Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

OU

Mar 27, 2018

This is absolutely worth everything that I invested into this course. And I do not mind studying it all over again! I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn project management. Thank you Margaret.

51 - 75 of 1,493 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Simwero J

Oct 26, 2017

Wow! what an experience! The course was so informative, it has ignited my appetite and I'm now thirsting for more and more of such learning. The professor was very excellent in her delivery of the content, I enjoyed the course all the way to the end. Thanks for the opportunity

By Franck

Jun 08, 2016

I just audited this course for free to acquire some additional knowledge about project management. The course is easy to follow, well written, and I enjoyed it. The author gives valuable information about the PMP certification, if this is something that you intend to pursue.

By Erica K

Jun 23, 2016

Informative yet easy for the layperson to understand, this course felt like a great in-depth look at the first two process groups of project management. I feel like I have gained useful skills for a future career in this field and will be continuing with the specialization.

By Thierry C

Dec 04, 2018

This course has helped me better understand the field of project management. I have now a very good grasp of the project cycle and have been introduced to the PMBOK. the instructor was friendly and has wonderful pedagogical approach. I strongly recommend this course.

By Ann M D

Sep 02, 2019

Great introduction to project management! Videos were easy to follow - delivering real life examples of the challenges within project management! The best part was the tools to help you get the job done! Thank you! Thank you! Will be following up on the next course!

By Deborah L

May 08, 2018

It's a very good course, that focus on the essential in the videos and provide a lot of detailed and useful information in the material. The bonus videos bring additional insights that are relevant and which you would think as "I could use that" in real situations.

By Greta K

Nov 13, 2017

The form of knowledge stimulation is very well organised throughout this course. I am highly satisfied with the materials, as well as applications. What I highly value is the presence of real situations, which stimulate the implications of the given information.

By Kayla K

Mar 12, 2019

Great course! I am going over project management in a grad course now and had no true background in it. This course allowed me to go into that class with some understanding of the terminology being used and that helped me participate in group discussions.

By Ibrahim L H

Jan 10, 2017

Great beginner's course that fills you in on all the essentials of initiating and planning projects. Once you have passed it, you are more than able to initiate and plan a wide range of small projects and get hands-on experience in project management.

By Gary D

Feb 16, 2017

Very well explained. Gave me an knowledge for tools and better understanding how to clearly communicate roles and responsibilities. Great course for someone that has children and work to give a chance to better there selves professionally. Thank you.

By Jennifer R

Nov 23, 2016

Great course and I like the lecture videos as it helped to humanize some of the material and make it easy to grasp and remember. There was a lot of great information with links to outside and external information to further your learning experience.

By Engr. H U R

Mar 02, 2017

Its the most practical oriented study programs, i ever have studies in my life. I would suggest, that if you really want to polish your skills. Come here and learn through these well-know universities, experienced instructors and interactive forums.

By alexandre C

Jun 22, 2016

Thanks to this cours, you will act more confidently in your business, you will use professionnal tools and knowledge. So you will bring security. This tool will change your life because you will do it your way but in a manner understood and shared.

By Omar A A

Feb 23, 2016

This is a good approach on learning the PMBOK guide, gives you the perfect insight on how to stud the guide. Explained everything in an easy manner with good exposure by using different live examples. Easy way to achieve the PDU's for the PMP exam.

By Mugdha P

Mar 13, 2019

concise and clear way of teaching. Best regards to the UCI team for putting up this amazing and esaily understandable version. Its easier to read the guide now for details which would ot have been possibe without the video lessons & bonus sessions

By Sagar D

Jan 24, 2018

Excellent course! The instructor is very knowledgeable and she exactly knew what she was teaching. I recommend students taking this course. The course has lot of helpful materials that will help you build a concrete Project Management foundation.

By Senia K

Oct 10, 2016

Very good course for a beginner. I feel like I have a much better understanding of the role of a Project manager and a great overview of the phases and steps in the project management process. I am now ready to dig deeper into this information.

By Buddhabrata C

May 08, 2018

I found a lot of the topics covered in this course helpful for Project Managers. Going forward I would like to see more case-studies involved. But to summarize, I would certainly recommend this course to professionals new to Project Management.

By Timothy C

Jul 16, 2017

Great overview of the core initial basic principles of project management. Helpful in enabling decision making, to pursue project management in more depth; as well as providing useful concepts, techniques and methodologies to apply immediately.

By Ian G

Dec 18, 2016

Very good instruction and I really liked that I can start and stop everything on my schedule. Also it helps when you miss something and you can just restart or go back to it. I also liked the discussion at the end with the Project Managers.

By Michelle M

Aug 01, 2017

Great coverage of the early phases of a project. I'd like to see the content reference PMBOK for newbies, but this course does a nice job of developing awareness and understanding of the Initiating & Planning Phases of the Project ifecycle.

By Miguel P

Aug 10, 2018

It is a very nice course to get an idea of Project Management and how to deal with the different situations that you could have to face on your day-to-day activities during the Project development. Very helpful and quite easy to understand.

By Dmitry E

Sep 02, 2015

Project management is usually associated with nervous activities and hard emotional states of participants but Margaret Meloni shows that it can be calm and smooth with excellent and clear explanations! It's amazing, she changed my mind!!!

By Amrit B

Jan 17, 2018

Great place to learn the application of the theoretical concepts that are given in PMBOK. The bonus lecture were great and the expert interviews also gave an insight into the project management practices followed by top level executives.

By Hilla P

Jan 14, 2017

I needed this course to more understand the work my organization deals with. now I have the knowledge i need to assist my manager in preparing and understanding the stakeholders, scope and human resources in planning our future projects.