principles she was trying to explain.

By Tamrat W

Mar 20, 2017

I have been working in various indigenous and international based Humanitarian community development projects for over ten years. Working in these organization has given me the opportunity to attend training organized both at home and international levels. compare to all training I attended, I found yours really exciting and helpful to person like me who have ambitions to enrage in project planning,design and implementation.

By Ying L

Nov 25, 2015

Love the Bonus video part of the course! The course has a simple structure and helps you work through the key factors in Project Management efficiently. I recently began to work on a project. With the ios App and self-paced course, I can learn the course while I am commuting between work and home in one week. I plan to work on stakeholder registry and WBS with team members to bring the concepts into practice. Big applause to Meloni!

By Smit P

Nov 23, 2019

A good course .

I am pursuing my bachelor's in Computer Science and this is my first course in PMP and hence find it very informative from my perspective since I don't have any prior knowledge of Project Management .

Very informative , Lot of material for reading is provided with good examples for application of the knowledge.

I guess most the CS or Engineering students would find it Very informative . It is Worth taking the Course

By Dana S

Sep 22, 2017

I have attended a few project management online courses and most of the time, the material is being presented in attached, theoretical form that you spend most of your time trying to stay interested. However this course presented interesting topics in a way that is relatable and understandable . I am invested because Ms. Meloni gave her real life experiences, showing the importance of the material to success. Thank you

By Bernard D V

Jan 16, 2018

First course of the specialisation "Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization".

You will learn the basis of a project, how to manage stakeholders, what is a project charter,...

It's a great course about project management. It's a 6 week duration but you will work less than 2 hours a week.

I recommend this course if you are ready to do all the specialisation because doing this course only makes no sense.

By Steven G

Jan 10, 2017

Excellent course! Very well organized and great integration with the reading material. In particular I found the workload and learning material easily digestible as a full-time working professional. Ms. Meloni is fantastic at communicating the critical elements of project management academic material while simultaneously integrating the curriculum with 'real-world' situations. Well worth the money and the brainpower!

By Burcu G

Apr 12, 2019

Comparing the other courses, this course is very accurate and target-specific. It helped me to understand the project management theoretically and also made me realize how challenging it is by the real examples. I loved all parts but my favorite part is the week 6 which includes the panelists, because they are the real mentors for a new beginner project manager. I am thankful for this course.

By Farah

Mar 29, 2016

a big WOW to Margaret Meloni's style of instructions!

I've tried taking a few online project management course but lost the interest half way, I am determined to complete this one,due to her simple approach of explaining the concepts related,very clear and precise.

My understanding about the project management gets better after listening to her lectures.

Keep up the good work!

By Nzan P E

Feb 16, 2020

This was very comprehensive and easy to understand with tasks and exercises that was very helpful in implementing every knowledge gained per modules.

The program manager did a good job in breaking it into smaller units/modules for proper understanding. I strongly recommend you take this course if you interested in starting or growing a career in project management.

By jimoh m

May 23, 2020

Great course to learn online for every individual aimed in becoming a successful Project Manager in the construction industry, public and private sector, and organization. I really love and enjoyed my period of learning this course with my Instructor Margaret Meloni, MBA, PMP. Though it requires time, dedication, and commitment. So i have earned my certificate.

By Khurram A

Oct 01, 2015

Excellent course, especially for project managers like me, who have not had a formal training of project management. This course showed me several ways to do things in project planning that I have been doing the same way over the years. It has also impressed upon me, the importance of getting formal education/training to get to a higher level of understanding.

By WatsonWang

Apr 26, 2020

It is a great online course. Although I am not an English speaker, nor having any experiences about initiating and planning project, now I have general ideas about what it is about. The lessons are not too hard to understand but at the same time, they are challenge enough for a beginner like me. So, thank you, UCI, for creating this online course.

By Bill

May 05, 2017

This was an exceptional overview of project management, with a lot of information that was very well presented. I look forward towards finishing this specialization. I took a year long project management program with Boston University and this specialization from UC Irvine is a excellent review of that material. I highly recommend this course.

By Anton D

Oct 15, 2015

The course is a fantastic refresher on basic principles of Project Management. Margaret Meloni presents material in an engaging format. In fact you can see her wealth of experience shine throughout the whole course. Case studies and panel interviews also did add a bit of 'practical' flavour to PMBOK fundamentals. Recommended by a Project Manager!

By Sandeep S

Mar 31, 2020

This was first course with the organization, having 20yrs above experience in the industry. Planned to upgrade my knowledge skills seeking your help. Well must say morale is boosted & feel quite motivated for having learnt the strategic ways of engagement which were missed so far in my role towards the organization working for. Thanking you.

By Amos S U

Jan 28, 2019

This course is highly recommended to all those doing and planning to make projects.

The knowledge and skills in this course can make someone to make and have a successful project.

Great thanks goes to An instructor and the coursera supporters for enabling me to attain these skills and knowledge.

99% are applicable for a successful project.

By Asha S

It was an amazing experience learning about projects. This course has helped me understand various ways in which organisations can work. It has also provided me with knowledge to manage human resources. Overall, its a good course for the beginners to get the basics. Thank You to the whole team for University of California, Irvine.

By Alexandra-Veronica T

Apr 24, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. I liked how it was structured and the duration of each video. I was able to take this online class during my work schedule, because it did not impact my program. I enjoyed a lot professor Margaret Meloni and the way she delivered her speeches. She inspired me on how to deliver my own speeche

By Yohan S

Jun 02, 2016

Great course. Gave me a good overview, actually more than an overview, of project management. Lecture was to the point and easy to understand. Lessons were presented in a very informative and logical manner. I really enjoyed the video tips at the end of each lesson and the panelist discussion in the last lesson.

By Gregory M

Dec 03, 2017

This course was an excellent introduction to Project Management. The material was well laid out and the pace was good. I recommend that any one challenging the course obtain a copy of the PBOK guide, for the recommended readings. You can successfully complete the course with out it but I found it added depth.

Apr 14, 2016

I found this course to be invigorating, knowledgeable, and relevant. I am very happy I took it. I will be able to immediately use the skills I learned. I hope to learn as much in the next course leading to my goal to a specialization. Thanks for all the support, and making my time here worth all the effort.

By Kenneth L

Mar 22, 2016

This is a well written course, the video lessons are very helpful. Because of Coursera.org, I have improved my knowledge and understanding of project management 100%. This is a big help on my job, thank you so much. Since I am working, being able to stop and come back to finish the lesson is a huge benefit.