Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

OU

Mar 27, 2018

This is absolutely worth everything that I invested into this course. And I do not mind studying it all over again! I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn project management. Thank you Margaret.

151 - 175 of 1,488 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Daniel S

Nov 24, 2017

This class actually helped me with my current projects and helped me realize why other projects took so long to complete. Planning is more crucial than we think..

By Carlos C N

Oct 18, 2016

I've learned so much in this course. I strongly recommend for all that intend to work in this area. Thank you so much for everyone that made this course possible.

By Filip N

Oct 18, 2016

This course delivers primary knowledge that is essential for developing project careers. It also provide useful tips that might be implemented on everyday habits.

By Christina Z

Nov 08, 2019

Great course! Very clear instruction with excellent visual aids and real-life case studies that helped me apply the concepts of initiating and planning projects.

By Sagar P

Nov 13, 2018

This course had a great way of learning the bases of project management. The course focuses not only the terms and definations but also has good examples of each

By Natali H

Oct 17, 2018

It was easy to learn all the concepts the way Margaret explains them, then reading the slides and the books, doing the case study and re-enforcing with the quiz.

By Sofja R

Jan 15, 2018

This course gives comprehensive understanding of the concept of project planning, I do recommend to start with it if you are planning to complete specialization.

By Dương V B

Jun 11, 2016

The knowledge which leturer provided is very useful and practical. I really like the way this course is designed, so easy to watch and understand. Thank so much!

By Ovenseri A

Feb 02, 2017

A very well laid out and presented course. Enjoyed every moment of study and gained really valuable knowledge and insight into project initiation and planning.

By Ismael S J

Oct 11, 2016

Thank you very much for all coursera has done for learners! this course has been an amazing experience so far, I'm looking forward to fishing the others steps!

By Tegbar A T

Jan 07, 2017

I highly recommend this course. It gave me a stable foundation of knowledge that I believe I can confidently tackle the next module in this series of courses.

By Mercedes E C A

Dec 17, 2016

Excelente curso, muy bien estructurado y la profesora muy profesional y con excelente manejo del contenido. Lo disfrute bastante, muchas gracias por el curso.

By Roberto A

Dec 27, 2019

Foi vendido como um programa integrado, com certificado, mas ao final o que temos é um certificado para cada curso isoladamente, o que não é a mesma coisa.

By Mason L

Aug 27, 2019

A fantastic place to start learning about project management. Not only that, it gives you an interesting and mind-opening view on how to approach any task.

By Mejje M T

Sep 16, 2019

It's a very good course for someone in the engineering field where he or she has to deal with handling projects that might involve different stakeholders.

By Adam V

Aug 29, 2019

Information is very well presented. Provides a sound introduction to the topic without weighing down the student by attempting to be overly comprehensive.

By Sheiva H

Feb 21, 2018

It was very nicely organized. Also, the professional panel in week 6 was very helpful especially for someone that has no experience in project management.

By Bianca C

Jun 04, 2017

Great introduction to the basics. I applied a lot of what was brought up here to the current project I'm leading. I wish I had started this class earlier!

By Jennifer K

Dec 11, 2016

I'm a full-time employee and new mom. The flexible format and ability to retake any quiz, was key to my ability to take and successfully pass this course.

By Aleksander B

Jul 27, 2016

This course have everything that basic course about project management should have, with strong basics of first steps - Initialing and Planning Projects.

By Pawan B B

Mar 06, 2018

It was really help full course for me to understand Project Management Concepts and scope of it. Study material and videos has helped me to clear my dou

By Mary M

Jul 09, 2017

very good introduction to a course that should be taught in elementary school...and not wait until college level for giving students this great material.

By Yusuf m

Jun 12, 2016

This is the best way to achieve my dreams , without this course it would be too hard to get an opportunity to be an project engineer. Thank you so much.

By Juan S H S

Dec 03, 2015

Me ha gustado el curso en su totalidad, la forma en la que exponen los temas y cómo cada cuestionario está realmente relacionado con lo que he aprendido.

By Daniel K D

Aug 10, 2016

My favorite was the panelist discussions. Its leverage knowledge with practical experience from elites in the field with expertise in project management