Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS
Nov 19, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

BS
Jul 5, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

226 - 250 of 3,756 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Immanuel V

Apr 1, 2020

Great introduction to the topic. I have been engaged with project management in practice but was missing the theoretical foundation to back me up. I've learned a lot and will surely use it in the future. Thumbs up ;)

By MIAN S R

Oct 11, 2016

A simple and well organised first of the course regarding project management. As a bachelor of Mechatronics Engineer and currently enrolled in engineering management Master program, it really helped me a lot. thanks.

By Ricmar P M

Sep 15, 2020

I picked up important key points especially that I will have an interview for a project manager position in the coming days. Thank you for a very interesting, clear and concise course. Cant wait for the next stage.

By Dennis A S Y

Jul 12, 2020

I have widening my knowledge about project management and hope to exercise some of these skills learn from this course tp establish a better and a productive project. Thanks to the sponsors and tutor of this course

By César B V C

Aug 14, 2019

Ha sido muy útil lo aprendido.

He podido estructurar el desarrollo de los proyectos y dar un seguimiento que me ha ayudado a concretarlos. Cada Proyecto ha sido un reto diferente y ha dado frutos de manera positiva.

By LYNELLE T W Q

Jul 24, 2020

It is a great course to begin learning about project management and planning. The course structure was easy to follow and the powerpoint slides were particularly helpful in rehashing the points made in the videos.

By Gautam A K

Aug 5, 2019

Excellent course, well structured and presented. To get the total benefit of this course, I would recommend completing all courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization.

By KALP S

The course flow is extremely good and the way the expert delivers the course material and information is great. I do recommend this course for those who really want to grow in the field of the project management.

By Mouna L

Apr 19, 2020

The course is really amazing, including a lot of amazing informations to become a leader project manager. What I liked the most is the week 6 content including the sharing of expertise with some Project Managers.

By Thelma T A

Sep 18, 2017

This course is very interesting and the tutor Margaret Meloni is exceptional. She made it a great experience. It didn't even feel like i was taking a course and doing my job at the same time. I loved it. Thanks.

By Calla B

Apr 13, 2018

I get more basic knowledge for starting job as Project manager and have the deep understanding about these concepts, process, example or situations and solutions may be I will catch in my projects in the future.

By Aravind K

Mar 24, 2020

Although I took this course being a fairly experienced Project Manager, I learnt few new concepts. I suggest this course for a beginner Project Manager as it covers the real basics needed for a Project Manager

By Abidfaiz

Apr 21, 2018

I really enjoy this course, I know about the basics which help me in field,learnt tool and techniques which will be further helpful in related courses.I strongly recommended this course belonging from any field

By RANI M S

Apr 12, 2021

im glad to learn from coursera about project management and others tools for career and make me think about the importants of project management and do the things in properly maintaining before the deadlines.

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent overview and introduction to the material. Found it very supportive of the reading and gave me a much greater understanding of the subject matter. It was also presented in easily digestible pieces.

By Michael Y

Jul 4, 2016

Very well structured and well thought out course. The videos were insightful as they provided real advise that is relatable to many different career fields. I would recommend this course and program to others.

By Annie H

May 4, 2019

Provide you with the first basic overview of how a project works academically, information is clear and easy to understand, the suggestion on reading materials is helpful. thank you for uploading this course!

By M A Z

May 3, 2020

I loved the tutor's way of teaching. The way she engage the audience/students is amazing. Even though the audience is virtual but the method is very effective. Looking forward to learn more courses from her.

By Derek P

h

p

c

s

This course id very good. Its a great introduction for beginners and a refresher for practitioners. Highly recommend it to others

By Reza K

Mar 19, 2018

Fantastic course, taught with the principle that can easily be applied in real life scenarios and the ease of doing project management vibe I got from this course. Thank you Margaret and UCI for this course.

By Charles N

Apr 23, 2017

Very well put together and engaging for budding project managers. Providing the key to the PMBOK was very helpful as I begin to navigate the process toward PMP and project management in a large organization.

By Drew C

Jan 2, 2021

Streamlined and excellent introduction (or review) of the basics of initiating and planning projects. However, it seems geared to traditional waterfall projects and not to agile-oriented project management.

By Bishnu B A

Aug 24, 2020

the course is very simplified, which cover all the important requirements for initiating and managing the project successfully. i have learned a lot which helped me a lot to manage my section successfully.

By Prateekshya A

Jul 2, 2019

Amazing coursework and even better presentation skills ensured that I actually enjoyed learning the content. Will recommend to anyone who's interested in getting a grasp on the basics of Project Management.

By Renato A

Oct 8, 2017

Excellent. It shows in an understandable way the initiation and planning of projects, and the lessons integrate very nicely with the PMBOK. I love specially the way this course shows how to "read" the PMBOK