Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

OU

Mar 27, 2018

This is absolutely worth everything that I invested into this course. And I do not mind studying it all over again! I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn project management. Thank you Margaret.

151 - 175 of 2,076 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Riliwan D A

Apr 16, 2020

It is an insightful, educative and worth every minutes and resources invested on the learning. It is indeed an eye opener because it will optimally improve the level and manner in which i manage projects.

By Denise B

Aug 29, 2019

This course was very helpful and informative . It gave me the extra push that I needed to continue my learning on this topic. It covered every area needed to better understand projects and managing them.

By Mustafa A A G

Nov 20, 2016

All in all, the course if very beneficial. I really enjoyed it, especially the parts where I can find the content introduced in Storyline slides, in order to read about the parts that are a bit difficult.

By Jeffrey B

Jul 13, 2017

I adored this course. It was a breath of fresh air as far as topic and instructor go. The take-away from this course was sizable and I could apply all my learning the each day at work. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

By Pholile N D

Jan 29, 2020

By wangyuyan

Dec 13, 2016

I had finished the PMBOK 5th in the 2013,but I didn't know how to use the knowledge. This course helped me to understand the konwledge more clearly and told me many bonus Methods to use in the work.

By Arun C

Apr 26, 2020

I am having a past experience in the IT industry. Learning how my project manager worked made me feel more connected to the role and the responsibilities it comes with. Thank you for the course.

By Kira H

Jan 17, 2020

This course is extremely helpful to me as I begin to take on the role of Project Manager. I plan on coming back to this course as I move through my assignment and using it to help me do my job.

By ibrahim a

Apr 26, 2020

This course is really useful to know basics about what is going in a project, and i really liked the professor and the contents, it really helped me to have an overview about planning projects.

By Zuzana H

Oct 19, 2019

This was my first online course and I was afraid I would have a difficult time navigating the course but it could not have been easier and I was able to focus on my tasks, lectures and reading.

By Jose A G

May 08, 2016

It's a good start for those who want to learn about Project Management. In my case I want to refresh my knowledge and maybe use the Certificate Version to get the chace to take the test as PMP.

By SWATI J

Nov 20, 2019

This is a very well written, interactive course that provides a great foundation for Project Management learning. I highly recommend, with excellent case studies and all-encompassing quizzes.

By Akshay k C

May 15, 2020

It was my pleasure learning from University of California, Irvine.

And it was good platform for learning Intiating and Planning Projects,

And it's as simpler as learning through any platform..

By Claudia M

Jun 04, 2017

I'm very glad I took this course! It actually helped me organise the project I manage better and it gave the tools to have a better perspective on the approach. Surely a good recommendation!

By CHAYANIT N

Jan 04, 2020

Excellent and very practical courses. The examples/questions from the real life gave a me a crutial understanding of the course, especially the penalist session at the end, was of much use.

By Timbake D

Mar 20, 2018

This course was not only organized really great with rich, various and quality content/slides, but also apply materials as well as useful links. They helped me to learn alot week by week.

By Cristina H

Feb 12, 2020

Very helpful for beginners in project management. Concepts are introduced gradually and with relevant examples. The videos also make the learning process and content much more friendlier.

By Saidat O

Dec 13, 2018

Very insightful. Liked the different types of learning resources and I've definitely come away with a better understanding of project management and what it takes to be a project manager.

By Anna D S

Jul 03, 2017

Nicely presented, very practical. Definitely recommend to those starting their project management careers as well as those who learned by do and need more technical insight on the matter.

By Rajkumar T

Jun 28, 2017

It is really a great start for the program managers to learn the simple and effective techniques to improve the efficiency and performance of individual contribution and the overall proje

By Aditya D K

Apr 20, 2020

It was a great course. It helped me in deeply understanding the stakeholder management along with other necessary aspects which are to be considered at the initial stages of the project.

By Harshvardhan T

The Course introduces you to the world of Project Management right from the start and helps you to know and gain the know how as to how you should act in the role of an Project Manager.

By Raymond L C

Apr 26, 2020

This course is very informative. I recommend this to people who want to learn basic Initiating and Planning and start developing your self as a good Project Manager. Job well done here.

By Gordon Q M

Aug 02, 2018

This course can be applied to your personal life and you will immediately see improvements in your planning and logic when you take the time to use those tools learned from this course.

By Deepali K

Feb 25, 2018

Great content, specially the inclusion of chapter/lesson excerpts from PMBOK guide. The flash lesson modules also make it easy to grasp the content. Overall a great learning experience.