Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

MH

Jun 25, 2020

This course provides some practical situation which enriches my acknowledgment about being a responsible in any project and it also helps me to understand the planning process management proficiently!

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

51 - 75 of 2,552 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Mahmudur R

Jun 29, 2020

Honestly, I didn't know a lot about project management that have learned here. PMBOK guide is really a helpful supplement. And the matrix-based analysis was much more understandable for me. I Experienced as a real project manager. I tried to learn the lessons more efficiently. Thanks to Coursera, UCI, and all the associates for this opportunity.

By Sandeep S

Mar 31, 2020

This was first course with the organization, having 20yrs above experience in the industry. Planned to upgrade my knowledge skills seeking your help. Well must say morale is boosted & feel quite motivated for having learnt the strategic ways of engagement which were missed so far in my role towards the organization working for. Thanking you.

By Amos S U

Jan 28, 2019

This course is highly recommended to all those doing and planning to make projects.

The knowledge and skills in this course can make someone to make and have a successful project.

Great thanks goes to An instructor and the coursera supporters for enabling me to attain these skills and knowledge.

99% are applicable for a successful project.

By Fotios K

Jul 24, 2020

This course really helps understanding the primary phases of project management. Margaret Meloni is excellent in presenting this course. I already knew some basic info about the PMBOK but with this course i have learnt a lot more than previously. I really reccomend this course to anyone wanting to learn how project managements works.

By Asha S

It was an amazing experience learning about projects. This course has helped me understand various ways in which organisations can work. It has also provided me with knowledge to manage human resources. Overall, its a good course for the beginners to get the basics. Thank You to the whole team for University of California, Irvine.

By Alexandra-Veronica T

Apr 24, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. I liked how it was structured and the duration of each video. I was able to take this online class during my work schedule, because it did not impact my program. I enjoyed a lot professor Margaret Meloni and the way she delivered her speeches. She inspired me on how to deliver my own speeche

By Yohan S

Jun 02, 2016

Great course. Gave me a good overview, actually more than an overview, of project management. Lecture was to the point and easy to understand. Lessons were presented in a very informative and logical manner. I really enjoyed the video tips at the end of each lesson and the panelist discussion in the last lesson.

By Gregory M

Dec 03, 2017

This course was an excellent introduction to Project Management. The material was well laid out and the pace was good. I recommend that any one challenging the course obtain a copy of the PBOK guide, for the recommended readings. You can successfully complete the course with out it but I found it added depth.

Apr 14, 2016

I found this course to be invigorating, knowledgeable, and relevant. I am very happy I took it. I will be able to immediately use the skills I learned. I hope to learn as much in the next course leading to my goal to a specialization. Thanks for all the support, and making my time here worth all the effort.

By Kenneth L

Mar 22, 2016

This is a well written course, the video lessons are very helpful. Because of Coursera.org, I have improved my knowledge and understanding of project management 100%. This is a big help on my job, thank you so much. Since I am working, being able to stop and come back to finish the lesson is a huge benefit.

By MAWIEN M M

May 12, 2020

Thank you very to UCI for such opportunity. I am fully satisfied with the course and I can't wait to get into the next course

I highly recommended this course to those who would like to take Project management as part of their career.

Thank you so much once again Margret Melon , You're really incomparable

By Chea M C

Jun 09, 2020

Good trainer and very informative! The best I like is the videos do not spent too long to explain the concept if compare to some other online courses that I have taken in another online learning portal. Sharing of experiences also make us have a better overview about handling in the real world. Awesome!

By Humayoon

Mar 29, 2020

This course covers all information regarding Project Planning, formation of management team, organizational structures, and documentation process which enhance the quality and learning in the course.

I will recommend this course to all candidates who are willing to opt Project Management Career. Thanks !

By Farooq A

Apr 04, 2019

Amazing course and platform. For the first time I learnt about it, and the way the concepts were cleared was amazing. I wish if I could enroll some other subjects, or in the near future. Last but not the least HEC Pakistan played a great role for the students to use this productive and free platform.

By Ana I C

This course is really great cause it covers the basics, meaning students or individuals who are beginners will have no problem learning the basics of Project Management. This initial part of the course may be quite technical and easy, but it's a nice means to start how a Project Manager should think.

By ani d

Nov 05, 2016

I really liked this course. I find the content and materials delivered very interesting and useful for my career development.

However, I find that there are too many opportunities to pass each week, which makes the course extremely easy to pass for everyone even without trying hard (moral hazard :) )

By Sherry-Ann D

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interactive, simple to understand and I enjoyed the different teaching styles with the readings, videos and little exercises within the material. Very engaging. The panel interviews added a nice practical touch to the course as it shows what we learn is not just theory but rather useful.

By Michael W

Jun 27, 2017

excellent prep. lots of info in this course. i personally passed it 100% o first try, but feel in need to take once or twice in full to digest all info within this course. overall great learning opportunity and very comprehensive. Good mix of video and reading and valuable blend of info sources

By Maurici P

Feb 12, 2017

Very Good course to initiate yourself on Project Management. It makes a good job at teaching you the basics and showing you which tools are available to project managers.

That said, it doesn't do a lot of emphasis on how to use those tools, but that information you can easily find it elsewhere.

By Amar N S

Nov 27, 2017

First of all i would like to thank Margaret Meloni for her sincere efforts for making us understand the basics of project management. this course gives us very good idea about the initiation activities of a project, human resource management , organization structures and conflict management.

By Sandeep M J

Apr 19, 2020

It was a very wonderful and well designed course. Module wise extra reading and the perfect quizzes have built the confidence in the learner as course progresses. The lecture videos are very good and helped me to comprehend the concepts. It was a very nice and pleasing learning experience.

By Natnael D

Jul 02, 2019

Extremely well versed and well read instructor with a very good understanding of what is important and what is not so much in an introductory course. Relevant subject matter and the course was laid out in a very organized and logical way. Would recommend to anyone interested in this field.

By Victoria N W

Jun 05, 2020

This course was very easy to follow along with. The videos and the course activities were interactive, tons of important information from all courses. This certificate took me less than a month to complete, working for a couple of hours twice a week. I highly recommend this certification.

By Mya M

Nov 05, 2016

This was very informative course, especially with the optional readings. I learned a lot of the basics around initiating and planning projects as well as the terminology around this area in project management. The videos were informative while being short enough to watch in one sitting.

By Joelle C S

Jun 14, 2016

This is a fantastic introductory course for anyone with Project Management responsibilities. It gives you an overview of the basic skills and requirements needed to be a successful project manager and introduces first techniques on how to best manage scope, key stakeholders and conflict.