Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

PD
Jan 28, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

SY
Aug 30, 2020

The course is a very great asset to any aspiring project manager. You get to understand the fundamentals and essentials in any given project and the means to ameliorate conflicts amongst stakeholders.

201 - 225 of 3,800 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Rana T H

Jul 11, 2020

I think everyone who is interested in project management should have to take this course. Here you can learn how to tackle problems related to stakeholders and much more about planning and executing the project assigned to you.

By Muhammad B H

This is a good course to learn project management with very detailed information and good explanation. I'd suggest to add more study case especially on risk management and "how to" create a good plan and execution of a project.

By SSEMBATYA E

Aug 9, 2020

Am so happy that my current project is propelled by the knowledge and skills of Project management acquired from UCI . Thanks a lot , it has really worked for me. Never will my projects hit dead end. Am sky rocking at moment.

By ATHAVALE K M

This course is perfectly designed for the professionals in the field as well as for the fresher professionals. The concepts regarding the project management are easily taught in an easier and more user friendly way

Best wishes

By Jacyara d O

Nov 4, 2016

Very well organized course. Not exactly what I was hoping to get into, but I'm glad I took it. I think I will be a better and more organized project manager, even if I am not applying these principles to such a specific task.

By Aaron O

Nov 29, 2020

This was a very interesting course, and allowed me to understand what the project managers in my department do in much more detail. I would like to be a PM one day, so this has gave me a better idea of what will be expected.

By Ahmed F A

Oct 13, 2020

Very information course. Easy to follow lectures. Wonderful Bonus Materials. It equips you with all the necessary concepts, while opening the door for you to delve deep in the each of the knowledge areas. Highly recommended.

By Othoi K R

Jun 29, 2020

It is a very basic course. If you are a beginner thinking to take the course, do not get scared just start it. I understood the basics for project management through this course without any previous knowledge in this sector.

By Ovakporoye A

Jan 31, 2020

I had a lot of fun learning this course, Margaret made it especially easy, and the Panelist interview answered questions I often was confused about, and it also gave me the confidence about my approach to project management.

By Josef L

Nov 26, 2017

Enjoying this very much. It is directly applicable to my current line of work and I am finding ways to employ what I am learning on a daily basis. This is making me better at my job and I am happy to be part of this program.

By SHERYLL A M L

Jan 25, 2021

THE COURSE INITIATING AND PLANNING PROJECTS HAS PAVED THE WAY FOR MY SELF IMPROVEMENT AS A PROFESSIONAL WHICH BENEFITS NOT ONLY THE PERSONS I WORKED WITH BUT MOST OF ALL TO THE ORGANIZATION THAT I BELONG.

THANK YOU COURSERA!

By Tasfia A M

Apr 30, 2017

The course was really elaborate and resourceful. I have already recommended my colleagues to do this course. I am planning to enroll myself into the next course of the Project Management - Budgeting and Scheduling Projects.

By Karla A

Apr 19, 2021

You always ask yourself, where do I start? This course helps you have a mental image of wich are the first steps to take in consideration to beggin to establish an order in your project, and from there everything adds up.

By William A

May 18, 2018

Very nice alternative to brick and mortar classrooms. Easy to keep up with the work and review what you have learned. I do recommend picking up the suggested text to aid you on your journey if you plan to take this course.

By Natalia K

Jun 12, 2017

I really enjoyed the examples and the lectures, very easy to understand, even for non-english speakers. This course will be very helpful to get a masters degree in Project Administration here in Mexico City, so, thank you!

By Barış Y C

Dec 19, 2020

My course, which I applied, believing that it would be very helpful for me to improve myself, is finally finished. This course gave me very good information and helped me to advance my management goal in my business life.

By Faith A I R

Sep 19, 2020

This is an excellent course for anyone seeking to study Project Management. It is clear and comprehensive and affords you the opportunity to work at your own pace. I highly recommend this course to interested persons!!!!

By Gabe R P

Aug 23, 2020

I really grateful to complete this course, because today after all of this material that I've just finished, I know how important the theoretical of project management it is & how to implement all of that part in my work.

By Suhas M

May 8, 2020

It's a really good course. The course gives detail information and knowledge about Initiating and Planning process in projects. As a recent master graduate, I was able to relate each and every step thought in the modules.

By Rebecca T

Jun 12, 2019

Very easy, well-organized, and straightforward course for anyone who is brand new to project management. If you already have experience in this field, this course will be too easy for you, but it is perfect for beginners.

By Verny C

Dec 4, 2016

Highly concise but practical oriented course. It has great resource diversity in order to make learning experience interesting. Presenter complementary as well as panelist wrap-up's videos were very useful and motivating.

By Bruno A P

Apr 8, 2016

Content is very well organized within flash presentation and video lectures that are complementary to one another and also interrelated. The step by step approach really helps students to go through its content smoothly.

By Tajira M I

Dec 5, 2020

The course was very effective and efficient. The skills I learned here include: basic knowledge in project management, risk management, cost management, communication and other areas.

I recommend this course to everyone.

By Maisa H

Mar 16, 2017

Excellent course! It definitely provides a smooth way of introducing Project Management from a high-level and shot the big picture. I also like the use of situational exercises to confirm my understanding of the course.

By Adebola T

May 21, 2017

This is one of the best comprehensive online course I have come across. Highly detailed with case studies to broaden one's knowledge. However, a timer should be set to the quiz questions to shape up takers of the quiz